wisp_engineer

2-Camera Design Question

I am working on a 2-camera system. The coaxial run must go from the main building where the DVR is located to across the parking lot to their warehouse/shop where a pair of fixed cameras will be located.

First, I guesstimate this run around 350-400 feet. RG-59 should be good enough without having to add any amplifiers on the line is that correct? My understanding is that you can go 750-feet on 59 before you run into problems.

Second, since this run is across the lot between two buildings I am concerned about a difference in voltage potential which could cause damage to the equipment should static build up. I would normally think one would put in fiber as the transport for the video feed from camera to DVR but the ADI guys say coax is fine. I am having them add in a surge supressor per camera. Should I put this at the camera end or at the DVR end? Normally NEC requires protection at the building entrance but that'd be odd to do I think.

Thoughts or suggestions?

RG59 will be fine.

You could use External CAT5 between buildings then RG59 to the cameras.

This would leave you with two spare pairs for additional cameras or spares should if a pair went down.

Fiber is a bit over the top, unless the property is owned by Bill Gates !

Thanks for the reply.

Well my thought of fiber was that it would protect the equipment from any surges induced through the line. I am planning on putting a surge protector from Ditek either at the head end or the camera and bonding that back to their electrical grounding system. Hopefully this will protect it.

I looked into some passive baluns and cat5 but by the time you totaled those items up, it was more than just running the coax. All indications are that this customer is not interested in adding additional cameras at the location.

Rg59 should be ok. I recommend puting surge on both ends and tie the ground in accordingly.

Fiber would be over the top unless the customer wants to spend the $.

Thats a good question. I have encountered ground loops when doing that only once in as many as 50 installs. The main reason I like to bond both ends with surge protection is the fact that the coax itself can create an indifference to ground and attract lightning and other surge sources. If a ground loop is encountered I just put a ground loop isolator on the control end to remedy the problem.

Alright. Well I'll look into trying to bond before entering each building. It might require a significant installation charge if I have to do a driven rod at the entry point and then bond back to the main rod with #2 CU......