jimski

configure a cable modem for remote veiwing

Im about to change from dsl to a cable modem for remote veiw ,do i have to set up a cable modem in the same manner as a dsl modem to veiw remotly?Or will it just connect direct to a cble modem without set up,any help would be greatly apreciated..

Cable modems come with their unique IP address.. most dsl lines (verizon that i know of) don't and you have to pay an extra $10-15 a month for static IP, otherwise you have an internal network ip address. So check the price of a static IP address with your provider. And compare to cable modem price.

So with a cable modem you just plug it right in and get your real world IP address. But cable modem IP addresses change every now and again. So you may want to dig around for a "freeware" app that emails you you IP address if it changes(download dot com i think had one or 2 of them)

And if you have a router with cable modem all you have to do it port forward any IP addresses to the machine you want.. no need to do anything else with DMZ or stuff like that.

But if your plugging in directly to cable modem make sure you get a software based firewall as people constantly scan cablemodem IP addresses. but if your behind a router.. then you are ok.

WoW a program that emails ip adress to me can u explain more about it becouse this is my problem with verizon dsl the ip keeps on changing and i have to go to the location to get the new ip. Thanks that the location is close and i do not have to go far but 3 or 4 miles, it does becomes a pain in the butt.

Can u please explain about the prog that emails ip adress sounds interesting and i may not have to switch to cable modem. The cable at my house runs constantly for months on end and does not change ip adress so i figured it would be my best bet to get cable in the remote location instead of dsl,becouse dsl the ip changes sometimes every other week or sometimes days pain in the butt..

WoW a program that emails ip adress to me can u explain more about it becouse this is my problem with verizon dsl the ip keeps on changing and i have to go to the location to get the new ip. Thanks that the location is close and i do not have to go far but 3 or 4 miles, it does becomes a pain in the butt.

Can u please explain about the prog that emails ip adress sounds interesting and i may not have to switch to cable modem. The cable at my house runs constantly for months on end and does not change ip adress so i figured it would be my best bet to get cable in the remote location instead of dsl,becouse dsl the ip changes sometimes every other week or sometimes days pain in the butt..

no-ip.com

get their http://www.download.com/No-IP-DUC-Dynamic-Update-Client-/3000-2165-10055182.html?part=dl-NoIPDUCDy&subj=dl&tag=button

does exactly what u want

thanks for the reply, this is great.I just found another prog called gateway ip monitor any1 ever use this seems allright

Thanks for all youre help but when i read i cannot comprehend it all. So i was hoping i could be walked thru it all. Or maybe something more easier to use any suggestions thanks

Simple:

Either install the software on the unit (if it's PC Based), or utilize the routers Dynamic DNS Function. You get an account with No-ip.org, or with the Dynamic DNS service that your router has, and they will assign you address, for example:

security.no-ip.org, now all you have to do is enter that address, no more worrying about what the IP address is.

No-ip.org has free accounts, and so do more DDNS services.

Hope that helps.

if you have public ip. what you can do is you can use the DDNS function of your router or use the DDNS function of your DVR if you dont have a router.

if you have a private ip. what you can do is use the vpn software hamachi and you need port tunnel to use Dedicated DVR.

the setup will will be like this. you need a computer running vpn software and port tunnel. and a dvr connected on the network together with the computer. the vpn software will enable you to see the computer with private ip and the port tunnel software will forward you to the DVR when you access the computer.

for PC based system. installing hamachi vpn software will do.

Note: client side must install hamachi and must be with the same group to be able to access the dvr.

Wanted to thank everyone for there suggestions and help especailly ak357 for offering to give a walk thru setup on this,I managed to set up a no ip account and actually getting it to work.So i am going to keep dsl,despite ip changing every other week or so.Thanks to all