dogchainx

DIY for family-owned pharmacy

I work at a family-owned pharmacy. Robbery, break ins, etc weren't a huge concern until lately with a lot of Oxycontin robberies happening at other local pharmacies. We have a very good security system, but now we want to include a video surveillance system

We got a quote from local dealers going around $3500 for installation of a 4 -camera video DVR system. As a DIY guru, I looked at what they wanted to install, would cost us around $1200 if I did it myself.

Here's what I'm looking at implementing. Any criticisms/comments are very welcome.

Hardware:

DVR:

Intellicam System's G4-4XLA

Cameras:

1x-Intellicam's AD-AV1000VIR

2x-SVD-42IR25 (from 2mcctv)

1x-mini-camera IR (not yet finalized...)

Power:

12v AC/DC adapters for each camera.

Cables:

Video/DC extensions for each camera. (intellicam's cables)

Excuse the ASCII....

O = SVD-42IR25 (from 2mcctv) cameras

{O}=Intellicam's AD-AV1000VIR

|         \               |
|                         |
|            /        \   |
|          /           \  |
|    ___/_______________\_ [ ]  <-- drive up window
|    /   RX Counter      \ [ ]
|__{O}___________________O| 

As you can see (hopefully) there are three main cameras. All are IR, all are dome cameras. The {O} intellicam AD-AV1000VIR on the bottom left corner is the main deterrent for anyone looking how to rob or break into the pharmacy since it is very...well...aggressive looking. The other two (bottom right, top left) are visible, but not intrusive-looking to daily customers. We don't want the feeling that our customers are being watched intently, but that we do have security cameras. At night, there is very little light, so having IR cameras setup is needed.

The 4th camera is going to be a very small miniature camera mounted inside, but looking out the drive up window. This will be for records of people during the day time, and at night time for records of people trying to break in. This miniature camera I'm still looking into. 2mcctv has very small ones, and B/W should be fine. It has to fit between a window, and a window blind.

So far, thats what I have in mind.

My questions:

-Having multiple IR cameras together, concentrating on one spot, will having that much IR be a problem with too much illumination?

-any recommendations on a very small camera to fit near the drive-up window?

-any other suggestions?

As a do it yourselfer you might want to check with state laws in your state.

Most states are now requiring licenesse to install cctv security and fire systems in a busness sorry but you might not be able to install the equipment in your busness also are you willing to take the risk that if the equipment was installed illeagley and not useable in court or you violate someones rights not knowing the laws dealing with recording audio and video are you insured to be covered if sued. Theys are the things the dealers must meet the requirments for to get their licenese plus we are trained in the installation and give you a a service when things go wrong.

As far as I know these is no licensing restrictions on a small 4-camera system. All wiring is 12v, its being installed in a public place, and similarly capable 4-camera systems are sold at my local Walmart. I have inquired with my state Department of Licensing, but I haven't heard anything back just yet.

I don't think you will have a problem with too much IR light. In fact, I think the more likely problem is too little IR light.

While I could not find the data sheet for your camera models, usually inexpensive IR cameras emit very little IR light and may illuminate only a few feet in front of the cameras. Indeed, the distance an IR camera can illuminate is one of the key factors in increasing their price.

Specifically, I would be concerned with the {O} intellicam AD-AV1000VIR in the lower left hand corner. For two reasons, (1) how far out the camera will illuminate and (2) how far out the camera will capture a clear image.

1. As described above, I think there's a real risk, that the area you want to see from this camera will be dark (at night) especially since it's the farthest away from your door.

2. While it does not indicate the lens on this camera, I assume is relatively short (3mm, 8mm?). If it is a short lens, anything more than 10 or 15 feet from the camera will basically be unviewable.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Best,

John

Would you have a recommendation on a dome IR camera? Each camera's maximum distance to view is probably around 20-25 feet. I would like to have other options than my current camera selections. $150/each camera is what i'm looking to spend.

-Shaun

I don't think you will have a problem with too much IR light. In fact, I think the more likely problem is too little IR light.

While I could not find the data sheet for your camera models, usually inexpensive IR cameras emit very little IR light and may illuminate only a few feet in front of the cameras. Indeed, the distance an IR camera can illuminate is one of the key factors in increasing their price.

Specifically, I would be concerned with the {O} intellicam AD-AV1000VIR in the lower left hand corner. For two reasons, (1) how far out the camera will illuminate and (2) how far out the camera will capture a clear image.

1. As described above, I think there's a real risk, that the area you want to see from this camera will be dark (at night) especially since it's the farthest away from your door.

2. While it does not indicate the lens on this camera, I assume is relatively short (3mm, 8mm?). If it is a short lens, anything more than 10 or 15 feet from the camera will basically be unviewable.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Best,

John

Hi Shaun,

I do not have significant personal experience with IR cameras under $150.

Most of the applications I have done for IR has been with the military and they spend $1000+ for Extreme CCTV cameras, etc.

I am sure someone in this forum knows the right camera for this. If anyone reading this could help, that would be great.

Shaun, btw, you may want to consider doing a test of one of the cameras you are currently considering. This will give you definitive feedback about how well it will work.

Best,

John

Thanks for your input. I'll do some research, test out a few cameras, and probably post on my results in a few weeks

Thanks!