hey i'm still pretty new to posting on the forums but have used it quite a bit for work and to futher knowledge for myself. you guys are awesome thax for everything this forum does. anyway. i am a manager for a med. sized company and i am in charge of all the integrated stuff. i have been reading a bit about IP and Megapixel cameras and from what i've seen they seem alot better than analog cameras. my ? is i want to get the company bring in a system for me to play with and possible have sales dept. start to sale them. but not sure what to get. i know a camera would be a nice start.lol but what kind of DVR or recording device shoulsd i use. we use GE, Clinton products as well as use ADI as our main distributors. so anyone have an idea of where to start or look. thax in advance for the help.

Hi Randy,

If you are using GE and Clinton, a key challenge will be getting IP/megapixel cameras to work with your existing DVRs. I think GE has some limited support for their own cameras on some of their DVR lines. I would check with GE.

IP/megapixel can be better than analog but it is often significantly more expensive. If you are just starting off, try ACTi (http://www.acti.com). They have very inexpensive cameras (1.3 megapixel box cameras at $355) that work well. ACTi provides free NVR software so you can get a full test going for very cheap.

Ultimately, you may want to use enterprise class NVR software or different cameras, but this might be a good start.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

Best,

John

thanx i talked to our GE rep and he is gonna send me 1 of their 3megapixel day night cameras so it should be cool. i'll post pics after i've got it. i was also looking at avigilon their stuff looks really good.

Yes, plus it seems they only have that one form factor, no domes, etc.

If you are stuck with GE DVRs, I guess you are locked in.

For new deployments, you should seriously consider going to non-GE products. GE is way behind the curve in IP/megapixel.

oh no i'm not stuck with GE. but if they wanna give me a free camera to play with i'll take it. lol i'm really interested in avigilon

i believe so i just started to talk to their sales rep for hawaii and the prices seem a little high but i am gonna order a rapid response kit from them and see how it is.

Hi !

You can keep Your Analog Cams Platform & IP Camers platform separete !!

Same practice is adopted here also...since IP cameras are new trend here we can eazily done that!!!

In this case you donot have to stuck and let any manufacturer rule you!!!

IP is open platform systems what i belive !! Some Good software available in the market supports all major brands of IP cameras and there model!! such as Milestone , NUUO etc...

Great about AXIS is they have Open API...so you can develop your own sofware also

Regards,

Kalpesh

India

Hi !

You can keep Your Analog Cams Platform & IP Camers platform separete !!

Same practice is adopted here also...since IP cameras are new trend here we can eazily done that!!!

In this case you donot have to stuck and let any manufacturer rule you!!!

IP is open platform systems what i belive !! Some Good software available in the market supports all major brands of IP cameras and there model!! such as Milestone , NUUO etc...

Great about AXIS is they have Open API...so you can develop your own sofware also

Regards,

Kalpesh

India

IP is so far from open it's scary. Interoperability between manufacturers is non-existent and all it takes is one firmware change and your camera no longer works with the software.

There are no standards for transmission of IP video. And you're going to ask "Well we're all using MPEG-4/MJPEG/Whatever..." and that means nothing. There are so many MPEG-4 variants that it doesn't begin to allow one decoder to handle all of them.

There is a right time and place for IP but I'd be so much happier with the companies if they would just let me shoot all of their marketing departments.

Thank Good !!

You saved me Thomos!!

I m not in marketing dept...

M pure Techy guy.....

& what i mentioned was not a sales talk................

true !! there is no standered ( i.e. may called open std. ) in IP

They comes with web browser facility hence one can surf it like a normal web page!!!

i never insist on any product!! thats onces choice altogether!! depenging upon Budget , technology etc...

Kalpesh

India

There is a right time and place for IP but I'd be so much happier with the companies if they would just let me shoot all of their marketing departments

i totally agree we'll just have to see i have a rapid deployment kit with 2 cameras coming from avigilon and a day night megapixel cam from GE coming to me soon. great to work for a company that alot of business with GE i get free stuff from time to time. lol and avigilon giving me 50% off for demo kit.

Gr8

Locky One!!

We havn't get such service from GE here!!

We have few models of axis for imparting demo ...that we share with our SIs ......thats free!!! ha ha ha!!!!

Regards,

Kalpesh Nikumbh

India