dgold

Network DVR & Mac

I have a Mac running Leopard and was wondering if anyone new of a 4 ch network DVR recorder that enabled you to view video without having to use an emulator. I am looking for a high quality unit with 100fps framerate.

David

I have a Mac running Leopard and was wondering if anyone new of a 4 ch network DVR recorder that enabled you to view video without having to use an emulator. I am looking for a high quality unit with 100fps framerate.

David

Mac's are not really great for cctv network viewing/drv cards etc..

Lots of problem!

Can you not buy a real computer?

With this kind of attitude no wonder we are stuck with the horror known as ActiveX.

David

Mac's are not really great for cctv network viewing/drv cards etc..

Lots of problem!

Macs aren't great for cctv network viewing because they aren't addicted to Active-X and they aren't clinging to yesterday's analog systems like "real" computers are. Instead, why don't you invest in modern digital IP cams instead, run first-class software like SecuritySpy on a stable Unix-based platform like Mac OS X, and forget about wasting your time and money on real computers.

Sure, you won't have an endless supply of cheaply-made, no-name, lookalike, rebranded cameras and DVR's to choose from. And, you might miss the fun of having the single point of failure that DVR's provide. No way you'll get to have the thrill of BSOD! But hey, not everybody loves rebooting every day anyway!

You're running Leopard, huh? You must not have what it takes to handle CCTV. You probably want things that just work effortlessly and intuitively. If you don't understand the registry, dll files, and virus scans, then you just aren't cut out for real computers. Real computers are just way too complicated for sissies like you. Why do you think Wizards are needed just to help you plug in a flash drive, anyway?

Look at the Speco DVR DVR4TN8TN16TN160. They just recently released a Java App that will allow you to remotely and locally view their DVR on Mac.

This is the only DVR I know of with this capability.

I am sure you know this, but I have also tried to use Crossover application on Mac to run native IE 7 in Mac OSX and it does not work. The only other way is to use Parallels and run Windows XP.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed by manufacturers ASAP. There is a growing number of Mac users and they are a legitimate size of the computer population now and need to be addressed as such. Hopefully we will see this change very soon.

Video Insight DVRs do not require ActiveX for their web viewer - I've successfully used it on a number of browsers including Safari (Windows version), Opera and Firefox, as well as assorted different mobile browsers, including Blazer on PalmOS and Opera Mini on WM6.

You can test it with your browser at http://www.demovi.com

Exacq has a desktop hybrid server that will give you 4 analog channels, plus 8 IP channels, and they have a plugin-free web interface. I've used it with IE, mobile IE, Firefox, Opera, mobile Opera, and others. They also have an OSX full featured client. You can order the system with either XP or Linux as the OS, too.

Argus/DeMark Security have a great line of standalone DVR's that support Mac. It's really feature rich. Full D1 recording at 30FPS, remote access via Windows/Mac, remote access via iPhone/BlackBerry/Android, etc. Really a nice little machine. They have developed a Mac client that ships on the disc with the machine and all you have to do is drag it onto your desktop, input your DVR information, and view your camera's/access recorded video from anywhere in the world. Really easy setup.

I use SecuritySpy on my mac mini. I run two Axis 2400+ video servers. They are connected to my network via ethernet cables. I'm really liking the software. Haven't made use of its full potential just yet. I can view my cameras over my iphone. There is an app specifically for Security Spy. It was not made by the author of the software and hasn't received great reviews so I've been hesitant to purchase it.

The framerates are not what you are looking for but it still does a great job. The software saves my clips using the H.264 codec into Quicktime movies.