SSpiro

CCTV AND Over the Web?

I have an end user that wants a CCTV system setup that she can also add to her website for public viewing; similar in function to webcams.

Cable is already ran (RG59 Siamese) and had originally planned on a 7 camera dome system with embedded DVR. The DVR I was going to suggest will allow web viewing, but you have to have a login, and only 4 people can view at a time. I don't think she'll be interested in this.

So I'm looking for a solution where she can add a link to view the cameras on the website, externally from her network, without a login.

The business is a pet boarder.

Any good suggestions? This can be a function of the DVR alone, correct?

We need to know more.

Is this so that a dog owner can view their dog from home?

Is this more has a "promotional tool" used on the website to see the location?

Will you need just one camera, or switching cabablilities?

You can take just camera video out (if the DVR has loopout), and you can hook this up to a webserver, and you can get that on to the webpage.

We need to know more.

Is this so that a dog owner can view their dog from home?

Yes.

Is this more has a "promotional tool" used on the website to see the location?

Yes.

Will you need just one camera, or switching cabablilities?

I think she would prefer to have a link for each camera.. 7 cameras, 7 links perhaps?

You can take just camera video out (if the DVR has loopout), and you can hook this up to a webserver, and you can get that on to the webpage.

I haven't selected a DVR yet.. so I'll keep this in mind. She didn't plan on hosting her site locally.. so not sure how to move forward on that.

Check out ustream.tv . They stream live video and foot the bill for the bandwidth. I've heard you can embed the stream into your site like with youtube too.

Will she charge extra for this "service"?

I think you can get 7 IP cameras, and a Sonic Firewall. This way she can remove passwords from customers for what ever reason.

What do you think?

Will she charge extra for this "service"?

I think you can get 7 IP cameras, and a Sonic Firewall. This way she can remove passwords from customers for what ever reason.

What do you think?

I think IP will be out of her budget.. Regular dome cameras were pushing it.

In addition, RG59 is already ran.

Not sure on the charging. Other boarders offer this as a service in the "upgraded" suites. She had the siamese ran to the suites, so i'm not sure if she's charging or not..

I think the way she wants to set it up as that each suite has its own camera, and that its considered an upgrade. Customer pays for the upgrade, and then is given the login/pw and link for the camera..

There has to be a way to do it..

I think the way she wants to set it up as that each suite has its own camera, and that its considered an upgrade. Customer pays for the upgrade, and then is given the login/pw and link for the camera..

There are definitely ways to do it, but I question whether her budget allows for it. The easiest way to set it up would be to employ one DVR card per suite and essentially give each client remote view options. Problem is, budget-level DVR cards don't work terribly well in tandem, so you'd be looking at separate systems. Note that I mention this option because you don't seem terribly technically astute. The other option is to go the fully networked route - run everything into a central control server at her location and then out....

Even if you have the knowledge to build your own Linux box and install everything/do all the programming for her, you're still almost certainly looking at more money than if you put an IP camera in each suite.

Finally, the last option is to pull a mid-1990s internet trick and install a series of 'pet cams' using really simple, low end web cams. But then why would she want to hire you?

If her budget is that low of a range then try an AVTech AVC785.

Just be aware that the video is not that great over the internet, but then that would match her budget.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

Better yet would be an ICRealtime DVR Flex w/ R30 upgrade.

http://icrealtime.com/solutions/dvrfxr30.asp

Now all you have to do is program multiple users.

What do you think?

If her budget is that low of a range then try an AVTech AVC785.

Just be aware that the video is not that great over the internet, but then that would match her budget.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

Better yet would be an ICRealtime DVR Flex w/ R30 upgrade.

http://icrealtime.com/solutions/dvrfxr30.asp

Now all you have to do is program multiple users.

What do you think?

Hmm. The ICRealtime is interesting. Will do some more reading into this one.

Any idea on the list price of this one?

There are definitely ways to do it, but I question whether her budget allows for it. The easiest way to set it up would be to employ one DVR card per suite and essentially give each client remote view options. Problem is, budget-level DVR cards don't work terribly well in tandem, so you'd be looking at separate systems. Note that I mention this option because you don't seem terribly technically astute. The other option is to go the fully networked route - run everything into a central control server at her location and then out....

Even if you have the knowledge to build your own Linux box and install everything/do all the programming for her, you're still almost certainly looking at more money than if you put an IP camera in each suite.

Finally, the last option is to pull a mid-1990s internet trick and install a series of 'pet cams' using really simple, low end web cams. But then why would she want to hire you?

I'm very technical... but I haven't come across this scenario yet, so its fresh for me.

The pet cams really aren't an option. Linux box possibly, but I'd prefer not to do it.

Embedded would be my #1 choice.