can anyone shed some light on this? i have a quad core with three gigs of ram now that i dont use, i am looking to make a dvr out of it. however, it only has one pci slot, one pci 1x slot, and one pci xpress x16 slot which is in use. its running vista. what needs to be done and purchased to make a dvr? i am looking at 10 cameras, based on what i have seen i need a 16 camera setup. the only 16 channel cards i see have a large connector on it, what goes on the other end of that so i can hook up my bnc connectors to it?

all 16 channel dvr's have a large connector that breaks out to 16 BNC & X audio (RCA) connectors. connect as you wish.............

all 16 channel dvr's have a large connector that breaks out to 16 BNC & X audio (RCA) connectors. connect as you wish.............

does this have to be purchased seperately? do you have a picture of it?

edit: i am pretty much set on the GeoVision GV1480 combo card. I found it for $1100 on a good reputable site. I just have a few questions before I make a purchase, I only have one PCI slot, what should I go with, the DVI or the Dtype? Also, can the codec be adjusted in the settings? Is h264 the "best" codec?

get the standard D-type, or if you have room between the PCI-e x1 and the PCIex16 and have a decent PSU you could get the PCI-e card instead (uses PCI-e x1 and gets power from the PSU). Depends on the motherboard, what model is it?

If you want to be "safe" just get the GV-800.

As mentioned all 16 channel DVR Cards come with the "pigtails"

get the standard D-type, or if you have room between the PCI-e x1 and the PCIex16 and have a decent PSU you could get the PCI-e card instead (uses PCI-e x1 and gets power from the PSU). Depends on the motherboard, what model is it?

If you want to be "safe" just get the GV-800.

As mentioned all 16 channel DVR Cards come with the "pigtails"

forgive me for asking a noob question but can the cameras be monitored remotely accross a lan/wan with a program or through internet explorer/ff?

Yes, once you a DVR that has LAN. With the PC based ofcourse most if not all will have that feature. With Geo you can use browser based or client based apps.

Yes, once you a DVR that has LAN. With the PC based ofcourse most if not all will have that feature. With Geo you can use browser based or client based apps.

very cool, anything else i should know before i place an order?

You need to do your home work first.

1. What brand capture system. (GEO, EYEMAX, ECT.)

2. What are the specs need for this model? Motherboard, cpu, ram, harddrive size, ect.

3. Then order all parts read all books and pdf's that come with the system and then build the system.

4. Then tweak the system it will not work like you want it to right out of the box.

I was in the exact same position as yourself and i went for the Geovision 1480. Cannot complain at all. A couple of quirks with the software, but i just have strange needs.

The installation was very easy. The capability of the card is great. Running 16 cams and 16 microphones all into the 1 computers, and just so many features.

Incidentally, i would only go for this with Intel based chipsets and processors. Anything else can cause problems apparently.