cos140

Which Geovision Card for my application ?

Hi everyone, Ive recently joined the forum and still trying to iron out the fault i have with my system.

I currently have 4 cameras set up, two of high qualityand 2 of lesser quality, and these are connected up to my PC at present but i only have a cheap and nasty DVR card which i purchased really as i test to see what it was like. But it seems to make the picture worse when i put my cameras through it. If i connect direst to say the video input to my tv then the picture is A1.

I am now really looking to buy a new DVR card but i am not aure what the best one would be for my application? It's only a home CCtv system which mainly monitors the gardens and driveway and partially covers the area in front of the house. What i would like to be able to do is to zoom in enough to make out faces rather than a blur and also vehicle registration number plates.

Would the 600 or 650 card suffice or would i need to go for the 800 series ? I currently have 4 cameras but i may end up fitted a couple more at some stage so would need to allow for further extensions to the system.

Also, once i have a good quality DVR card, would the PC cpu need to be improved or would it still be ok ? It only runs the CCTV so no other applications are required on it. Think its a Celeron 1.8 gig and have got a 500 gig ext hard drive attached too.

Sorry but i am new to the CCTV side of things so please bear with me.

Any advice will be a great help, just dont want to waste money purchasing a DVR card which is no good!

Many thanks. Justin

Dear Cos140,

GV 600 / 30 fps in total.

GV 650 / 60 fps in total.

GV 800 / 120 fps in total.

It really depends on what you need....

If future camera expansion is considered, you might purchase 8 CH, instead of 4 CH. If you purchase 4CH only, later on you can't put another 4 CH capture card into the same PC...

For the PC Spec, you might want to take a look at our suggest PC Spec

73 Systems tested by Geo with their various PC DVR Cards. Shows PC Hardware Details as well as DVR Card specs.

http://www.ezcctv.com/attributes/cmplx_knwldgbs/filename/GeoVision-Suggested-PC-Specification.pdf

If LPR is consdered.. you might go for GV 1240_8 port

If LPR isn't considered... you might go for GV800_8 port

** TV OUT function is only for Combo Cards such as GV 1120, GV1240 or GV1480.....If you want GV800 with TV out function, you might consider purchase another card called GV DSP Card.

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support, GeoVision Inc , Taiwan

+886-2-8797-8377 with extension 287

Dear Cos140,

GV 600 / 30 fps in total.

GV 650 / 60 fps in total.

GV 800 / 120 fps in total.

It really depends on what you need....

If future camera expansion is considered, you might purchase 8 CH, instead of 4 CH. If you purchase 4CH only, later on you can't put another 4 CH capture card into the same PC...

For the PC Spec, you might want to take a look at our suggest PC Spec

73 Systems tested by Geo with their various PC DVR Cards. Shows PC Hardware Details as well as DVR Card specs.

If LPR is consdered.. you might go for GV 1240_8 port

If LPR isn't considered... you might go for GV800_8 port

** TV OUT function is only for Combo Cards such as GV 1120, GV1240 or GV1480.....If you want GV800 with TV out function, you might consider purchase another card called GV DSP Card.

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

andy_geovision,

Question:

On the total frame rate using the GV 800-16 / 120 fps in total as a example.

1) If say I have 16 cams connected, have the unit set to record only when motion is detected... and only (4) of the (16) channels are showing motion does this mean 4/120=30fps? , or is the frame rate going to be 7.5 fps spread EVENLY over the 16 channels?

2) Related to the total frame rate:

When rating a card-

Are vendors required to rate a card at it's MAX resolution..

Are you rating 120fps at

160x120 ???

320x240

or

640x480 ?

I'm assuming it's like CRT manufacturers for years saying it was a 21 inch CRT, when the viewable area was 19... the CRT being 21 inches overall, a inch or two being hid behind the trim /bezel (LOL) but the area you could actually SEE or USABLE being 19..

I'm thinking mfg's rate their cards at the LOWEST RESOLUTION. (if not that's a good thing- and how it should be. EG 21 inch=should mean 21 inch viewable.)

2) On TV output- I understand you wanting to sell additional hardware such as the GV DSP Card (or combo cards with built in TV output) but could you go into detail on why can't the TV output of the PC card of the computer itself output the image? Most high-end cards these days have TV /HDMI/DVi output.

(PS: I understand having a dedicated card being best, I also understand having a combo card reducing your tech support load on trying to get card combo's to work together)

3) Do you have a listing of "regular" pc cards with TV output that work with non-combo type cards on your hardware list?

When I buy my next card, it will be one with the TV output. The TV image is clearer than the flat panel I have at work. A CRT will be clearer than an old flat panel, but a TV is still better IMO.

The image from each camera is wider on my Geovision than on the monitor off the matrix. Let me clarify this: My main entrance camera looks at 6 doors. On the left side of these doors is a kiosk, and on the right side is a hallway to my security office. On the TV monitor view of this camera, via the matrix, all I see is the 6 doors, and a sliver of the hallway. On the Geovision I see everything from both kiosks, the doors, my hallway, and the wall going along the sales floor.

With full screen option, you can view any image, or the selected view (4, 9, 16) as far tall and wide as the screen exists. Obviously the resolution is still a key factor in clarity, but it's nice to have full screen.

I'm running a GV-800-4 from 2005 on a P4 1.8Ghz with I think 512mb RAM. It goes months with a restart just fine. Keep in mind this is a dedicated DVR. No internet, maybe two word documents, and of course it also is the backup for all our digital camera images.

Hi Andy_geovision,

Your information has been a great help. At least now i know what card should do the job. Think i am heading for the GV 800-8, then this will give me inputs for up to 8 cameras and still give me quality i require if all cameras were activated at once. I do not need anything like 'real time'. It is not important for me. As long as i can get a finer detail during 'playback' then i will be happy. Main concern is that i will be able to pick up peoples faces clearly. I currently have the daytime set to motion detect and the evening, 10pm to 5am to be recording all the time.

I would like to be able to read license plates but i would not want to go to the expense of having a system that is meant for that purpose. From what i have read and what other forum members have said, the quality of the Geovision cards is of much higher quality than the 'ebay specials' which cost about 10 UK £ !!

On another note, whats the best way to reduce 'flare or blinding' at night from car headlights? Both my cameras are B&W during the night and i have only 2 small IR lamps but these are really not up to the job.

Regarding the TV out, i already have a TV out (svhs) on the PC's video card so would this be the same quality ? WeAreNotAlone also has the same thinking as me. Why go for a DVR card with TV out when you already have a TV out on the P video card?

I must say, i am glad i joined this forum, it has certainly helped me have a better understanding of the CCTV systems

Zooming in to get good faces or licence plates from more then 10 feet away isn't going to happen with standard cameras unless you have a narow lens zoomed in on the area you want to watch and I'm willing to bet you are using wider angles on the camera lenses. Faces and plates are two of the toughest and most important things to capture. Megapixel helps.

Zooming in to get good faces or licence plates from more then 10 feet away isn't going to happen with standard cameras unless you have a narow lens zoomed in on the area you want to watch and I'm willing to bet you are using wider angles on the camera lenses. Faces and plates are two of the toughest and most important things to capture. Megapixel helps.

I dont have any issue with samsung 735 and 740 series cams, even the sid450 domes,

I have many faces on cam in shops etc, Light / sun is the biggest issue with number plates also glare etc,

You can do most things with an analouge cam you just have to use a bit of nouse. All situations are different I have found...

Dear 140,

1) If say I have 16 cams connected, have the unit set to record only when motion is detected... and only (4) of the (16) channels are showing motion does this mean 4/120=30fps? , or is the frame rate going to be 7.5 fps spread EVENLY over the 16 channels?

>> the frame rate is 7.5 spread evenly..

>> Based on 320*240

2) On TV output- I understand you wanting to sell additional hardware such as the GV DSP Card (or combo cards with built in TV output) but could you go into detail on why can't the TV output of the PC card of the computer itself output the image? Most high-end cards these days have TV /HDMI/DVi output.

>> Due to each customer has different needs and ideas, GeoVision here only provides some technical suggestions and feeback to the customers..If you have VGA card supported TV out function, then yes, you can simply use VGA card instead of GV DSP cards...

In general, all the TV-out VGA card should be fit....

Any questions, let me know..

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Dear WeAreNotAlone,

>> the frame rate is 7.5 spread evenly..

>> Based on 320*240

>> Due to each customer has different needs and ideas, GeoVision here only provides some technical suggestions and feeback to the customers..If you have VGA card supported TV out function, then yes, you can simply use VGA card instead of GV DSP cards...

In general, all the TV-out VGA card should be fit....

Any questions, let me know..

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

andy_geovision,

Thanks for the info on the PC TV output. As you know being able to use a PC TV output card is a question allot of people would be interested in.

Just to clarify on those FRAME RATES

GV-800-16 is rated at 120fps (total) @320*240

If 16 cams are connected and only (4) are showing motion (being recorded) instead of the frame rate being 30fps for those 4 channels- they and the idle channels frame rate is going to be 7.5fps.

The 120fps being shared evenly- even though NO recording is being done, so the REAL FPS rate would be as follows:

GV-800-16 , rated @ 120fps - 2008 Retail price $1,100?

4 channels =30fps

8 channels =15fps

16 channels=7.5fps

So what you're saying is if you connect more cams- Rate goes down even though there is NOTHING being recorded /software isn't smart enough assign a priority to those channels ONLY sensing motion (or tripped by a alarm)?

I can understand some overhead on those idle channels taking away a little- but a cam just sitting there looking at a empty room with it being set to record only when there is a event steals away FPS from channels sensing motion / in a alarm condition?

BTW: I'm not talking about "real-time" viewing of cams- I'm talking about playback after a event occurs.

Surely Andy is forgetting to mention Smart Motion Detection settings?

Andy? Whether it is real time or not I cannot confirm at this time, but the following video was recorded each camera in 640x480 and as far as my eye can tell, its certainly faster than 7.5fps

http://bahamassecurity.com/video/day_quad.Avi

Surely Andy is forgetting to mention Smart Motion Detection settings?

Andy? Whether it is real time or not I cannot confirm at this time, but the following video was recorded each camera in 640x480 and as far as my eye can tell, its certainly faster than 7.5fps

http://bahamassecurity.com/video/day_quad.Avi

Rory,

1) I just tried two video programs that will work with about anything- and they (of course) would not play the video... Is there a way to export files made in a format playable on a PC that does not have Geovision software on it? If so if you could please re-up as I'd like to see the vid.

If not- Is there a download link for Geo GEOX Codec's on Geovisions site that can be freely downloaded by someone who does not have a Geo product- but is considering Geo?

2) What chipsets are on the GV-800-16?

Stream 0

AVI Splitter

Media Type 0:

--------------------------

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:

majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

subtype: Unknown GUID Name {584F4547-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo {05589F80-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}

bFixedSizeSamples: 0

bTemporalCompression: 1

lSampleSize: 1

cbFormat: 92

VIDEOINFOHEADER:

rcSource: (0,0)-(0,0)

rcTarget: (0,0)-(0,0)

dwBitRate: 0

dwBitErrorRate: 0

AvgTimePerFrame: 333333

BITMAPINFOHEADER:

biSize: 40

biWidth: 640

biHeight: 480

biPlanes: 1

biBitCount: 24

biCompression: GEOX

biSizeImage: 921600

biXPelsPerMeter: 0

biYPelsPerMeter: 0

biYPelsPerMeter: 0

biClrUsed: 0

biClrImportant: 0

Yep, the following are made by me so use at your own risk

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/InstallCodecs.zip

And a basic custom player:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/GeoPlayer.exe

geo also has a codecs installer, I dont have it handy right now though.

Thanks Rory, used GeoPlayer.exe as a general rule I don't like installing anything and everything.

On the Playback, there were (3) channels, the fourth a blue screen- a couple of times during the playback screens appearing /disappearing. I would assume this is due to the player?

On the playback itself, looked pretty fluid to me... more so than 7.5fps would be.

On the number of channels being recorded, or should I say the number of CAMS being hooked up. Were 16 cams hooked up, or only (3)?

In other words were the three recording only recording because motion was being detected... the other 13 channels (cams) idle?

The GeoPlayer just installs the codecs anyway, just a few DLLs

You can now open the video in regular Windows Media Player (should be able to anyway).

The Blue video is blank video, when there is no motion, as it was set to Motion record.

The GeoPlayer just installs the codecs anyway, just a few DLLs

You can now open the video in regular Windows Media Player (should be able to anyway).

The Blue video is blank video, when there is no motion, as it was set to Motion record.

16 cams hooked up?, only 3 showing motion?