scorpion

Apple courts iPhone developers! (DVR APPS)??

Apple courts iPhone developers!

Now is your chance to develop DVR applications to view video!!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/78017,apple-courts-iphone-developers.aspx

By Shaun Nichols

11 June 2008 07:48AM

Tags: apple | courts | iphone | developers

Apple has been talking up its iPhone software development kit at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco..

Plans for the SDK were announced in October after Apple was criticised for its decision to limit developers to browser-based applications. The kit has been in beta for several months.

Apple promised that the SDK will give developers the same access to the iPhone's hardware enjoyed by the firm's in-house programmers.

The tool will also be familiar to Mac OS developers, according to Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iPhone software.

Forstall paraded a number of companies, including Sega, eBay and Typepad, which showcased early versions of their own iPhone applications.

Developers will be able to create software in Apple's existing X-Code development environment, and much of the iPhone's code, from its APIs down to its kernel, is very similar to Mac OS.

The company even offers Cocoa Touch, a touchpad development tool based on the OS X Cocoa framework.

Developers will be able to test code on any computer by way of the iPhone Simulator, a PC-based tool that recreates the iPhone environment.

Apple then plans to allow developers a number of ways to distribute iPhone applications.

Commercial applications will be sold through the AppStore on iTunes. Developers will be able to set their own prices for the software and Apple will pocket 30 per cent of the sales.

For in-house developers, the company will offer a feature to distribute software within a company.

An enterprise will be able to authorise a set of iPhones for use with its specific network. In-house applications can then be downloaded to workstations on that network and synchronised to the iPhones.

Apple also plans to issue a service for students and instructors known as Ad-Hoc. This will allow a teacher to authorise up to 100 iPhones to share and repost code within a closed network.

Students and instructors will then be able to review and exchange applications for the device.

Apple plans to release the final version of the iPhone SDK by September.

I just watched the almost 2 hour keynote on the iphone.

I think i am sold now that it can do push email, contacts and calender. I have used one to control a AXIS ptz though the web interface with wifi. I can wait to log in to cameras with 3G.

There is going to be alot of useful programs. I was going to get the new BB Bold but this changed my mind. And you can't beat the price $199

not my cup of tea, too small and too unproductive.

maybe they should look at some software development for macs, which is Actually a useful size.

not my cup of tea, too small and too unproductive.

maybe they should look at some software development for macs, which is Actually a useful size.

I am sorry Rory but I think the iphone has a lot of potential and not just with IP cameras and DVRs.

Think if what you can do with it when it come to home automation.

This is a IP addressable IR controller that could be used with the iphone to control your home theater.

82908_1.jpg

So for $199 I can:

control my theater

turn on and of my lights

arm and disarm my security system

view and control my IP cameras

lock and unlock doors

surf the web

and its a phone

that is just that start

People pay tens of thousands of dollars to do this with Crestron and AMX.

Now you have the iphone that can do this for $199 I WISH I KNEW HOW TO WRITE CODE I COULD BE RICH

I prefer the Eee PC

Developers and end users can do alot more with that.

As for the phone part, I have a land line.

As for the cell phone part, I dont use them anymore (hurts my head).

But if I did, unless it had a flash light, I wouldn't even look at it, as my Nokia has a flashlight built in

So Iphone for me? No thanks. They couldn't give it to me free, I would resell it to pay for more ram or something useful.

I prefer the Eee PC

Developers and end users can do alot more with that.

As for the phone part, I have a land line.

As for the cell phone part, I dont use them anymore (hurts my head).

But if I did, unless it had a flash light, I wouldn't even look at it, as my Nokia has a flashlight built in

So Iphone for me? No thanks. They couldn't give it to me free, I would resell it to pay for more ram or something useful.

You can't compare a laptop to a PDA. Rory I want you to stick the Eee in your pocket

You can't compare a laptop to a PDA. Rory I want you to stick the Eee in your pocket

Its an Ultra Portable BTW .. can almost fit in the pocket

I just dont see any poiunt to things like PDAs etc, Ive had them, and they are just too small to be useful IMO.