scorpion

Tropical Storm Fay

August 20th Wed

As a hurricane this is almost a "joke" to us Floridians.

The joke is over. We have had two feet of rain in Palm Bay, and we are expected to have another foot of rain dropped on our heads from Wed night to Thursday sometime.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/orl-tropical-storm-fay-update-082008-7am,0,7478008.story

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

http://www.wesh.com/index.html

http://www.local6.com/index.html

http://www.wftv.com/index.html

The National Guard is now roaming around, and reverse nine one one has requested that we not leave our homes, and travel around to allow emergency vehicle to get around. I need to leave Thursday morning to go to Miami. I wonder if they will allow me to get on to I95??

5000 people in Palm Bay, and 10,000 people in Brevard County are without power. I am in a lucky "pocket" where I have electricity, and somehow the Cable/Voip/Internet is still running.

As of 5pm the water no longer flows from our facets! Not even a trickle!

My wife always pokes fun of me as I like to always, and I mean always like to keep about 10 cases of bottled water on hand. Now that we are in this predicament I have a feeling that my wife may come over to the "darkside", and support me in my "wierd facination of storing things for a storm". We cannot cook without water, and we cannot use the toilets.

I did not do the usual storm trick of filling up the bathtub with water for emergency uses.

I do not think there is a problem with the water system per se, but I think the sewer system is overwelmed, and they have shut off the water to keep waste water from going in to an over whelmed sewer system.

There are places around here where they believe that the waster water has flowed from the sewer systems, and is now mixing witht the rain water.

They have asked that children not play in the makeshift ponds / lakes and that they should wash off just in case. Now that the water is turned off that will be more of a challenge. Hopefully no kids will suffer from "dirty water issues".

As of now most of you have heard about the 50 houses / mobile homes / manufactured homes that have been damaged. 9 houses are inhabitable.

This was from a tornado that touched down.

We will be counting our blessing as our home is fine. No roof leaks, no fallen trees on to the rooftop, and no street flooding pouring in to the inside of our homes.

The cable company refused this morning to do a mid span cable replacement. This is where the cable connects on the wire, and not at a telephone pole, and then the wire has to travel to a telephone pole, and then travel down the pole to an underground pipe to a night club.

I installed 3 large Plasma TVs and the only Hi Def channel that does not come in is the ESPN 1329, and the ESPN Channel 1330. All of the other hi def channels come in. The cable to the building is so old, and none of the cable techs want to change it. I cannot say I blame them as I did that kind of work years ago, and this one is not going to be fun in fair weather let alone in 40 mile an hour winds with 60 gusts!!!! LOL!!!

I was going to do it, but they would not let me borrow their ladder.

I hope the storm picks up speed, and move on out of here soon.

The odd thing was that all of the red spots on the radar were in front of the storm as it approached so we got hammered. Now that the storm is slightly north of me all of the red on the radar is over my head!!!!

Strange!!

Edited by Guest

Oh man, Good Luck Buddy. Yeah looks crazy. Glad to hear you aren't personally having the flooding we are all seeing on TV.

Does this mean the drought is over?

I love how the news cameras will video the flooded areas, and mobile home parks, or parking lots with cars up to the windows with water.

If you did not know better you would think all 60 miles north to south of Brevard County was under two feet of water!

I almost fell out of my chair. The video did not match the news anchor comments. They were talking about the flooding, and the video was of an obcene amount of murky water, and I am thinking where is this at?!?!

Then the camera man pulls back on the lens, and it was the ocean surf where it is only about 4 to 8 inches high, and the water comes in, and out with the waves!

At first the video looked liked the mississippi river running through Brevard County then the camera man pulls back and it just surf water at the beach! Whew!

We have a lot of canals along side of our roadsides.

A National Guard driver pulled his HUMVEE off to the side of the road, and found the canal under all of the water the hard way. I cannot says as I blame his accident. The canal was hidden by flooded water. Us locals know where to park, but the tow truck driver was having a good laugh pulling out a military vehicle that was submerged!

It turns out that the water was only turned off in a couple of streets to include ours as a water main broke around the other side of our block.

Last night the city dropped off a box of water. It was unusual because the water bottles had the City Of Palm Bay Label on them! I thought that was a touch of class! And they delivered a case door to door!

I have to say I was impressed.

I felt for the city worker who had to go house to house in the hard rain though!

Hey Scorpion, I thought those red spots were always above your head(as in horns) and they have nothing to do with the storm.

Today I go back to Miami at 5 in the morning to finish up, and on the way home at 3:30 I run in to another squall from the storm Fay!!

When will this thing go away???!!! LOL!

Maybe Fay likes Scorp, and I can hit a ball with a barn, oops that was a barn with a ball

You should have come down Cox road in cocoa. It was 80% under water. Let me tell you, it was not fun trying to get to work.

This one house that was close to 520, had to build a water burm around the front of the house, because the ditch on the other side of the road was over flowing and flowing down into their home.

There is a plumbing shop accross the road, it was "built up" 3 feet and still had water go inside its doors.

What a mess!

It will be interesting to see how New Orleans fairs this time around with Gustav!

I wish everyone who had damage the best of wishes, and I give my best of wishes to New Orleans or whereever it strikes!