matm

AVTech 787D Features

Hi there,

This is my first post, so I apologise if I'm covering old ground.

I recently purchased an AVTech 787D and have a few little things I wanted to have clarified.

1. I can set it to use Frame or CIF, although I can't find anywhere which says which is the better quality

2. I see you can configure it to fixed IPS or grouped - My understanding is that if I use fixed, it divides the IPS amongst the channels regardless of whether or not they are in use, where as grouped means that they are in chunks of four and are distributed based on channels in use - Is that correct?

3. What's the dwell duration?

4. Is interlace or de-interlace the way to go?

5. The alarm IO port on the back looks to be similar to a parallel port - Does anyone have any resources that would be handy that go over the principal of hooking up an alarm system to a DVR?

Thanks.

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

Enjoy you 787!

1. It is a series of trade offs. If you have a small size hard drive then you may want to use CIF to have a longer time frame of storage. If you have a large HDD and storage time is not of the essence then use the Frame.

2. IPS or Grouped. If you have two important cameras then put the first one on camera one, and the second important camera on to channel five. This will allow channel one to get the most ips in that group, and the other camera to get the most ips in the second group (1-4) (5-8) (9-12) (13-16).

Where this makes the difference are cameras that are outside. Front yard cams, or parking lot cams get a lot of motion activity where backyard, or courtyard, or slow moving aisle do not get a lot of motion.

3. I am not sure what you are refering to, but I believe that you are asking where it will show you one camera at a time in sequence. The dwell time is the time that is "sits" on a camera before it shows the next one. The shorter the dwell time the faster the cameras run through. The larger the dwell time the longer it takes to see each camera, and the longer it takes to go through all of the cameras and get back to the one that you do want to see. There is a trade off that have to find. If it is to fast then you miss details as it scans through the cameras, and if you have to much dwell then activity can be missed on the unseen cameras.

4. This is a decision only you can make. Try both ways. Which ever looks good for you is the one to go with. This will depend on the cameras that you have hooked up, and what kind of TV / Plasma / LCD you have hooked up.

5. This is not a Parallel port (external I/O). You can have more fun playing with the Disk Array port.

No one has reported any hacking features that I am aware of.

You will have to be more specific about hooking alarm systems to the DVR.

I am not sure what you have in mind.

Is security of the essence? Do you have a million dollars in cash under your bed?

Do you need to avoid false alarms with your monitoring company?

Motion detection triggers all the time, and this will put an alarm signal out. If you hook this up to an alarm panel that is monitored then the alarm company is going to get tired of the constant alerts.

For none threat situations, but you want a visual notification then hook up a strobe light. When motion is triggered then the strobe goes off, and then you are alerted to look at the monitor.

If you use motion detectors to trigger the camera channel then the monitor should show that camera when triggered.

If the area is a controlled area meaning indoors with locked doors, or electronic access then you can hook the alarm output of the DVR to a phone dialer that has a built in digital voice recorder. You record to the dialer such as

"There is a break in at 123 ABC street anywhere contact me by cellular at (123) 456 7899"

Have the dialer call several numbers such as your home number, your cell number, and a trusted business partner, or a trusted friend, and have it call a store manager, or a wife's cell phone.

Now you can determine if the police needs to be called as you can use the internet to view the cameras to see if it is a false trigger!

What do you think?

Did I answer most of your questions?

You sure did - That's an awesome response. Thank you.

Regarding the alarm stuff, I have an alarm system that does call me when it triggers, so what I was looking to do was to have some sort of channel of communication between the alarm system and the DVR I guess.

It's just so that I can trap the alarm signal from the DVR so that it will record an alarm event to the DVR and flag that on the recording so it will be easier to locate and download. I'm just not sure what physical cable interface I would need to connect the I/O port on the DVR to my alarm system. Is there a standard?

Thanks again for your help.

PIN 1. GND

GROUND

PIN 2. ~ PIN 9. ALARM INPUT

To connect wire from ALARM INPUT ( PIN 2 -- 9 ) to

GND ( PIN 1 ) connector,

DMR will start recording and buzzer will be on.

When Menu/ Camera/ Alarm is set up to “Lowâ€

Got it, thanks.

The DVR was ex-floor stock so I had little bits and pieces everywhere.