Well, I sell them on eBay.

I sell the ALNET boards.

But just to give you a good advice on what to buy,

STAY AWAY from the .99 cent and the 24.99 cards from hong kong or taiwan, ask to see what software you get with them, if it's the PICO2000, then it's no good.

There are a Few that are good

The ALNET'S that I sell

The Geovision are good also.

other than that, I have no experience with anyother.

I would not buy anything off Ebay.. you can neevr be guarenteed you are not purchasing something illegal.

howver before anyone does get on my back... there are good clients out there on ebay, but there aer some shonky's as well. Why risk it when you can buy from a distributor and get local support.

Well, there's one way to try and find out a seller.

Ask him a million and one questions, and uf he answers everyone of them, then you got to say that he's pretty good at it.

One thing that I do is l list my phone number on my auctions, that way clients call me with any questions, plus I include the technical support number on the package after the sale.

So it all depends in how you do your homework

I have practically furnished my house on electronics from eBay.

I use the rule of thumb being .... don't by anything from Hong Kong...

All those starting price of .99 are just with a 65.00 shipping fee. There seems to be so many cards out there now, most useless, that anything other than the proven name brands available and verified by a professional CCTV person is a gamble to say the least.

When popping 300 - 400 for a basic card, it can get expensive real quick. I stick with GeoVision, mainly cause they work, easy to install and have never had a problem. The new 6.0 software gives a few nice features. I am sure there are plenty of other good ones, or better, but I cant see dropping that kind of money to test one.

I am looking for another alternative.

I wish someone would come out with a 1/2 card!!!! Could really sell some mobile and portable models ... there is a market.

I buy ol junk like old cameras and books from ebay.... but its understood that its OLD Junk!

bCam...

Basically a half leght card, used mostly in the mini-PC's that use the ITX motheboards

Basically a half leght card, used mostly in the mini-PC's that use the ITX motheboards

would be nice to get one that works in one of these )

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/default.asp

Oh ****, those are cool.

yep, i have a client who bought the expresso pc, nice little unit, never got a chance to tes t it though, as it was shippedright bck to the US to her son!

I actually wanted to sell them here, as I have a large client base that have ALOT of money for toys like this, but i didnt have the money to keep any in stock, yet... may still go ahead with it, at a later date, was going to call it Advanced Toyz, and also sell tech watches (like the casio line of camera watches, and PDA type watches), and some other gedgets. hard to do here though without others in stock in case they go bad. When I get money I will definately do it though, and just cater to the rich!

By the way, im doing a quote for someone tomorrow, for CCTV (and updating thier alarm system), who is the 9th richest person in Europe and 1 of the richest in residence in the carribean. I was on their 150+ yaught today doing some computer work, sweet!!! I cant wait to see their home (or its just one of their homes!)

WHO??

Come on, share the wealth

he he he! )))

noone famous

there are alot of people with their type of money, in this community (lyford cay) on the west side of New Providence; thats why i need this, for a foot in the door, and then a walk in through the house of the rich and famouse!!! then I can afford to spread the wealth! heck then I can afford to pay rent!!!! :-0

For interesting toys, check out this. It is a remote voice annunciator and it is really inexpensive. About $149 U.S. for the whole system.

www.voicealert.com

thanks, il take a look. something i can sell here maybe.

Rory

I think it is a bit harsh to say "don't buy anything from Ebay" - it depends what you want. For our basic home security, we got some very cheap and perfectly useable day/night cameras, cable, IR illuminators etc - very very cheap (direct from China) and the quality has in fact rally really surprised me - it is not first class by any means, but it is better than a lot of that which I see in my job used in shops to catch theives and which the companies have paid thousands for!

I have seen precisely the same cameras being sold by dealers within this country for 4 - 5 times the price which I bought mine & paid postage on. If I had a problem I could throw them away and buy more and STILL be better off!

If you want super high quality stuff then of course thats a different matter.

You win some, you lose some on ebay...

Had many great bargains on ebay, including quality kit, sometimes even brand new stuff, at a fraction of the cost of even trade prices.

But I have also had a couple of few duff items, or items that didnt last long, funnily enough, the last camera's that just arrived from a ebayer were a classic example of how things can go wrong.....

They arrived (advertised as in good working order), two no name b&w cams, with lenses and stands. After unpacking the first thing that struck me as odd, was they were metal, mains powered, with the plug cut off - and there clearly was only two wires in that cable - live and nuetral - no earth wire.

Weird... Figured they must be double insulated on the inside, but made a mental note to check after having a quick test to see if they are ok.

Stuck a plug on, and powered up. Nothing happened, nothing at all.

Figured something was wrong, so after making sure the fuse was ok, I unscrewed the camera, to find the camera was 95 percent empty, and the back just came of in my hands, with a couple of inches of mains wire stick out loose...

The camera only had the back board, and front sensor inside it.

The back board had NO connections to the rear BNC, lens drive, on/off switch or anything - and the mains that went in, just dangled inside the camera - bare wired at the end.

Literally a deathtrap waiting to happen.

The other camera had its insides, but had the mains cable cut inside, just like the other one. Well dodgy, and obviously both cameras were not "in good working order".

Waiting for refund (partial as I am happy with the lenses and stands) from the seller, who apologised saying she got them from a friend, and took their word for it they were in good working order.

At the end of the day though, despite the fact they could have probably killed me if the wind was blowing the other way, I still got a bargain, a 3.5 - 8mm varifocal and a 8mm lens, both auto iris, plus two camera stands, plus I managed to fix the other camera (after taking it to bits and figuring out where to wire the power back up insided, and making it safe) and have a spare case and CCD sensor - all for less than 15 pounds, half of which will be refunded to me anways.

If your happy taking a chance, then ebay is great, but if you dont know what you want, or dont like fixing stuff then its not always the best place to shop.

Its also going downhill all the time, with more foreign stuff being sold, and more dodgy sellers joining up, standards have fell a lot over the last few years.

Simply, a business will not buy from Ebay, and an end user will get no support for anything purchased on Ebay, at least not on this forum or from anyone in the business. Too many knock offs and low quality or faulty gear. Most of the so called CCTV gear on there doesnt even count as CCTV equipment, let alone should ever be used in the security industry .. same goes for places like Sams Club & Kmart gear also BTW.

PS. You get what you pay for.