CCTV_Suppliers

Sony version Deciphering Minimum Illumination Specifications

Most branded manufacturers do quote those figures but even those figures are incomplete.

First off they measure the light falling onto the test chart but they do not state the reflectance of the chart so you can fiddle your figures if you wanted. Imagine viewing a mound of coal or snow, one will reflect more light, you can do the same with charts.

Second you should state the light source used and it's colour temp. Lux is visible light. There is nothing stopping me putting a little IR in my test scene. The lux meter won't see it but my day/night camera will.

There are standards which detail how cameras should be tested. For example British Standard, BS EN 50132-2-1, I think, but as not everyone uses the same standard I always suggest you take any specification with a pinch of salt and test a camera yourself.

I cant' believe how some big brand name companies quote their figures. I was looking at a pelco camera, quotes a really impressive low light figure and in brackets (at 1.5s). Yeah right, who uses a security camera with a shutter speed of 1.5 seconds. And Samsung Korea quote their low light figures at 32x sens up, which I think is similar to 1.5 seconds.