blake

Need help with ranch style home cctv system

I have an L-shaped ranch style home with the l-leg being on the right.I'm looking for guidance on a 8 camera system to cover my 2 car driveway,front door,left side gate entrance,right side gate entrance and 3 cameras for my back yard.The back yard cam's are needed to cover back door to left of chimney,back door and sliding patio doors to right of chimney and one more camera to cover rear blind spot of right side gate entrance.I've researched and found 8 camera dvr kits for around 1,000-1500.00 which is around my price range.I'm trying to keep it at no more than 1200.00.I have vinyl siding all the way around with a 12" wide soffit,but it's empty inside.It just has the vinyl sorta screening laid in it.Each camera needs to see between 25-40'.I found a 8 camera dvr system called the CLEARVU3 by Svat for 1200.00.Will this work or should i look elsewhere?

Those cameras doesn't suit your application.

I have no idea about that DVR.

Those cameras is only good for an acceptable image at around 5-10'

A world renowned billiards player can beat you at a game of billiards using nothing more than a sawed off broom stick.

It is in knowing how to use an item that makes or breaks it success.

How much do you know about how lens selection will effect your video?

How much do you know about matching the camera to your environment?

A year down the road a crime against you is committed. The intruder walks away a free man as the video was not enough to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that he was the intruder. How much can you afford to lose? You have to set a threshhold of security. If you are only protecting simple home electronics, and such then this would be a perfect system.

I did not say this product was a perfect system, I am saying that based on a low threat level, and the budget that you have posted then you have made a selection that suits you personally.

I am a low budget expert. The other "commercial installers" would laugh me off this forum if they have seen some of the installs that I have done.

A couple of years ago I was installing in neighborhoods where the income level was $10,000, to 15,000 a year. As you can see there is not much room for high end products.

I avoid packaged deals because of many, many reasons. I would prefer to mix, and match cameras to get the effect that I need.

Let use a bar as an example. I get a price budget that leaves all of the other companies just dropping off a business card, and saying "call me when you get serious", and then they exit stage left.

I will put an expensive camera at the front door, and I will use one at the back door, and one at the register.

To watch pool tables, dart boards, and the table areas, then I will use a one inch by one inch mini camera. Is this a "video surveillance" camera?

No, not really, but it suits the needs, and the budget. If there is an event then we can look at the video, and then we can go to the front door camera to get the facial shot of the guy in the video.

See how I am mixing and matching, but staying within a budget?

Here is what you need to know about wide angle camera lenses.

They are only good for close range viewing, and nothing else. They are designed to pull in the left peripheral, and the right peripheral area to create a wide viewing area. Anything that is 20 feet or farther will actually appear even farther away in the video. To avoid this lens distortion then you need a 6mm lens. This prevents the distortion, but you lose the extra left, and right peripheral vision!

IR, and night vision is your next hurdle. Unless your house is lit up like a WalMart Parking lot then none of these cameras are going to give you the view when you realize that someone is actually standing in your yard!

You really need to hire a CCTV company in your area, and have them design a low budget system for you, and have them install it.

You may spend more, but it will be worth it in the long run!

You are buying the equipment at the same price as what a dealer would be paying at so you are saving a lot of money on the "mark up".

You have now become your own CCTV "company". You will have to provide your own tech support. If something goes wrong then you have to fix it!

You have to provide the system design. Are you prepared for this?

If you are then go ahead, and protect yourself.

Something is better than nothing.

You will find that this is going to be an on going CCTV lesson. As your learning curve grows, then your expectations are going to grow as well.

I hope you enjoy your system!

Have you visited the ARTICLES SECTION?

There are some good articles that will get you started!

How to mount inexpensive bullet cameras!

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=54

How to run wires from an attic with drywall walls.

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=48

Here is how to fix your video source problems!

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=41

How to trouble shoot camera problems!

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_articles.php?cid=2

Happy Reading!!

Thanks Scorpion for all your words of wisdom.I am an electrician so i have the concept of fishing wires and wiring,i just know nothing about cctv.What is a good facial recognition bullet camera that would fit into my budget?Four of the cams are for my front door,driveway,and both side entry gates.The other 3 are just coverage area cams that will each view an area of the backyard around 30-40'.

For facial recognition you will need two cameras on the area.

One that is wide angle so that you can see everything, and then the other camera to have a super zoom lens.

The facial recognition camera has to be like the 6 O clock news.

Head, and shoulders only!

Think of a super market parking lot. The wide angle can show you where a person is walking from car to car checking them out to see if they are locked. When he steps in front of the zoom camera, then BAM, you have his face!

The best bet is to buy a camera that is vari focal from 5mm - 50mm (or higher). I am not saying this is the camera for you, as I am only posting it for reference.

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-598LA50_security_camera.html

Take the IR distance and only use half of that distance. The posted one is rated at 120 feet. This would be good for an area that is about 60 feet from your house that you want to watch.

IR is just like a flashlight. It can go 25 feet, but if you stand at 25 feet from a flashlight you cannot make out any details as the light is to dim. If you stand 3 feet from a flashlight then your facial features get washed out from being to bright.

Give me a google map of your house, and I can tell you better about your cams.

What do you think?

So what is the cost of a camera like the one you posted? I tried pm'ing you my address under google maps,but i can't send pm's yet.Do you have an e-mail address that i scan scan and send my drawing to?