koolkat

Changing DVMRe-16CT-80 harddrive?

Is there anyway to add more storage to the DVMRe-16CT-80 by changing the harddrive? I would like to change it to 160GB but i didnt know if this was possible.

If it is possible...do you have a recommendation of which drive will work?

Thanks

Very easy to do... you can add two 500GB for total of 1TB or even two 750GB drives to get to 1.5TB internal storage... Make sure that you configure the drives correctly as master and slave...

There is one more thing to do after the drives are changed... you need to install special utility available only from GE (you can download it from their website after you create an account), that will add your remote view control and features.. and that is all...

We have done quite of few upgrades like this and it works perfectly!

The 80GB hard drive in my DVMRe-10CT failed not too long ago.

I replaced it with two 320GB Seagate SV hard drives. Any IDE drive will work as far as I know.

I downloaded the GE utility and installed the software. It was staight forward. No problems.

Make sure that you purchase IDE drives, not SATA.

one thing i have noticed when i installed 2/ 750gb seagate hdds in my storesafe pro ..... i get the icon that the harddrive is bad ....but everything works fine......when i do a hdd test thru the menu it passes but still the icon and i did download the web interface utility thru my laptop onto the unit?...... the icon is the little icon bottom of screen in the center with the X thru it. oh and the boot up does read 1.5 terabyte hdd.

one thing i have noticed when i installed 2/ 750gb seagate hdds in my storesafe pro ..... i get the icon that the harddrive is bad ....but everything works fine......when i do a hdd test thru the menu it passes but still the icon and i did download the web interface utility thru my laptop onto the unit?...... the icon is the little icon bottom of screen in the center with the X thru it. oh and the boot up does read 1.5 terabyte hdd.

Contact GE and get their latest firmware for your unit... that will solve the hard drive recognition problem... and then you can easily install the utility...

thanks

what type of hd will work?

We use Seagate surveillance version hard drives... compared to commercial versions... surveillance versions are designed to operate 24/7... and it may cost few bucks more, but well worth it... Get the retail version, so that you can have five years warranty... if need help, let me know... I have plenty in stock for 250GB, 500GB and 750GB... Seagate announced that majority or if not all their PATA drives are on the way out and no replacements may be avail... they still have them, but it is matter of time when they stop making them..

Just a question, but software/hardware design workplace PCs are usually

left on 24/7 rather than shut off for the day since users may log in from

home to do work or virus scans/updates run at night. Often times these

are Dells that use consumer-grade harddrives. I'm not aware of any

issue nor have any of my (personal) machines ever had hard drive failures

in 13 years of using such PCs.

Coworkers have had hard drive failures but they just replaced them with

another consumer-grade drive. Life should be at least 3 years of

continuous running, at which point you probably want to upgrade to get

higher capacity anyway.

Provided the drive is stationary, not subjected to shock, and cooled

properly, I don't see that continuous running is worse than subjecting

it to start/stop cycles. Each start cycle releases particles into the drive

that can eventually cause problems--that's why drives are rated for

max start/stop cycles. Continuous run can wear the bearing, but it

usually progresses in a predicted decay unless the drive is subjected

to shocks or attitude changes.

todd2, heat is what kills drive mainly... From the design stand point, I know that the surveillance version drives come with more heat dissipating components that have much higher tolerance levels than the commercial versions... Also, experience is an irreplaceable animal... Based on many years of use of the standard commercial grade drives and observing many problems, failures, etc... it was an obvious choice to go with this new grade drives... Well, these drives are not perfect, but provide my lower level of failures than conventional drives.

By no means these drives will conform with your "shock" tests either. If you want these type of setup, then there are shock absorber components that you can add with drives and make it even better, but only if it is required..

HDD Failures will lesson if one uses a decent Voltage Regulator. Ive never yet seen a hard drive fail inside a PC thats been connected to an AVR. Heat could also be a suspect, but really, my hard drives spin just fine in my apartment which is like 100+ degrees almost all year long. Every PC hard drive failure Ive seen was due to power.

I have a dvmre 10ezt 80 Hard drive failed. I need info on the software to prep the drive. I have an 80 gb ATA installed and formated/fat32. System reads no hard drive detected. I read above post about downloading software. I was unable to locate this link. Is there anyway someone that has solved this issue and post a link?

I went here looking and feel like I am close but not sure what i am looking for. I contacted GE but they claim this item has been discontinued and are completely unwilling to help me.

http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.1558a63818f2c07ad0f3d010c4030730/?vgnextoid=711800a1e7184010VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD

Just delete the partition on the drive in Windows or other OS, then stick it in the DVR, it will auto format it and use its own file system.

Worked well so far.

GE Tech gave wrong info on the drive needing to have a fat/32 format. Seems the partiton removal worked fine. Testing the workings of the unit next. Thank you for your fast reply on this old topic. Seems information does NOT stay on the web/net forever. This old unit has very little tech help out there and this information saved hours of time in trial and error.

I will post again after I have used the unit. Looking good so far.

The "ERROR : NO HARD DISK FOUND!" is no longer showing on system start up.

Thank you.

Just a question, but software/hardware design workplace PCs are usually

left on 24/7 rather than shut off for the day since users may log in from

home to do work or virus scans/updates run at night. Often times these

are Dells that use consumer-grade harddrives. I'm not aware of any

issue nor have any of my (personal) machines ever had hard drive failures

in 13 years of using such PCs.

Those drives aren't seeing continuous, prolonged read/write operations, though... and if these are Windows-based machines, I believe most versions of Windows from 2000-on have power settings that default to spinning down the drives after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Yep definitely not a fat/fat32 filesystem, it uses the Nucleus RTOS. They might have been mistake with a newer model or a different model. Either way glad it worked for you. Most stand alones are like this though, once you provide them with a blank hard disk they will partition and format it with their own file system.

Worked well so far.

GE Tech gave wrong info on the drive needing to have a fat/32 format. Seems the partiton removal worked fine. Testing the workings of the unit next. Thank you for your fast reply on this old topic. Seems information does NOT stay on the web/net forever. This old unit has very little tech help out there and this information saved hours of time in trial and error.

I will post again after I have used the unit. Looking good so far.

The "ERROR : NO HARD DISK FOUND!" is no longer showing on system start up.

Thank you.

GE tech was not totally wrong... even though this DVR uses machine language based OS (if Rory thinks it is Nucleus RTOS, then that is what it uses), there is a utility that must be installed allowing to have this DVR to be remote connected, which actually uses FAT32 format of a very small portion of the drive - the utility actually assigns this small partition, format it as fat32 and then installs this application... This utility is called DVR Uploader Utility (2.6) and here is the url where it is: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=bbb93668cd0a9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD#

Hope this helps...

GE tech was not totally wrong... even though this DVR uses machine language based OS (if Rory thinks it is Nucleus RTOS, then that is what it uses), there is a utility that must be installed allowing to have this DVR to be remote connected, which actually uses FAT32 format of a very small portion of the drive - the utility actually assigns this small partition, format it as fat32 and then installs this application... This utility is called DVR Uploader Utility (2.6) and here is the url where it is: http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.11620ebca5cc0a06574efe10140041ca/?vgnextoid=bbb93668cd0a9110VgnVCM100000592d7003RCRD#

Hope this helps...

Do you mean the browser based app? I believe that used a portion of the drive?

If so in the older units it never had that, never was an HTTP server or port.

That was added in the newer units about the time I stopped using them.

Before that it was Wavereader (or my software) only, which is why I also created my own browser app using their SDK at the time.

It was Nucleus back in the day, though they may have changed that in the newer models.

Hello,

I have a DVMRe-16CT.

I tried upgrading to two 500GB PATA HDDs and it's not recognizing them correctly.

When the unit boots it shows: "Disk size 137.44 GB"

I have each drive set as master single/master on each controller.

When I try booting with a small hdd (10GB) it recognizes it perfectly.

My specifications:

Software Version: 5.73

Boot loader: 1.03

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian