quench

PTZ basics, help needed.

I have searched but I cannot find the most basic info, can the speed dome PTZ function be controlled with the computer keyboard via the standard video cable, or do I have to use the RS485 to a control pad??

I have a Panasonic WV-CS850 dome camera connected with coaxial to GV-800-16 dvr card, version 7.05 software, dedicated Pentium 4 PC, XPSP2.

I don't know if I have overlooked something but I cannot utilize the PTZ function or the motion detector.

You will need another wire running out to the camera for RS485 and IO controls to function.

Alternatively you can get RS485 control through an "up the coax" system like coaxitron.

Your DVR/NVR will need to support RS232 or RS485.

You would control the dome with an on screen joystick and your normal mouse. Optionally Geovision and many others sell dedicated CCTV keyboards with joysticks to operate PTZ functions.

can the speed dome PTZ function be controlled with the computer keyboard via the standard video cable, or do I have to use the RS485 to a control pad??

Generally, you cannot control a PTZ with a computer keyboard.

You will need to run RS485 cable from the camera to the DVR. Then you would be able to control the PTZ through on-screen-controller pad using your mouse.

Thanks for the replies.

You will need to run RS485 cable from the camera to the DVR. Then you would be able to control the PTZ through on-screen-controller pad using your mouse.

I like that setup, then I don't need the physical control pad. The Geovision GV800 has no RS485 connector, only the bayonet connectors, the camera has RS485, so where would the cable plug into the PC? Also, is this cable needed to use the motion detection built into the camera?

RS232 port

If you add a GVNETIO you can use the cameras motion detector but that would be another pair of wires and not much point.

That's right; RS232 port, aka comport. You would need RS232-485 converter, though.

Also, is this cable needed to use the motion detection built into the camera?

The built-in motion detector of this camera seems to be the kind you would need is to access your PTZ's menu setting to activate. All it does would be showing motion notification on-screen whenever it detects one. I would just ignore it and use motion detection recording the DVR offers instead. That's probably why CollinR said there wasn't much point doing it...I think?

I am making the assumption that the intergated motion detector would provide contact closure like most PIR motions. As such you would need to bring those outputs back to the DVR and patch them to an available input. The GVNETIO is a combination RS232>RS485 converter with IIRC 4 digital IO. This would allow for 4 of these cameras and 4 buzzers/strobes to make people look at them.

The motion is pointless as you mentioned you have video motion detection but on a PTZ depending on how it is made it could be a very valuable feature. With 4 PIRs in the dome you can have it track based on the PIRs which is better then scanning (MD doesn't work) or stationary (not on target).

In the Camera Operator's Manual the built in motion detector has on/off, it doesn't say what area is covered and it doesn't have auto tracking. Both your input has helped clarify a misunderstanding I had that my camera had auto tracking. So basically this camera sits there pointed in one direction unless I map a area for it to patrol or use the manual PTZ controller or on screen display.

The GV800 DVR card has the option for up to 16 cameras, will the RS232>RS485 converter limit this?

The built in motion detection does require the PTZ's menu setting to activate it.

Am I correct that any function in the RS485 menu is only available if that cable is connected, such as PTZ, self cleaning, mapping?

My assumption that all dome PTZ's had auto tracking was a silly error, I actually bought 6 of these cameras at a government auction, although they were cheap and 3 are brand new, I jumped in thinking I could cover my residence and track intruders.

Edited by Guest

You should keep in mind that you will have to connect some type of controller to each PTZ to set it up for aim, zoom and any tours or presets you want. Then, if the power is removed from any of them, they will probably default back to a factory "park" position, so you will have to re-aim them back to where you want them and/or restart the tour.

The GV800 DVR card has the option for up to 16 cameras, will the RS232>RS485 converter limit this?

No. Use of RS232-485 converter does not limit the DVR's input number in any way.

Am I correct that any function in the RS485 menu is only available if that cable is connected, such as PTZ, self cleaning, mapping?

Yes, you are correct. I am not sure what self cleaning or mapping is, but without RS485 cable connected, you will not even be able to access the menu setting.

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, mapping is probably presets or tours as survtech described.

Self cleaning is for the electrical contacts inside the dome.

The RS232>RS485 converters I have researched appear to single connections, are there multiple connectors to allow for more cameras?

You wire the data bus in parallel, you can hang 16 cameras off those 2 terminals but I suggest a cheap terminal block to make it easier.

You wire the data bus in parallel, you can hang 16 cameras off those 2 terminals but I suggest a cheap terminal block to make it easier.

I not sure I understand what that means. Do I take the 4 RS485 wires from each camera and combine the same colour to a terminal, so I end up with all the red to one terminal, all the green to another, etc?

I not sure I understand what that means. Do I take the 4 RS485 wires from each camera and combine the same colour to a terminal, so I end up with all the red to one terminal, all the green to another, etc?

It's a series of screw down terminals that all share a set of connectors. You'll take one wire and connect it to one series of screw downs. Then do the same for the other one. Now pretend the next set of screw downs is a splice and wire the PTZ to it. Then repeat for the next set of screw downs.

Do I take the 4 RS485 wires from each camera and combine the same colour to a terminal, so I end up with all the red to one terminal, all the green to another, etc?

Yes, that is the idea. To do this easy, use a terminal block as what Thomas and CollinR said.

Hi zmxtech, is the software for use with the GV software or as a separate program?

I have been waiting for the RS485>RS232 to be delivered, finally came today. It has a terminal block that plugs into the RS485 side.

The camera has 4 wires going to a RJ45 connector - Data Transmition red & orange, Data Reception yellow & green.

The terminal markings on the RS485 are D+/A, D-/B, GND & +5V~12V.

Which wire from the camera connects to where onto the terminal?

OK, I've tried every logical configuration for the wires and still no response from the onscreen PTZ control. Are the converters reliable? The one I have is a Sintech485C. There was no menu when I plugged in the RS232>RS485 with the various configurations. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here?

Like previous members said:

get the GV-Net IO card.

But how do you connect the PTZ Domes to the Computer, use Zmxtechs advice and get the converter. No need to solder.

Remember to use Cat5e to run the cabling, its the best way to do it. And link it up between the converter and your camera.

Since your card is a GV800, i know for sure it is not a good idea to use all the channels perhaps 4-6 max, not even 8 because the frames become less useable and and the fps is way too low let alone approaching 16 channels.

The best way is to upgrade to gv1240 for 8 channels or for 16 channels to get the gv1480.

Also the motion tracking, if (I hope your GV800 card doesn't use a dongle or is a fake GV card) you can upgrade to Geovision software 8+ (or 7.5) and there are some functions which allow object tracking for autonomous tracking of objects.

Another function is to automatically select and crop human faces/heads and organise them in a database.

With alternative means of controlling the PTZ, each PTZ has a several 'languages' built in which allows it to follow sets of instructions. I believe Geovision software has most languages for the contemporary domes, unless your dome is a fossil, I believe GV software can handle it. But also you don;t need to buy the fancy keyboard from GV but rather get a cheap one off the net or use Zmx's software (I haven't tested it yet).

Hope this helps,

cheers

Joey

hi,

first >

that diagram has the IO around the wrong way IDIOTS !

you can check the data with a LED and 560 OHM resistor -it will flash with data bursts from your commands.

A multimeter will show a small voltage -like 5v if you have the correct pair.

I just tested the geovision [1120]with a pana 850 PTZ and it works fine -tho the panning increments are too small to be of use >do your self a favour and get a real ptz joystick >my programs not too bad but its only for setup and testing >

z

With the yellow wired to D-/B and green to D+/A, I saw the menu display for a few seconds but cannot make it reappear. I figure these wires send the info to the camera. I am reading the diagram as data reception is for the camera / output from the converter.