epols

Remote Viewing - Clover DVR behind router using DSL modem

Basics:

Its a clover usa DVR system that is supposed to allow remote viewing over port 5800. I'm able to get it working just fine within my network (LAN) but not from outside the network (WAN). I've assigned a static IP to the DVR (outside of the default DHCP range) and port forwarded all neccesary ports (300 & 500). That wasn't working, so I instead set that IP address to use DMZ. I've verified my settings with DYNDNS, and i've checked and rechecked all of my network settings, but I still cannot connect remotely.

Does anyone have any clues? The manual for the system didn't provide much troubleshooting information. I'm desperate at this point...

I've also changed the port to 200 to see if my DSL modem was perhaps blocking 5800.. Port 200 works for LAN, but i'm not able to access it from outside the network.

Also.. I've been testing this by using my external IP : port number. That external IP is what my DSL modem is getting.. that's what I should be using, correct?

You should try your remote access from somewhere other then the same DSL circuit. I say this only because others have had similar issues as you are having only to find it works fine from the outside but they can't use the public IP from within their own LAN.

I can access my public IP from within the same LAN but others say they can't. Something worth trying before you drive yourself nuts changing a bunch of settings that will never make it work.

And yes, sounds like you are doing it right.

Agreed, you must actually be using another internet connection for testing. I would leave it on DMZ only until you get it working, then step back. One other test is to enable remote admin in your router and use that to test the DDNS function. Also, you are using the DDNS in your router, not the DVR, correct?

I'm actually not using dyndns right now. I figured i'd just use the ip address and port. Once i can get the remote features to work, ill setup the ddns. Should I be using it? as far as I know, all that really does is assign a hostname to my ip, and is mostly for convenience factor (helpful with changing IPs).

So in summary, I've tried this now from outside the network. I flashed my router with the latest firmware, set it back to factory defaults and started over. I setup my port forwarding. I also assigned the DVR a static IP address outside of my dhcp range (I'm assuming there should be no issues there). So im forwarding only port 5800 to that static IP (should I be forwarding any others?).

I know nothing about the clover DVR but no doubt the instructions will tell you which ports need to be directed from the WAN to the DVR LAN IP, and if those are TCP and/or UDP.

The purpose of assigning the DVR's LAN IP to "DMZ" instead is to temporarily (or permanently) avoid the need to figure all that out. If it doesn't work on DMZ it not going to work with port forwarding.

Your client, whether it is proprietary or IE should work exactly the same remotely as it did locally, with only the target IP changed.

The documentation referred to using port 5800, which I have setup in port forwarding. My setup is as follows:

DVR connected to linksys 54g router. router connected to DSL box with XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX IP. I've assigned the DVR a static IP outside of the range of my DHCP so the internal IP doesn't change and cause problems for port forwarding. I've forwarded port 5800 to the static IP for both UDP & TCP (although the documentation says just to forward TCP, I've tried it both ways). Registered with dyndns, and setup a domain to forward to my Sprint assigned IP. While testing, I've avoided using the hostname forwarding, and just been trying h++p : / / IP . ADDRESS : 5800 . When on my LAN, this will launch an active x control and install an app to allow remote viewing.

Currently, I cannot connect from outside the network. I can ping my IP successfully, and I've even tried using telnet to access the client (which I can do internally), but to no avail.

The computer I'm using to attempt a connection is located behind a router, with windows firewall turned off. I've tried opening my ports on this side as well, but no luck so far.

I can provide any additional info about my config if anyone needs it to diagnose.

thanks!

What's the DSL modem model? Is it acting as a NAT router? In other words does the Linksys see the actual internet IP on the WAN port or is it seeing a local DHCP-supplied address from the modem?

Where are you finding the internet IP that you are using for remote testing?

Again, setting the router admin login to allow remote access from any internet IP is a good way to test this stuff without initially involving the DVR. And, again, if you assign the DVR to DMZ you can take out the variable of port forwarding.

I think either your modem is also a router (and blocking ports,) or you are using the wrong internet IP when trying to access it remotely. There isn't anything left!

I found my IP address by both using google ("my ip address" or something similar came up with it). And I also used the IP address found with the auto find feature on dyndns . org . I have the Login & PW for the DSL modem, you're saying I need to check to see if NAT translation is available, and look for possible alternative IP addresses? I wouldn't be surprised if DSL was the cause of this whole mess.. I'm now working remotely so I'll have to talk my dad through the process of checking...

Thanks for the input!

I too am encountering the same issues. I am using cable and like yourself can access everything "internally" but can not externally. VERY frustrating. I have everything set as per "tech support" recommendations (yes I called them) which is STATIC IP, port 5800, using my "public IP" for external access, did all the remote forwarding for the rourter (even bought a new wireless router and modem for others reason than just this) with no luck. The product claim was "connect via the internet" and "remote connect anywhere in the world". All of those details were main reasons for buying this product. My bad. I suppose now I should have searched for existing issues from other users/forums.

By the way....my partial solution around this issue (for now) is to connect to my home computer via remote connect from my laptop and accessing my dvr/cameras that way. But that only offers a small consolation as I can't remote connect from work (restricted).

I too am encountering the same issues. I am using cable and like yourself can access everything "internally" but can not externally. VERY frustrating. I have everything set as per "tech support" recommendations (yes I called them) which is STATIC IP, port 5800, using my "public IP" for external access, did all the remote forwarding for the rourter (even bought a new wireless router and modem for others reason than just this) with no luck. The product claim was "connect via the internet" and "remote connect anywhere in the world". All of those details were main reasons for buying this product. My bad. I suppose now I should have searched for existing issues from other users/forums.

I have a Clover Model CDR-4170 - Probably lower quality than your model, but I lifted the following out of the User's Manual:

NOTE:

- Router has to be set as a virtual server (or port forwarding) in order to utilize the DDNS service (See section 5.11 for more details).

- Do not use the public port numbers.

- Four Port numbers (in sequence) including the default port number should be forwarded.

- Ex: Default port number: 5700.

Forwarding ports: 5700 / 5701 / 5702 / 5703.

Maybe you need to forward 5800-5803 ??

Also in my LinkSys router it says that while Single Port Forwarding is Enabled, then DMZ takes a back seat in order of priority.

In my LinkSys Router, I ENABLED "PORT RANGE FORWARDING" that I named CLOVER - Starting Port 5700 - Ending Port 5703 - Protocol BOTH - IP Address (Address of the CLOVER in my LAN) - Checked the ENABLE Button.

I am able to view and administer the CLOVER using my outside (WAN) I.P. Address and my inside (LAN) I.P. Address. I haven't tried to access it from another computer yet - I'll try that tomorrow when I have access to another computer at work. But I'm pretty sure that I'm accessing it from outside the LAN.

One other thing that seems quirky - When I type in the I.P. Address in Clover's Remote Viewer, I think it is necessary to fill in all the numbers with leading zeros.

For Example:

Instead of - 22.85.221.44

It is - 022.085.221.044

minko....thanks so much for that bit of information. Reading it all certainly makes some sense. I am going to try all of this (one at a time to determine what works/fixes the issue) when I get home tonight. I appreciate your time and information. BTW my model is the CDR-4570 but I don't know that it would make a difference. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

minko....thanks so much for that bit of information. Reading it all certainly makes some sense. I am going to try all of this (one at a time to determine what works/fixes the issue) when I get home tonight. I appreciate your time and information. BTW my model is the CDR-4570 but I don't know that it would make a difference. I'll keep you posted and thanks again.

You're welcome and I hope for the best. I should also note that within the LinkSys Router, I changed the Port Forwarding option of "BOTH" to "TCP" and it seems to work fine.

I installed the CLOVER Software on my computer at work - totally different internet service - and it worked just fine.

Please do keep us informed about your results.

Well...first let me say that I referenced port 5800 in previous messages. Th set port is 5700, not 5800 as I previoulsy stated. I did get in my router (netgear) and setup the port forwarding for ports 5700 thru 5703. Let's see what happens.

minko....some additional (GOOD NEWS I hope) information. In Netgear setup for port forwarding, where you reference "BOTH" for Linksys, I think you speak of TCP/UDP correct? (mine didn't say "both") Mine was set to TCP/UDP and I changed it (as per your recommendation) to TCP only and as I referenced before, ports were/are now 5700 - 5703. Those were the only new changes I made. Everything else I had already setup.

Now...for the good news (I hope)...I left my desktop and got on to my lap top which is set up for wireless connect. I connected to someone else "unsecured" wireless network (which I hate doing) to ensure I was not accessing my own network (which is secure). I have the clover software install on the laptop and BINGO....I was able to pull up the camera's. As a final check, I have the clover s/w installed on my work laptop too and will attempt a connect there first thing in the morning to ensure this is the final fix. For the first time in a LOOOOOONG time, I am actually looking forward to going into the office tomorrow to try this out.

Either way, your assistance is forever appreciated. I will post tomorrow to let you know final outcome. Best Regards....

minko....some additional (GOOD NEWS I hope) information. In Netgear setup for port forwarding, where you reference "BOTH" for Linksys, I think you speak of TCP/UDP correct? (mine didn't say "both") Mine was set to TCP/UDP and I changed it (as per your recommendation) to TCP only and as I referenced before, ports were/are now 5700 - 5703. Those were the only new changes I made. Everything else I had already setup.

Now...for the good news (I hope)...I left my desktop and got on to my lap top which is set up for wireless connect. I connected to someone else "unsecured" wireless network (which I hate doing) to ensure I was not accessing my own network (which is secure). I have the clover software install on the laptop and BINGO....I was able to pull up the camera's. As a final check, I have the clover s/w installed on my work laptop too and will attempt a connect there first thing in the morning to ensure this is the final fix. For the first time in a LOOOOOONG time, I am actually looking forward to going into the office tomorrow to try this out.

Either way, your assistance is forever appreciated. I will post tomorrow to let you know final outcome. Best Regards....

Sounds promising gto_don! Let us know how your attempt at access the DVR at work goes.

I hope the original poster of this thread, epols, has been following this discussion. Maybe his problem will reflect yours. I think Clover may have the wrong port number (5800 vs 5700) listed in their manual for your model. In my manual, the only reference to forwarding all four ports was listed in a note about 6 pages before the chapter on DDNS. Clover needs to work on their technical documentation.

I too have only accessed my DVR because I know my Dynamic IP Address (that hasn't changed in months). Next project - define the steps necessary to activate the DDNS feature and really be able to access the DVR anytime, anyplace. I haven't had time to look into the steps necessary to make this happen.

minko....well, SUCCESS and not really a failure, but a (let's call it )"hurdle" or "setback".

I got to work this morning and attempted to connect from my work computer. NO LUCK! Depressed and contemplating leaving and getting a cold beer with a whiskey chaser, I reconsidered the thought and just couldn't see starting this kind of activity(drinking) at 5AM. Was it possible something still wasn't right after doing the test with my laptop the night before?

I got home from work, loaded the clover s/w on to my ftp server and called my son who attends school in Irvine California. He downloaded it and after setup and configuration, he was successful in viewing my camera's. EUREKA ! ! The router setup that you recommended did in fact fix the problem. I believe (now) that my office is blocking port 5700 (and possibly others) which is why I can't and couldn't connect from the office.

Now I may have another challenge...one for another time.

I think Clover Tech Support could use someone like yourself. You have my vote.

I too, hope others read these messages and it helps them. I know I learned alot. Many thanks again minko...

Don

Well by virtue of the fact that your son could access your DVR indicates no problem with your setup. I couldn't access my DVR from within my own company's network either - I can't even play a You Tube - No streaming video of any kind. Not much you can do about that I guess.

Luckily I have a non-networked computer at work and I can access my Clover that way.

I'd like to get the DDNS thing setup and maybe we can post a Clover "go-by" instruction set of instructions.

Salute'

Found the solution to my problem... My DSL modem was indeed in "Router" mode, and it needed to be in "Bridged". The modem wasn't forwarding all requests to the router, so then the router could never redirect the request to the proper computer with port forwarding. As soon as I was able to switch the modem over, it worked perfectly as advertised. I had only used cable modems before, and never experienced such problems. I'd much rather my higher quality linksys be doing all of the routing tasks rather than my free POS DSL modem.

Anyways,thanks for the suggestions!

I seem to be having the same problem you guys had. I am trying to view my system remotely. I too have a clover 4570 model. I have no problem accessing the cameras within the local network (so long as i use the local IP address, 192.168.0.150 i believe it is). However, when i try to access the cameras from any other computer outside the network, i get the classic, "DVR not found !" message. So far i think i have tried a million combinations. To make things as simple as possible, i am not using a DDNS account, yet, and i enabled the system in my router configuration as DMZ. Nonetheless, i have port forwarding, AND virtual server settings configured for the system. I cannot figure out how to access my settings for my sprint dsl modem. The default gateway on my router says 192.168.1.33, which, in my previous experiences means this is the address for the dsl modem itself. However, when i try to access it, iexplorer cannot find the page. Given everything I have done so far, i tend to think it is my dsl modem that is "blocking" a port, or as one of you guys said, "acting as a router." It's a sprint 935 series modem. Any clues on how i can access my dsl modem settings?

p.s., not sure if this is totally relevant, but i was able to successfully ping that ip address where the system is set up.

Ok, i see this is a popular thread. No one here solved my problem but i figured it out myself. So for those of us poor souls that are googling this problem. this is for you:

I had to "bridge" my dsl modem. You find your modem address by going to your router configuration page, finding your default gateway, and then type that address in your browser. If you have an older style modem, like i did, you access this instead through telnet using the command prompt. For example at the CP type "telnet [modem ip address]." Also, come to find out, I had over-did my configuration. I had both port forwarding AND DMZ set up, which caused a conflict since my port forwarding settings were incorrect and port forwarding overrides DMZ. I did not find truth to the fact that the IP address needs to be in the form "045.002.003.076" for it to work as another poster had stated. So again, check off this list:

modem = bridged

router set properly for port forwarding OR DMZ, not both

triple check your settings, I was told IP addresses, particularly dsl, can change very frequently, as much as every hour.

Good luck! if this saves one person the trouble that I had to go through, than I have done my job.

On the router, at the Security>Firewall>Block WAN Requests area (for linksys), set the Filter Internet NAT Redirection to "Disabled". Read the Help section to help understand what this does.