sf1964

siamese cable w/power lead

Why will it eventually give me problems?

I don’t want to run it if that is the case.

I have 2-3 50ft lengths to run and 1 100ft length.

It works fine lying on my house floor.

Of course there is nothing near it to cause problems.

I don’t want to use this stuff if there will be shielding issues.

I thought if I stayed at least a foot away from electrical I would be OK?

it will work BUT it is not good stuff. it is more vunerable to noise, interferance, and can stretch/break easily. along time ago I started out with that thin stuff and ended up repulling all of it.........lesson learned was spend the money on a reel of siamese RG, buy connectors, and a crimper and do it right the first time. Also, the thin stuff will most likely have a higher signal loss/voltage drop because it is thin wire guage. 50ft. is not a a long shot but I never install it again. The ONLY time I use it is when I need to hang a camera quick for serucity reasons, and then I run it on the floor, over counters, and hallways until I get time to go in and run the RG.

it will work but it will get ya sooner or later. There is a reason why us installers DON't buy it/use it.

I was under the impression that it was the thicker shielded stuff. I saw some West Penn wire that was the thicker shielded stuff and thought this was what I was getting. Alas I was wrong.

I will probably install it just to see how it works out as it is not that difficult of a job. Pretty much straight shot in the attic with a fairly good amount of clearance to work in. If it doesn’t work out I will much more careful in making sure I get the right cabling.

I have had so many delays on this job that I can’t spend anymore time waiting for parts, etc.

After testing the thin Siamese cable I have decided not to install it.

It is too thin. This stuff is not suitable for pulling, unless it doesn’t get stuck on anything.

The cable is very rubbery and will get caught on things very easily.

The package it came in did not list the gauge of power wire, 24AVG?

Unless somebody else has some recommendations I think I am going to go with this stuff:

http://www.lowvoltagewire.com/product.asp?itemid=135&catid=32

Earlier in this post SpyTown said the West Penn cable didn’t come in white or black.

That is the two colors I would use the most.

Do you have a link to some white and black cable with similar specs or better?

What about this Coleman cable SpyTown mentioned?

The weird part is I just clicked on a link earlier in the thread and it took me to their website which shows that same cable in black?

Which is better; West Penn or Coleman's siamese cable?