todd2

AVC761 and Manual Record Enable

Anyone know to stop a manually initiated record besides disabling

Manual Record Enable from the menu? If I hit the record button,

it will start recording, but hitting the stop button doesn't stop it.

I was about to yank the power when I figured out I could stop the

record by disabling manual record enable. The weird thing also is,

if I try to enable it, it asks me whether I want to start recording,

and if I say no, it doesn't enable it. It sounds like they confused

"manual record enable" with actually recording or not recording.

At least, I'm confused.

You are not confused. As you are reading it, and understanding it then you have a firm grasp on "how it is".

The reason it is asking you this is you also have other options.

Would you like to record by timer? Some people will have nurses come in to take care of a home bound patient. They will only want to record from 9am to 5pm, and not record anyother time.

Would you like to record by motion detection? This will spread out the information that you can record to your hard drive allowing you to get more "time" on your system.

You will find these instructions on my webpage http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

There are instructions on how to diable motion beep, and other tips, and info.

HOW TO SET UP MOTION DETECTION WITH THE FOLLOWING DVRs

AVC 760, AVC 761, AVC 781, AVC 782, AVC 782A

If your motion detection screen is pink then it is not recording. Pink is used for motion masking such as trees, bushes, ect.

If your screen is clear, and you can see your camera video then that is the correct setting.

select MENU

select ADVANCE

select DETECTION Move the cursor to the second column marked DET, make sure it says ON for all of the cameras that you have hooked up.

Now move the cursor to the third column marked AREA. On cam one press enter. If the page is pink then this is not seeing "motion", if it is clear than it is looking for motion to trigger recording.

Here is the hard part to describe. Find where the cursor is blinking (probably around the center of the screen somewhere) using the left arrow move it to the far left of your screen, using the up arrow go all the way to the top of the screen. Press enter (this marks a starting point), move the cursor down to the bottom of the screen, (do not touch any buttons except arrow/directional buttons), when you get to the bottom of the screen use the right arrow, and move the cursor to the right.

Here is what you should be seeing. When you pressed enter at the top of the screen the square went from pink to clear, as you pressed the arrow down the whole column became clear. As you used the right arrow the screen slowly became clear as you worked your way to the right.

When you get to the right side of the screen you can move your hand in front of a camera and you will see all of the squares "activating" as it follows your movements. Press ENTER to stop the selection process. You are now good to go for motion detection.

Press MENU to back out of camera one area, and press the down arrow to get to camera two area. Press ENTER, and repeat steps for each camera.

Here is a trick. If you have some outdoor cameras, and you have some bushes, trees, ect, then you can set up motion masking. Now the bushes, and trees will not trigger your cameras.

Move the cursor to where you want to start a motion area. Start at the top of this area, press enter, go down as many squares as you need then work your way to the left or right to make a "motion" box. Press enter to stop the selection process. You can now freely move the cursor. Go to your next area that you want motion detection, and make your box, rectangle, or just go wild to get all of the nooks, and cranny around moving objects.

Press menu to get out of AREA, press menu to get out of Detection.

Go to RECORD

go to manual record

press enter. It should say YES

Press menu to get out of the menu pages.

SMALL BOX:

If you have a small clear box before you get started then turn it pink, and then go, and turn the whole screen "clear".

Let me know how you want to set it up. Do you have a manual?

It sounds like they confused

"manual record enable" with actually recording or not recording

Assuming mine is the same that's what I understand too, recording or not recording continuously is called "manual recording."

When I try to power mine off (by holding down the power button for a few seconds) it will ask me to switch off manual recording first, not an unreasonable request.

As far as I understand manual recording is independent of recording by timer, or event ("event" being motion or alarm trigger.) So you get recording if any of the four conditions demand it.

With manual record on (24/7) and motion det set to on, every time you get a motion event it shows up as MS on the search screen. If you set a time on the motion det screen, it will only create an MS event if it is within the time selected. That way you have 24/7 coverage but also can find the motion alarms easier.

davec

Ok, let me try to restate what I'm asking.

When I touch the 'record' button, the DVR automatically sets the "manual record enable" to

true for me--I don't have to navigate through the menus. The record button is a shortcut.

Is there a shortcut (single button) to turn off the "manual record enable"?

No there is not.

Imagine you own a diamond store. What would keep your employess from turning off the DVR while they help themselves to incoming product that is not inventoried on the books??

Yes a locked room with a DVR lock box is a great idea!

my avc760 also doesn't stop from the panel. I have to enter the code, and then go to the menu, which freaks me out a lot.

I thought that was a bug. Now I consider it a feature

I think it would be sufficient to protect the "stop record" like "off". You

can't shut the DVR off without logging in, right? I can understand requiring

that, but once I'm logged in I can go to the menus and shut down recording

anyway, so why not let the stop button work?

I actually thought about using my universal remote to just program a

macro to navigate through the menus and stop recording, but the menus

unfortunately remember the last place you left them rather than starting

at the top item, so the macro wouldn't work very well.

I like the menus remembering your last selections - it makes experimentation easier.

You could install your own "record" switch on one of the four alarm inputs (and set that channel to "low" in the detection menu under "alarm.") That should do what you want.