bobw

avtech DVD Writer

If I buy a DVD writer and change it for the CD writer in an avc 782 will it see it as a DVD and work OK?

Thanks

Bob

Nobody seems to know the answer to this. What would your educated guesses be?

i wondered the same thing for other brand dvr's as well. i'd simply plug one in and see what happens. takes the same voltage, so i doubt you'd fry anything. i know when mine arrives with it's cd burner, i'll be trying to install a spare dvd burner i have laying around.

Somewhere I saw a reference to this upgrade recently that indicated that it does work.

i just got my dvr today from dvrmaster. before i even looked at the manual, i opened it up, took out the cd burner, and put in my sony dru500a. lol, first dvd burner i ever bought. had it in storage. did a 2 minute recording to a dvd-r. it took a few minutes to close the disc. i took it to my laptop, and to my surprise, it automatically burned the player software to the dvd. it loaded right up and let me watch the video. also had the ability to take snapshots. so, in conclusion, i guess anyone wanting to do this should simply try. only issue i had was my dvd burner was longer than the cd drive the unit shipped with. it is right up against the power supply. i had just enough room to plug in the ide cable and power plug.

i got the DM-ProView-1209 from dvr master. i'm still mounting the power box, running cables etc. just got one cam temporarily hooked up. but so far i like what i see. still gotta network it tonight and mess with the settings. will post any issues i find as i go. hopefully none. i have it hooked up to my samsung 20 inch syncmaster. dvr has vga out. i was going to sell the lcd, got a 28 inch now, but i'm glad i had no buyers. gonna keep it for my cams.

Can you play direct from avtech's cd backup ?

I tried a couple before, and it prompt to "fix it" (same as sometimes when you download a network backup).

And a 650mb backup takes like 1 hour plus to "fix". Damm ridiculas......