swade

Wireless networking question

I need to install wireless IP cameras on a car lot lot that is about 600ft by 400ft. Looking at some IP cameras by Vivotek (IP 7132 or 7139) Anyway because of the distance issue, does anyone know how i can ensure decent reception from a wireless router. This is all new to me, I'm an old school hardwire man, cat5 all the way, but that is not an option here. Need help! Can I use two routers to transmit this distance ??

how many cams ?

I would think its a bad idea because of the concrete blocking the signal everywhere even if you use some high gain antennas on the router and cameras.

i would test the area out first with 1 camera [for a week] the cars moving about will also do funky things to the signal.

z

I need to install wireless IP cameras on a car lot lot that is about 600ft by 400ft. Looking at some IP cameras by Vivotek (IP 7132 or 7139) Anyway because of the distance issue, does anyone know how i can ensure decent reception from a wireless router. This is all new to me, I'm an old school hardwire man, cat5 all the way, but that is not an option here. Need help! Can I use two routers to transmit this distance ??

I'd suggest looking into wireless repeaters to extend the wifi range for your ip camera application. Remember with wireless antennas that they need to be on both the sending and receiving end for proper communication. If you want to get all crazy you can set up a mesh network involving multiple wireless routers. Look up "Wireless Mesh Topology" in a search engine.

[security Hombre]

Go to http://www.ubnt.com or search Google for NanoStation2.

Cheap, great, easy to set up devices.

Just use 1 or 2 wireless repeaters or wireless routers in repeater mode. There are many great solutions out there that are easy to use. The only thing I would recommend checking from experience is that they have a removable anttena. This is because you need to put the anttena up as high as possible to maximize distance, so its a good idea to extend the length a few feet.

I was thinking underground car park for some reason :-/

you will need the WIFI units in bridge mode. the camera hooked into the AP.

600foot away you are better off with high gain antennas pointing at each other.

-one on the camera side [say 12db+ directional yagi/patch etc]

-and a high gain omni at the AP /DVR end. [if you are using multiple cameras]

Repeaters wont be too flash with IP video -you want the least amount of "hops" in the system. and the cost doubles.

z