alee

General storage/motion trigger question

Does anybody know of anywhere I can get estimates of how often motion triggers happen in given environments? The cameras will be in K-12 schools, set to record on movement. I apologize for the vagueness of the question, we are trying to figure out how big the drives will have to be to keep at least 14 days of video and we have no idea what percent of the time the data will be recorded.

Thanks

It all depends on the type of compression that your DVR or time laps recorder is using, and the recording resolution and speed. Add this info to your post, and you will reap results. You can also check security sites and look for a calculator that will tell you what size drive you will need. You fill in the blanks, and it will calculate drive size. I would think a 500 Gig drive woulld cover it, and then some.

Does anybody know of anywhere I can get estimates of how often motion triggers happen in given environments? The cameras will be in K-12 schools, set to record on movement. I apologize for the vagueness of the question, we are trying to figure out how big the drives will have to be to keep at least 14 days of video and we have no idea what percent of the time the data will be recorded.

Thanks

For a school, usual working hours are between 6 am to 6 pm. I would assume between 80 to 100% motion depending on where the camera is. It will be overkill but better to err on the side of caution.

In usual school setting, indoor cameras will capture about 9 hours of motion per day, and outdoor about 11 hours; so I would say about 12 hours of recording per day.

As far as storage capacity is concerned, usual 16ch DVR with MPEG4 compression would record about 1.7GB per hour in standard setting.

So in order to store 12 hours of recording per day, it would need 20.4GB.

(1.7GB x 12 hour = 20.4GB)

And for 14 days of recording it would be about 286GB.

(20.4GB x 14 days = 285.6GB)

Also keep in mind that there is only 2~5 hours of recording during Sat & Sun.

That is what I was looking for. Sounds like you must work for a school.

Thanks,

Alee