mfmjos

Add network view to standalone DVR without it

I have a 4 camera, dedicated DVR that does not have a network interface. I know now that it was not the best purchase now that I know a little more. However, I have it and I'd like to add the ability to view the video over the network. Is there some type of device that I can buy to add this capability to my system? Also if there is such a device is it so expensive that I'd be better off going with a new system that has this capability built in?

Thanks!

There are video servers that would allow you to view your cameras. They are generally more expensive then if you had bought the same DVR with the network option. The drawback is you won't be able to control the DVR. So no playback or switching cameras and such.

If I were you I would check out slingbox. It is basically a consumer grade video server that supports IR remote control for thousands of devices. It is designed to allow you to remotely watch/control your TV. But if your cctv DRV supports IR remote control you may be able to gain at least some limited control through the slingbox.

And then someday when you decide to upgrade your cctv DVR you can then use the slingbox for your TiVo!

The slingbox AV looks like it will do exactly what I want. One source, not HD, stick it on the network! Bonus, not hugely expensive. I'm not terribly concerned about controlling the DVR, that would be nice though, and it might work.

Thanks!