3RDIGLBL

Sensor/Alarm Relays

I've seen a few blurbs on this subject but not what I was looking for, figured I would start another.

Do you folks find yourself building your own relay modules?

Let's say you have a DVR with Alarm out Max30V/2A and you want to turn on a light for instance. I have a BSEET and can easily figure out how to make my own design but generally speaking one should not need a degree to figure out this stuff......anyway got sidetracked. So if it is just an alarm then one could power a 12VDC Relay at the DVR source and pass it through the N/O alarm terminals on the DVR. Motion is detected and click the relay closes. Now if I wanted to have a bed lamp switch on you now have to have a 12VDC triggered relay than can pass 120VAC through the contacts. No problem but one would have to build a relay box and maybe put an appliance outlet into the box and the relays inside the box. There does not seem to be an easy relay box for this or an online place that I could find that has these type solutions available. The only option is to build one I think unless someone knows of an accessories place for DVR that may have this.

I may have to go buy a project box and relays over at Radio Shack and build my own but I'd rather buy one call it plain lazy...

Don't know of a quick fix but I would use a short extension cord or plug strip. Cut the cord and pass it through the box to minimize the work. A solid state relay might be more convenient to wire up and provide a more gentle load on the DVR. Otherwise maybe a relay with push-on crimped lugs, not forgetting the back EMF diode.

Just remembered, I made this sort of thing once, I put the relay inside the plug strip. Ah, but newer plug strips probably don't come apart as easy.

Try to think of it as fun...

I agree with Kiwi about that solid state relay.

I am in luck because all of the major corporations have to send the left over products to company that recycles the componets!

This company also goes to all of the auctions, and buys computers, parts, and accessories!

This is a huge warehouse, and I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Perhaps you have an electronic "playland" of your own in your area?

Thanks for reminding me of the back EMF Diode

You guys have experience with any particular solid state diodes you can share? Part number or cross reference number maybe.

When I live near Boston I had a place called You-Do-It-Electronics and THAT was a candy store I could spent HOURS in. I love the place and whenever I get down to Boston every few months I stop there.

Unfortunately I now live......well lets just say in the Tundra It'll reach -40 here in the winters. Population not very large so I have no candy stores within a convenient drive. I would have to order or maybe Radio Shack near by might have something.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I would have to build something each time so that is something I have to keep in the back of my mind when writing up estimates.