dynamixx

Software that runs in the background?

I have recently set up a basic CCTV system consisting of a wireless camera and DVR card linked to my existing, non-standalone PC. I am looking to upgrade the default software that came with the DVR card, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations based on this admittedly limited information?

Ideally, I am after recording software that isn't invasive and runs in the background, or could even run hidden, while using the PC for other tasks, and can record video to a specific drive (a USB stick or external hard drive for example). Bearing in mind the simple nature of my set up, is there worthwhile freeware that could be considered?

Any help appreciated.

Software is specific to the capture card you cannot mix or match.

Also DVR's are just that a DVR. Why risk a virus or trojan on your DVR by using it for other reasons.

I have recently set up a basic CCTV system consisting of a wireless camera and DVR card linked to my existing, non-standalone PC. I am looking to upgrade the default software that came with the DVR card, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations based on this admittedly limited information?

Ideally, I am after recording software that isn't invasive and runs in the background, or could even run hidden, while using the PC for other tasks, and can record video to a specific drive (a USB stick or external hard drive for example). Bearing in mind the simple nature of my set up, is there worthwhile freeware that could be considered?

Any help appreciated.

dynamixx,

1) There are some "freeware" and low cost packages out there - Some on this page being Trials, some being Freeware: http://search.wareseeker.com/remote-camera/

Whether they will do everything you want I do not know as I myself am new to all this "stuff".

2) On using your PC for other tasks- the more powerful your PC the better in that respect- may or may not be doable. As a example I'm running on one PC beside me CyeWeb- I think the 64 channel version, with two cams hooked up on a old D 325 Celeron 2.53ghz- 1 gig ram and it's showing on average 30 percent cpu usage. This is with the cams pointed out the window towards a tree with allot of leaves on a windy day. This PC having like a 333 /400?mz bus- and due to me finding the PC at a thrift store for $1.79 minus the HD a old crappy 20 gb hard in it... using a no-name 30fps (4) port Bt878 capture card.-cams set at 640x480.

On saving to external HD- All the programs I've tried so-far can be configured as such.

If you only have (1) cam you need to Google for SurveillizCam (by Novosun)-Last verison I think being v 1.6.1 ... when searching I noticed there were (2) versions (may be the same) On some download sites I think it being listed as totally free- on others it saying it was $19.95- or something like that... The totally free version is for (1) channel- and has no time limit. (AFAIK)

Novosun may have it still listed on their site, but I doubt it as they seem to be promoting it under a new "name"... the "new" version of SurveillizCam has been "renamed' to CyeWeb- and I think even the (1) channel downloads are a 21-day trial- then it craps out.

If you like CyeWeb given the choice and you decide to buy- I'd look at this website- It appearing to have a re-labeled version of CyeWeb (Or CyeWeb being a re-labeled version of BiKal EyeSoft.)

BiKal EyeSoft

http://www.bikal.co.uk/

WHY check out, buy from BiKal EyeSoft? I noticed on the BiKal EyeSoft they had allot more info on the product, have videos you can download on setting up the product and USER MANUALS you can download... CyeWeb last time I check had (1) partial page of a user manual type, it being online to boot. (No downloadable manual)

Note that if your capture card uses a Brooktree Bt848, Bt849, Bt878 and Bt879 based video capture board you need to go here for info:

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/

If you have problems installing the driver go here:

http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/custom.html

And here! (You would be well advised to ARCHIVE a copy of this page!!!)

http://www.daveandalicia.com/bt878/inst.htm

Basically you run BtSpy (btspy2.0.0.zip) which probes your system... it creates a custom card profile (or template) which is used by the installer.... btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip

Excerpt from http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/custom.html

Steps:

1. Install your video capture card in a computer running Win95/Win98/Win98SE/WinME/Win2000 or WinXP.

2. Install the video capture drivers and applications that were BUNDLED with your card - At this point, card must be working with the manufacturer drivers.

3. Now execute the BtSpy utility (you can find it in the download section) and follow each and every of the steps the program proposes. Note that BtSpy must NOT be closed until it finishes, so, there will we times when BtSpy is running at the same time of the video capture card applications bundled with the card, so BtSpy is able to Spy those applications)

4. When BtSpy utility finishes, it has collected all the required information to create a custom card profile (or template): The card profile is displayed, and you can modify it if you need to (most users don't need to modify it).

5. Now save the profile in a safe place because you will need that profile when you install the new driver.

6. Now you can install (if you need to) your video capture card in the computer where you plan to install the new driver

7. Run the btwdmdrvinstaller5.3.8.zip driver installer: When asked for the card model, select "Custom card" (the last one), select the TV tuner model your card is using (If you don't know the TV tuner model, you will have to try several until you find one of them that lets you switch TV channels). Also, if your card is able to tune Radio, you should check the "TV tuner can natively tune Radio" box.

8. Now press "Next": The Custom card definition screen will appear.

9. The easiest way to fill the requested values is by just pressing the "Import" button, and select now the profile generated with the BtSpy utility. All the required values will be imported. Else, you will have to manually fill them using the created report and the tooltips each field displays.

10. Press the "Next" button and continue installation.

11. If the profile generated with BtSpy is right (95% of cases), then the driver should be able to handle your board without trouble.

12. Don't forget to keep a copy of the profile, as every time you install the driver, it will be needed.

13. And , if you manage to make the card work , don't forget to send the profile to me, so i can add native support for your card in the next driver release!

On the comments about DVR's being DVR's and risking them with viruses and the like... While I agree in part that having a dedicated PC... I would think with todays PC's they could do (1) channel (LOL) in the spare CPU cycles... Not everyone has a PC they can spare- and not everyone has "mission critical" needs that justifies building up a PC just for that purpose and throwing a $1,000 to $3,500+ capture card (or cards) in it - Or buying a $500 to $50,000? software package..

Some people might want a set-up just to use as a nanny cam...

PS: dynamixx, Like I said I do not know if the above program will fulfill your needs.

When you do find a program or programs POST BACK your findings !!!

You might want to also check-out LuxRiot.

One downside of the LuxRiot shareware version not being able to run it as a "service" so you have to start it manually. On the hide option..It may or may not have a hide option...

(Most programs I've read about having that option though to "hide" themselves.)