sf1964

best 8+ channel dvr w/remote and dynamic ip??

l am looking for best value linux based dvr w/rmote view connected to a cable modem, no router and l want to be able to cd-w or dvd-w. l would need at least 250-320 gig hd.l need good record playback quality and decent speed.

thanks for any recommendations as their are a lot out there.ie new panasonic 300 model,kalatel storesafe pro etc. Based on my specs what would l need? or any other suggestions or systems!!!!

Unless you do some funky RAID your drive size is either 250 or 400 GB. There isn't anything inbetween. Given the cost of a 400 GB drive and you probley won't be seeing it on a dvr anytime soon. (Except maybe some of the PC based ones...)

most of the hard drives l have seen are around 120-240gig with the kalatel hving one around 320 with room for expansion!!thats why l am looking around that storage capacity!!

I dont know about the Panasonic, but the Kalatel DVRs are not linux, they are Nucleous, a much more stable RTOS, some less features though.

Cheap linux DVRs range in the $1000 for both 8 and 16 channel, its better just to get their 16 channel one time. Mid range linux DVRs run in the $2000 range for a 16 channel.

Whats your budget on this? Remember the best will always cost the most.

Rory

around $1800-$2200 range.That vitek one comes in at that range and l saw someone post info on a kordicom or something like that,the guy at the cctv store told me about the 10 channel storesafe pro!! but do you know of any us distributors of the kordicom to check out ,it might be a little cheaper for my needs.as it is now l am using the 4ch one from intellicamusa w/remote, recorded picture isnt that great(could be cameras though)

do you mean Kodicom? there is Say Security I believe, a member on this forum called helloder, that represents Kodicom in the US.

http://www.saysecurity.com/

Yeah the StoresSafe comes in at around $2200 for a 10 channel, kind of expensive, though its got great remote software, and never crashes. 30pps StoreSafe 16 channel is around $2700. Best thing is the Multi Site software, so if you have a bunch of installed DVRs, you can connect to all of them with up to 16 remote sites and 64 cameras in 1 multi view. That is the same for any Kalatel DVMR. I only sell the 30pps StoreSafe now in the 4 channels, as it is around $1200, and I dont even sell the 10 channel, just the 16 channel StoreSafe Pro 60pps, and the DVMRe-CT (not PRO) 60pps for those slimline installs such as rack mounted, etc.

For low end, we now sell the HiSharp branded under a different name, same price, and for a no lan one we use the AvTech also branded under another name.

Rory

March Networks 3108 DVR - 8 cameras, 60 fps...not a bad system for 8 cameras under 2K but there are some more price units out there with 120 fps, etc...

sf1964,

I recently bought a Kodicom 516 that's within your budget. It's 16 channels and has some really nice features. You can drop in up to four off-the-shelf disks, there's lot's of recording options and playback is very clear. I'm still trying to get a grasp on all of the features, but so far I can honestly say I'm impressed.

The downsides so far:

* Had an initial hardware problem (which is being addressed by my dealer).

* There doesn't appear to be a way to "deactivate" cameras. I don't have or plan to have 16 cameras, so would prefer the option not to have to scroll through a bunch of "video loss" screens.

* A few other nits that I'll be posting later in a full review.

However, for the most part, I'm very happy with this unit and the service organization behind it.

I have mentioned this company before and I have to say we have sold many of these units with no problems at all. Features are good for the price.

Nuvico 8-ch. Stand-alone DVR w/ Network

Model : NVDV-8000N

Key Features

* Embedded Linux Operating System

* Built-in Multiplexer

* Triplex Function

* High Resolution

* Hidden/Covert Camera Function

* Built-in Web Server for LAN/WAN/Internet

* Automatic E-mail Notification:

External Alarm, Video Loss, Power Loss

* Remote Access & Management from Client PC