magicsid

Internet Connection problem. Orange light on router??

Hi

I’m having trouble connecting my LILIN PDR-2060 to my router, I have connected one end to the DVR other end into port 2 on my netgear wireless router, the Number 2 on the front of the router is orange, all other lights are green, shouldn’t this orange light be green? Also I have tried to ping the IP address of the DVR, it came back as 4 packets sent, 0 packets received. 100% loss.

Does anyone know what my problem could be?

I really need an idiots guide to setting it up, im not to hot on networking so replies in deep technical terms might not mean much to me..

I really appreciate someone’s help

the manual to my DVR http://www.meritlilin.co.uk/assets/2160CSE-1.pdf

It has been my experience that an orange link light is for a 10Mbps connection instead of a typical 100Mbps connection. That alone shouldn't keep you from pinging it, But 10Mbps only network cards are rare now a days.

I would try a different patch cable, different port on the router, and if all else fails I would try a crossover cable and connect directly to a PC.

If all that fails and you feel the networking is set up correctly (all you need is the IP address and Subnet correct to ping) I would call tech support. That DVR stuck on 10Mbps may indicate a bad network card?

What's your routers' part number? Also, if you're running antivirus software with firewall protection it could be that the antivirus is stopping you from pinging the DVR. You may have to open some ports or allow access to certain programs. Try turing off your firewall for a few minutes.

I looked at the manual you posted and it seems pretty straight forward. Did you give the DVR a static IP that is in the same scheme as your router built in DHCP server? ex. 192.168.1.1 is router, you give your DVR 192.168.1.155?

You need to use the same subnet as your routers. If your not sure go to your PC, click start, go to run, (XP), search, (Vista), type cmd, hit enter. you will see a command prompt window. Type ipconfig and then hit enter. You should see you own PC's IP address, subnet mask and gateway. Use the same gateway and subnet as your PC. Use a different IP address for you DVR. Ex.

IP 192.168.1.4 (would be your pc)

Subnet 255.255.255.0 (subnet of your routers allowed IP range)

Gateway 192.168.1.1 (typically your router is the gateway)

Seems your DVR has a built in web browser access, try putting your DVR IP address in the web address bar in your browser and hit enter. If that does not work try your DVR IP:80- ex. 192.168.1.155:80 this will direct you to port 80 which is the DVRs default.

Orange light typically means 10Mbps. Sometimes if one makes his own patch cables the pairs are not connected correctly so the router switch tries to compensate for the bad signal loss and brings down the bandwidth on that particular switch port. Since it is a router made for the private market, it only knows two maybe three modes, 10/100 an sometimes /1000. like C7 in CA says, switch patch cables.