si_kungs

how can you distinguish mjpeg from mpeg4?

I am not sure if there is a definitive way to tell by looking at the video.

One indicator would be the level of 'crispness' of the video. MJPEG is almost always more crisp and 'photo-like' than MPEG-4, because of the more aggressive compression in MPEG-4.

Also, if you could examine the source files of the video on the system, the extension might provide an indicator.

Finally, if you have a box open it up and check the model and manufacturer of the encoder card.

Best,

John

thank you sir. so i need to record the image and check the source file. from there i can see if it is mpeg4 or mjpeg?

If you are looking at the source files. The MJPEG files can be individually opened with a straight media player or paint program as a still frame. Since the mpeg4 file is a conditional refresh type of file the MPEG4 file will be in a .RAW format and must be opened in a streaming player it might not be in a mpeg4 file type.

might i add - usually MJPEG will require more bandwidth to transmit the same amount of video (same FPS, same resolution) as compared to MPEG4.

the ration can range from 1:2 to 1:4 (MPEG4: MJPEG).

Another (not so strong) indicator could be the processing power used when viewing the video streams. MPEG4 will require slightly more PC processing power as compared to MJPEG.