carter

Help with wireless questions

Hi guys,

I have bought a business across the street about 100 yds away(we are on a dead end side street with limited traffic). The business has 6 cameras wired to the office into a stand alone dvr. Is it possible to send the video from the dvr to my office across the street through a wireless transmission so I can observe on a monitor during my bus. hours. Or is there a device that can receive the 6 wired cameras(Multiplexer?) and send the video over a wireless transmission to a dvr based in my office?

Thanks a bunch for the help,

Carter

The DVR is probably network accessible, so yes you can easily network it across the street. If only 100 yards and line of sight is ok, you can do it with off the shelf equipment....maybe 2 wireless access points both with a directional antenna. Probably worth having a local network tech hook it up, but as a whole shouldn't be more than $3-500 total.

Take a look at Tranzeo. We use them at the local schools to wirelessly bridge portable classrooms and stuff. And you may want to consider networking the businesses while you are at it. One advantage is you could share internet access and drop one of your monthly internet access bills. If you did that your Return On Investment could be as short as 1 year or so.

Sounds like a fun project! Are you looking for an IT firm in Northern California?

Also check out EnGenius Wireless products. I'm using 2 of their EOC-3610S outdoor access points and they work great and they are cheap. You can mount these on the outside of the building so you can get the best signal. If the DVR is no network accessible you can use video encoders to stream the cameras to your office. Then you can have both offices record on one NVR.

you could put an wireless AP on the DVR's network port and bingo !

then you can use a [PC & WIFi client] -and its secure

-maybe a 16Dbi + WIFI antenna pointing back to your base to make sure the signal gets there.

sending out encrypted analog video would be cheap & nasty !

my 2c