rory

UTP & BNC Enclosure

Okay, this one probably goes out to the network guys:

this is what I need:

I have 1 Store, 5 Cameras. I have a second store 100' away, where the DVR is, and the other cameras.

I will send the signal from buulding to building using UTP Baluns, in one large multi pair which will also send Telco and Alarm (1 pair per camera, thats 5 pairs or 10 conductors).

Id like a Junction box, that accepts the incoming UTP from those 5 cameras (1 pair each), and then goes out to the DVR with RG59. In other words i dont want the Baluns direct at the DVR. If the enclosure also has punch downs for phone lines and alarm that would be good also.

Should I just use any enclosue and get a network CO to hook up come punch downs? Once the baluns are connected in the box properly screwed to the terminals and the box is closed then it should be okay yes? Then I can just do the same at the other end ...?

They want to do this as cheap as possible so thats why Im not using something like NVT.

thanks

Rory

sounds like it will work fine like that. judging by the date of this post, chances are you've already finished. did it work ok? sorry about the late response, I only just came across you guys, as I am new to this side, but I do have some network exp. anyways, just wondering if it worked out Rory. hope it did.

gary

Hi, yes, actually still on it. Working on the alarm move now. Yes it did work though,with the cameras.

What I did is use an enclosure with some terminal strips for the video and power (power locally just wanted to run it on 1 cat5 cable to the power box), and the other side of the video goes to the main building. Phone like will

use terminal strips also. Network, I may leave to the clients point of sale people, got my hands full as it is.

Cant find punch blocks anywhere here ..! I guess those that have them just wont sell them..anyway for what im doing terminal strips worked out great.

Rory

awesome! sounds like the term strips were the way to go anyway, as if you wanted puchdowns you may have been limited to 66-blocks, which would have been overkill. glad it worked out for ya though.

thanks, ill get some photos in the next couple days, waiting to finish the alarm part first, and phone, maybe finished tomorrow..

im also figuring out a way to cover the cat5 cable and balun at the camera end, probably use some of that plastic wire cover used in car engines, the fancy type .. just so you wont see the balun, it will go from the drop ceiling to the very back of the camera, would have to be same width of the balun to go over it, cosmetic only. I just dont like the look of bulky baluns on the back of a camera ...anwyay, once it works

ever thought about heat shrink tubing? we used alot of it in telecom, especially in the head-in rooms. very slick looking and easy to do. and if color is an issue it is available in different colors as well. just a thought.

ever thought about heat shrink tubing? we used alot of it in telecom, especially in the head-in rooms. very slick looking and easy to do. and if color is an issue it is available in different colors as well. just a thought.

Uhm, I don't think that you want to use Shrink tubbing over a balun. His best bet is using FlexTubing, one with a 1" inch diameter.

both great ideas guys, actually, the place is a car audio visual etc place, so they have plenty of the plastic stuff like flex tubing . gonna give it a whirl when im all done ..

no of sourse not. just reread rory's post.somehow missed the part of covering the balun for cosmetics. my bad. need to brush up on my reading comprehension evidently.

both great ideas guys, actually, the place is a car audio visual etc place, so they have plenty of the plastic stuff like flex tubing . gonna give it a whirl when im all done ..

Yeah, Split loom is good stuff. I like the Spiral Wrap stuff too. But if you will have a bend then the Split Loom will probably cover the cables better. I feel the Spiral Wrap is better for pysical portection of the cables. It's thicker and doesn't seem as susceptible to being crushed.