kkell69

SD Card to ide

just anorther quick question.

Has anyone been able to connect a sd card to ide adapter to a dvr in replace of the HDD?

Yes and you are better off starting with an industrial CF with direct insert.

Don't use the USB units as you go into windows it will drop USB and you will fail to boot.

Expect a long drawn out experience make sure you have acronis and your test hardware is basically etched in stone.

thanks for your reply

I have tried what you said,

The Dvr starts and sees the CF card but then reboots. How do I know if the CF card is an industrial CF card. The one I have has is only 512kb do you think thats why it restarts?

Thanks

Yes I will be. The DVR has a removable Hdd caddy and will plug it into there. The Hdd is a 2.5" as the DVR is a Mobile DVR.

I have now managed to get a CF card to work in the dvr. It is a seagate ST1 5GB and works as well as the HDD.

Next problem is that when I put the CF card into a usb card reader then connect to pc the software that came with the DVR called PCViewer will not reconise it!

If I connect the HDD to a USB adapter PCviewer works fine! Why will the software not work with the CF card?

Any thoughts or advice will be great?

Thanks

Windows looks at "removable" drives differently, thats why I originally asked if you were plugging it in via USB or directly into an IDE port. Windows refuses to install on removable media and treats it differently in other ways as well. I think you found another way.

(You also often cannot boot USB devices because as Windows loads it will load it's USB host drivers and in doing so all USB devices get restarted. This restart occurs while Windows is loading and since the disk kit is loaded from gets reset as well...)

I didn't realize at first that you were talking about the video storage side of a single use DVR.

sorry colin but I am lost! when it comes to this sort of stuff I am a bit green!

Are you saying that I can get the pcviewer software to read the cf card in a usb reader? or that it is impossible?

I can see the ide drive when I connect that using a usb adapter (ide to usb cable) but it would be much easier to use cf cards as I plan on giving them out to the students to view thier driving lessons at home on thier PC

Thanks

sorry colin but I am lost! when it comes to this sort of stuff I am a bit green!

Are you saying that I can get the pcviewer software to read the cf card in a usb reader? or that it is impossible?

I can see the ide drive when I connect that using a usb adapter (ide to usb cable) but it would be much easier to use cf cards as I plan on giving them out to the students to view thier driving lessons at home on thier PC

Thanks

I have now managed to get a CF card to work in the dvr. It is a seagate ST1 5GB and works as well as the HDD.

I wanted to know what you are using to plug the CF card in to. Is this plugged in to the ide cable?

Can you post a link to the device?

Thanks!

Edited by Guest

this one is for a 2.5 laptop HDD and will not need a power supply but you can buy 3.5 hdd to cf adapters that will have a power supply connection from the dvr just like what a floppy drive has.

Thanks for the info!

I am going to post this on my website if you do not mind.

Any links that would give me more tech detail?