Sign in to follow this  
grs

Trying to understand it all?!?

I may be putting this in the wrong section, sorry if I am!.

I'm completely new to CCTV and I was wondering how it's done with IP cams and a home PC.

Where I work they have an Eneo system which uses IP cams as well as older analogue cams from the previous system, I've only had a quick look at it.

Do all the cams go into a switch then the PC?

If I'm running Windows what programs could I use to record and monitor, any free ones?

Are there any program to turn to turn my Pc into a dedicated box, what I mean is, will it act as Operating System, if so can it be run headless and managed over a network webgui or similar interface?

grs

yes if you are using more IP cam they go into a switch [POE] this means they send power up the cable for the camera.

Free DVR software is everywhere -milestone, axis are good and give a free

1 channel versions

they run on top of the OS -XP etc .

there maybe some cut down versions of LINUX that are standalone. but it will run the vendors software anyway.

z

Exacq has a version that runs on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS)and allows you to run the recording server on that box, and the client (Windows or Linux) on another PC.. When just recording, the CPU load is extremely low, suited to a very minimal PC requirement, but when viewing, the load goes up significantly. I also use Milestone frequently.. Pricey, but you do get what you pay for. Both have one channel evaluations around to try out.