Cory

G4-400HPT

I was wanting to see if anyone else was having issues with any cameras from G4. We have been installing these and have had to replace about 6 of them. It is the G4-400HPT, that we are having issues with.

Has anyone else installed these or had this issue on a different camera?

IMG00067.jpg.d9d5e9661dd620a7e2b0b38c19aa1783.jpg

What kind of problems have you been having??? Are the units just turning colors? I was going to buy three of these for the house would you recommend them? Thanks

The problem we have been having with the cameras is that they; 1) are turning colors black to gold, and 2) we have had a few cameras get moisture inside the lens. The moisture issues is our main problem, and the color is just a matter of looks. I don't know if we just got a bad lot of them or what is going on, it seems that if they are not in the sun they don't change color and continue to work fine. Overall they seem like a good camera, if you need the verifocal abilities.

Hi dopalgangr,

It's Mike. When we spoke on the phone on Saturday, I believe you asked the same question and my response was yes. I stand corrected as I was confusing this cam with the P540X cam. The 400HPT does not but the ISC-P540X cam does.

Also, I have experienced the discoloring of the case AND the water penetration BUT as mentioned, it is a cosmetic issue with the case color not that that's not an issue in itself but does not affect cam performance.

I have found that this water issue is that when the case expands in the sun and then shrinks at night that the screws holding the plates on the cam become "loose". Very typical of any metal object when exposed to heat and cold. Not so loose you can turn them with your fingers but loose enough to allow it to suck a tiny bit of moisture. I have simply snugged them up and Have never had a similar problem with any one cam that I done this with since. Now as a pre-installation of these cams, I tighten the screws just to be sure before installation.

Sorry about the wrong info:?

Mike

Mike, I'm glad to see that someone else has had issues with these cameras. The company, has acted as though we are the only ones with this issue.

What screws are you tightening up to prevent the water from getting in? The issue I have is that some of the sites we are using these at, are 30-50 feet high. We can't climb up every day and snug up a few screws.

Any suggestions?

Found the issue:

These cameras have a removable lens, Why they do on a outdoor camera makes no sense to me but.... Anyway, this should take care of the water issue. Some cameras I was able to tighten the lens 1/8th of a turn others were almost half a turn. I will see if this completely resolves the issue and post back.

Sorry, I don't have any video at this time. These cameras are at a client site and I won't send out my clients video feeds.

So for outdoor use for a residence would the P540X be worth the extra over the 400HPT ?

Some comparison images would be neat to see between the two.

Justin

So for outdoor use for a residence would the P540X be worth the extra over the 400HPT ?

Some comparison images would be neat to see between the two.

Justin

Cory, would you recommend the 400HPT? Have you ever used the p540x, if so is it better in your opinion?

I have never used the P540X, so I can't really say. The 400 HPT is a good camera, I am just not happy with the cosmetic issue, and also that the lens comes off, with it being an outdoor camera. I would have to say it depends on your application. We use these cameras to cover a wide area, zoomed out to around 3.6mm. If you are wanting to cover a parking lot or large area, then these are ok if you can live with the color change, and are putting them were it is easy to access if you need to clean the lens out. The other camera that we use is the G4-480DNS This is a really good camera that we haven't had any issues with. It is smaller and allows for more positioning with its mounting bracket.

Cory

looking at buying these cameras to install under a roofing soffet on a residential house.

I assume being under the soffet its unlikly that il get much color change on the outside of the product.

Anyone still recomend using these?

Hi,

It has been my experience that any UV exposure will discolor the camera housing. Having said that, under the soffet will probably eliminate this issue. Also, this camera mounts to a vertical wall and is not conducive for mounting on a horizontal surface. Be sure to leave enough room above the camera to allow for tilting adjustment.

Additionally, insure prior to installation, that the lens cover is tight to prevent ingress of moisture as mentioned previously in this thread.

Thanks

Mike

thanks for the info mike -

Was looking at the - Universal Mounting Bracket - Black- CMB-1B

on intellicams site - do you happen to know if this works with the 400HPT?

in order to soffet mount it?

Secondly - and slightly unrelated - how good is the G4 XLA dvr in relation to the Specco EZVR4 - as they seem to be around the same price?

This camera will not accomadate the CMB-1B Bracket that you refer to. I am familiar with the mount in question as I have used them with other cams.

As far as a comparison between DVR's - There is none!!! I have never experienced the Speco first hand. I did however research it and if you are going to spend the same money, you are much much better off with an XLA or something equivlant. The Speco does not offer remote viewing, does not allow to adjust frame rates between cameras and a host of other features, not pentaplex, not H.264 compression ( the Speco is M-JPEG ? ). Although I do sell the XLA, in my opinion and if it's around the same money, you are better off with the XLA or something similar to it's specs.

Hope this helped.

Mike