P4yfir3

Geovision & vista compatibility?

Building a new DVR, want to use Vista so I can use more than 3g RAM access.

Is the gv-1480 compatible with vista? has anyone benchtested it?

Also if I use the gv-1480 card with 16 analogue cameras, with the new software version can I then add IP cameras? how many can be installed on the system.

Cheers

As long as it is the 32 bit version, and it is a recent card that will support GeoVision software 8.12 or above, then you will not have any problems.

Building a new DVR, want to use Vista

Why would you want to do that? You can use 4 gigs in and xp machine.

The only difference between vista and xp is that with vista you need at least 3 gigs with xp 2 is sufficient, in my opinion.

Building a new DVR, want to use Vista

Why would you want to do that? You can use 4 gigs in and xp machine.

The only difference between vista and xp is that with vista you need at least 3 gigs with xp 2 is sufficient, in my opinion.

A 32 bit Vista doesn't see any more memory than a 32bit XP does. You can put in 4 gigs but it won't see much more than 3 gigs of that. 64 bit OS would, but Geovision doesn't support them.

So, stick with XP.

A 32 bit Vista doesn't see any more memory than a 32bit XP does. You can put in 4 gigs but it won't see much more than 3 gigs of that. 64 bit OS would, but Geovision doesn't support them.

So, stick with XP.

Exactly

They see it they just keep it in reserve to run os & apps.

thanks for the info guys!

was looking at he 64bit version of vista, but have heard there are many problems with drivers & compatibility

thanks for the info guys!

was looking at he 64bit version of vista, but have heard there are many problems with drivers & compatibility

Geo doesnt work with 64bit Vista - least not the hardware/drivers.

won't work with xp 64 bit either.

let me know where you can buy XP 64 bit and I will be forever in your debt

I would check various places online for versions of XP Pro 64bit it is widely available I believe newegg even sells an OEM version.

Microsoft Operating systems I have tested a GV-1480 on are as follows.

Windows 2000

- Works Great, Stable system, MS no longer supports but who cares.

Windows XP Home 32 Bit

- No problems whatsoever only diffrence between XP Home and Pro is supposadly being able to join a domain and use Remote desktop but there is a way to get XP home to join a domain and much better methods of Remote desktop.

Windows XP Pro 32 Bit

- Same as Above but can join a domain out of the box and use MS remote Desktop.

Windows XP 64Bit

- Do not try with Geovision cards.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit

- i have not tried anything below Home premium but i would assume Basic would even work without issue. I normally shut off all extra graphical enhancements on my PC based DVR's and strip most of the installed systems down to bare essentials My belief the system is built to be a CCTV system and that is it's task. I know they say you can surf the web on the same system and use it as a normal everyday computer but I do not tell my customers that since as soon as they get some spyware or a virus guess what they want to blame. but I have not had a problem with the GV-1480 card on Vista Home premium.

Windows Vista business & Ultimate

- Currently what i am using at my office and at home with my GV-1240 at home and GV-1480 at the Office. i should not have to tell you that there is not much of a diffrence between these two versions of Vista that will affect the GV much at all if anything between any of the Vista versions.

What I use for my customers is Windows XP Pro 90 percent of the time with all updates and stripped of extra useless stuff and have not had any probelems. I use the New OS's myself just for testing purpouses so i know what to expect when a customer MUST HAVE Vista or some other phenomenon like that which does happen but I have not had a problem.

Of course on my vista systems they have 4 Gig DDR2 at least ( ram is so cheap anyway) and they are both running AMD Dual Core processors I believe one is only a 3800 and no problems to speak of.

Matt