CCTVINSTALLER

Controlling geovision systems

I want to give my customer the ability to control the geovision system from the front of the store. The till is about 50 feet from the office where i've installed the geo system. Would it be possible to just run a stranded alarm cable and give him a keyboard at the front? Also is it ok to run a 50ft vga cable to the system without loosing picture quality? What are my options? Thanks for your support in advance guys, i know most of you probably getting ready for your christmas holidays, not down here probably gonna end up working on christmas day!

Actully they make a VGA to BNC adaptor and that would let you make it a normal cable run. DB15 cable. That would probley be the simple and cheaper way. The other way is getting a DB-15 cable to go that distance but it would most likely very expensive to get one cut for that distance.

The max cable length for DB-15.

I wouldnt do the converter, I have seen this and there was picture loss, you can get long VGA cables, but once again you will see loss, but not on the remote screen, on the DVR.

I have only recently seen KVM over I.P. I was very suprised to see that this actually works very well and the loss is minimal (I thought it would be worse)

If he is not using the DVR remote very often then you could simply use a terminal connection (bit slower but easy to do).

We have used monitor cables up to 25 metres long, combine this with a good wireless keyboard & mouse & it should keep your customer happy.

I think this is the biggest problem with geovision systems, it simply is not practical to install in retail environment. I would love to use features like object counter, motion pop-up, POS etc but our customers need to be able to control the system, have a call monitor, and all that. Well im not saying its impossible, just means testing out new technology and living with months of phone support until you get it right! Anyway i managed to connect a second monitor up, but with that option i can't use directdraw overlyay so i cant have full screen. what other options do you have with geo systems?.

Apart from using KVM over IP, what other technology is out there? Is there such think as a VGA booster, to boost the video signal. One more question if i used the real time dsp card, could i run the phono cable direct to a monitor without receiving picture loss? i guess it would be like a normal cctv monitor output then?

Baywatch, i tried a wireless keyboard, but it didn't work, i think the distance between the office and till is too far apart, i was using one of the logitech keyboards around £100, the receiver was at the system end, so do i need to run it closer to the till?

Apart from using KVM over IP, what other technology is out there? Is there such think as a VGA booster, to boost the video signal. One more question if i used the real time dsp card, could i run the phono cable direct to a monitor without receiving picture loss? i guess it would be like a normal cctv monitor output then?

Baywatch, i tried a wireless keyboard, but it didn't work, i think the distance between the office and till is too far apart, i was using one of the logitech keyboards around £100, the receiver was at the system end, so do i need to run it closer to the till? Thanks for your feedback

Hi

We sometimes use a device called a VGA Cat5 extender. I have attached the specs below (in blue).

You can have up to 2 monitors each end.

There is a similar product that will also extend the kbd & mouse down the same cable, but I need to ask my IT guy about it.

Sometimes we've extended the kbd & mouse cables to put the wireless receiver nearer to the desired position.

We have found that some of the cheaper units outperform the dearer ones, again I need to speak to my IT guy.

VGA CAT5 Extenders (approx £65.00 without sound)

These boxes allow you to send video or video and audio data along a CAT5 cable to a pair of monitors up to 150m away. This makes them ideal for use in shop displays, exhibitions or information points where access to a computer is not required or is a security problem.

Works up to 150m away

4 position distance equaliser for optimum signal

Supports resolutions up to 1024x768

Use standard CAT5/5e/6 unshielded cable as the data link

Available with or without mono audio facility

Standard 15way Hi-D male input and 2x 15way Hi-D female outputs

The audio version uses 3.5mm sockets for input and outputs

RJ45 sockets for the CAT5 cable