brianoftheforum

channel frequency modulators to multiple tvs

Ok so i understand that a channel modulator allow you to select a specific tv channel or catv channel and place a signal onto this frequency.

So If i take the output signal from say my 4 camera dvr and run that into the modulator and then place the output into a splitter with the cable tv input in the second input connection - and then run the output of the splitter into an amped splitter that feeds 3 different tvs.

I should then see my dvr output on the specified cable tv channel of the modulator on all the tvs?

If this is correct, is there any particular recomended modulator?

i was looking at the CE labs high performance 125 modulator.

thanks for your input

The way I read your post that sounds right. What splitter are you going to use? All the splitters I have seen with 2 inputs have amps built in.

Ok so yesterday i recieved the following -

ChannelPlus NF-471 Notch Filter, Blocks CATV 75-80

Channel Plus 2-Way Splitter/Combiner

Frequency Agile Mono Modulator, 1 Channel

all bought from smarthome -

So my current setup is -

Cable TV from TWC comes in and goes to a splitter - from this one output goes to cable modem and the other goes to a residential amplifier which then outputs to 5 HD cable boxes in the house.

So i tried the following -

Hooked a camera up to the input of the modulator - took the output of the modulator to the above splitter/combiner on input 1 -

The second input into the splitter/combiner came from the main TWC line into teh property which was attatched to the above notch filter and then fed the 2nd splitter input.

The output went into my origonal 1 in 2 out splitter.

This did nothing for me - didnt block any of the digital cable channels - from 75-80 on any of my tvs.

So I then hooked everything back up as it was and this time i placed the combiner between the first splitter and the amp - thus bypassing the output of my modem.

Again nothing.

Am i doing something wrong did i buy crappy goods? any help apreciated who has got this working before with a simalar setup

thanks

in order for your set up to work you have to bypass the digital boxes in simple terms the cable/HD boxes work from specific channel usally 2 or 3 then the channel selection is controlled from within the digital box out board controller, your modulators will be on the analog side so either you switch between the digital and standard basic cable channel by hard wire two inputs into your boxes or one dedicated to your tv (if they have two inputs) the motorola HD DVR boxes out here have that option or if you have a a tv set that has dual tuners (such as the older sony wega lcds have) then you can split screens one for security view at the press of a button or whenever you choose to view etc. Or you can switch bettween the digital box and control the tv with its own remote and by pass the box but that is a pain, There are work arounds with more money such as using the digital set ups from Channel Vision but they are pricey for a multi box set up calling for purchase of several units. I have in the past on new work run two sets of cable to each set one for the digital service and one for the security mods and basic channel lineup, you also have to check your freq as some of the channels can overlap into the digital range and cause interference with your wider HD setups as the cable cos are using more and more info for the lines now days... it used to be simple now modulating takes more effort and design consideration to inject into the line but can be done.

yeah i kinda finnally realiazised that after all the work - misread what the modulators did.

so rather than worry about carrying the analogue signal through as a modulated tv channel it will be easier to take my dvr out into a d/a and send each signal to analogue video in on each home theatre reciever.

Thus cameras will be accessible on AV1 on each TV.

That is what I normally do. A lot easier to implement. Find a used Video Distributiion Amplifier and just run another video cable to each TV set you would like to view the DVR from. Find an adapter, and put the cable into the Yellow RCA jack (video input). When you will be watching TV on regular channels, use the remote control to flash to "AV1" or "AV2", where you have the DVR input. Most the VDA's I find have 4 to 6 video outputs, more than I have ever needed.