magicsid

How do you feed power to your cameras?

Hi all

I have searched this forum and cant find an answer to my problem.

Might be VERY simple question to most of you.

Using Shotgun cable how in detail would you connect both ends? power source + camera. The camera being 12v.. without using a panel.

If many of you have differnt ways please could you describe them.

Appreciate your help.

Hi all

I have searched this forum and cant find an answer to my problem.

Might be VERY simple question to most of you.

Using Shotgun cable how in detail would you connect both ends? power source + camera. The camera being 12v.. without using a panel.

If many of you have different ways please could you describe them.

Appreciate your help.

Please excuse my dumbness but this is the first time I have heard of "Shotgun Cable".

So I did some googling and found this.http://www.jfs-security.co.uk/acatalog/components_connectors_cable.html

Must be a Brit thing. If that is what you have then change your search to "Siamese Cable".

If NOT then you sure have me stumped.

To connect both ends, simply splice the positive and negative to the red and black 18/2 to the appropriate power source and connector at camera, install BNC connectors and your read for lights - camera - action!!!

Good luck,

I have never heard of the term shotgun cable, but I will make a mental note of it.

Are you running new wire, or is this existing wiring?

For the DIY you can take one of these and cut off the end. Attach an inline fuse to the transformer wiring, and then attach it to you cable. Take the "pigtail" that you cut off, and connect it at your camera end of your cable.

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-12400R_power_supply.html

This is for one to four cameras. If you are doing more cameras then you will want to get a power box.

Just imagine 8 of those wall warts! You will need two power strips for all of those wall warts, and your DVR, and your monitor.

Note on power strips, and wall wart transformers:

Get the power strips with the sockets that sit side saddle so that the wall wart can sit "sideways" on the strip. The more expensive power strips will give you spaced out sockets to fit transformers better!

If you are an installer then these are nice to have in your work van!

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-PLUG21_power_plug.html

If you are mixing 24 volt AC cameras, and 12 volt DC cameras then this is a nice product to have in your work van!

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-A2D_power_supply.html

PLEASE use one of these in a 4 channel version:

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-PS4DC_power_supply.html

Cable connectors:

Click Here!

Scroll down till you see a picture of connectors. There are two PDFs that will show you how to install the two different types of the three types of connectors. Click on CRIMP ON, or COMPRESSION. The twist on is self explanatory.

This is what a twist on looks like:

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-1110_connector.html

This is what a 2 piece crimp on looks like:

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-2110_connector.html

Safety:

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-BSUR_AV_Surge_Protector.html

So if i was connecting usuing an unswitched spur to power say 2 or 3 12v cameras in the loft/attic what would i need to do this, would you run a 12v transformer straight from the spur then run each camera into the transformer?

Basically im wondering exactly how you would power 2 or 3 cameras on someones home. (i understand using 4 or more cameras i wuld use an unwitched fused spur to go straight into a panel, thats easy enough)

Thanks

Question one:

Are you an Electrician?

Two:

Are you saying that you do not have an electrical socket where you have the DVR?

Three:

Is this why you need to run a spur? Are you adding an electrical socket?

Four:

Are you putting a power supply in the attic where it can catch on fire, then set your insulation on fire, then set the whole attic on fire, then destroy the home?

Five:

Since an attic is an uncontrolled environment, would it not be better to put the power supply in the house where it can have a controlled environment?

You will want to run a wire from each camera back to the transformer. This will make it easier to troubleshoot later down the road as you can disconnect one troublesome camera, or you can disconnect all of them.

If you run a wire to the first camera, then run from there to the next camera, then you will have problems trying to disconnect the power wires so that you can trouble shoot.

We call this a "home run" where all the wires come back.

Question one:

Are you an Electrician?

Trainee, At collage now.. Most experiance is 1st & 2nd fixing new homes

Two:

Are you saying that you do not have an electrical socket where you have the DVR?

Yes of course.

Three:

Is this why you need to run a spur? Are you adding an electrical socket?

I was thinking to simply spur down to a 12v transformer or panel

Four:

Are you putting a power supply in the attic where it can catch on fire, then set your insulation on fire, then set the whole attic on fire, then destroy the home?

I would say most homes in the uk have power source in there attic, certainly all new builds. This isn't usually known as dangerous.

Am i wrong in thinkig to have short power runs from each camera they could all meet and be fed from a high wall mounted spur, then all is needed is RG59 from camera/s directly to DVR, also leaving a tidy look near the DVR as you wouldnt have a all the extra power feeds. (Obviously theres nothing wrong with this and im sure i will also do this depending on the job).

Five:

Since an attic is an uncontrolled environment, would it not be better to put the power supply in the house where it can have a controlled environment?

Yes i suppose that does make sence, But then once the cameras are on and rolling there usually isn't much need to be powering the cameras on and off, and if you did need to get to the camera power source most UK homes have easily accessible attics with loft ladders for the rare occassion you will need to get up there.

Meaning use a unswitched spur with a 1-5amp fuse, connected to the transformer. Basically a power source for the transformer other than just plugging it in!

Meaning use a unswitched spur with a 1-5amp fuse, connected to the transformer. Basically a power source for the transformer other than just plugging it in!

As I said before this must be a Brit thing.

Seems to me we are writing a theses here. I always knew that I should have gone for my teaching degree and made more money...........

Hey, I'm a Brit but let me Translate for you !!!

Transformer = Power Supply (12 or 24v) I must admit I call it a Power Supply and I hate it when people call it a 'transformer' or 'charger'

Spur = power outlet In the UK we don't always plug our power supplies for the CCTV directly into a power outlet. We install a 13amp Fused Spur, this prevents someone turning off the power by accident and also if a fault develops protects the power circuit. Strange but true I never use 'Wall Warts' unless I am installing a single camera a Boxed Power supply is much neater.

As for the Power Supply in the Loft / Attic this is common in residential installations as most of our buildings are brick built including the internal walls and running 4 RG59's from the ground floor to the attic is a problem in its self.

I agree with Scorpian the best way is to home run all cables - which is what we do if the building is under construction

As for 'Shotgun' or Siamese - too expensive and to bulky to use I always use RG59 or CAT5.