dmor

Remote View Host ????

Okay, where I have access to a router to open at least the 4550 & 5550 ports, I have no problems getting the DmMultiview working.

My question is, if you were at a location where they had wireless with the above ports blocked, is there a service or host that you can log onto were you can do the remote view thing without having to worry about port forwarding/unblocking??

Any workaround to this problem would be very much appreciated.

regards

Okay, where I have access to a router to open at least the 4550 & 5550 ports, I have no problems getting the DmMultiview working.

My question is, if you were at a location where they had wireless with the above ports blocked, is there a service or host that you can log onto were you can do the remote view thing without having to worry about port forwarding/unblocking??

Any workaround to this problem would be very much appreciated.

regards

Generally with port forwarding you're only referring to incoming traffic. So in theory, if it's set up correctly it should work anywhere. If however the above place filters those ports, then there is a limited amount you can do.

Yes, I am referring to places that filter the mentioned ports.

From your reply, this is bad news for anyone that wants to remotely monitor their system and happen to be with their laptop in a hotel or at a hot spot somewhere on the road.

I was hoping that there would be (even if is a paid host service) but something out there that once you are on the internet that you can go to and remotely view your system in some form or fashion.

Yes, I am referring to places that filter the mentioned ports.

From your reply, this is bad news for anyone that wants to remotely monitor their system and happen to be with their laptop in a hotel or at a hot spot somewhere on the road.

I was hoping that there would be (even if is a paid host service) but something out there that once you are on the internet that you can go to and remotely view your system in some form or fashion.

Port filtering is generally done for a reason. It's their network, if they don't want you using those ports, you don't use them. You're a guest on the network, understand and obey the restrictions placed on you.

Thomas,

Again thanks for the reply. I am by no means trying to hack into a network. I am not that smart. As a mater of fact this is my first surveillance system and it is basically one that I have outdoors to monitor my babies (dogs).

Sometimes after lunch when the weather is not too hot we let them out in a fenced area and they stay there.

Since me and my wife both are not there at such times we thought it would be wonderful to be able to remotely watch them (make sure they are okay).

Last night I got the webcam at home configured where it works on the monitoring PC. The wife's laptop running WiFi of the same router was able to use DmMultiview without any problems.

Today at work, I could not get the connection with Mutiview and I know the necessary ports are blocked here. I have talked to the IT guy and it will be fixed no issues here.

However, I would like to be able to use the laptop, as in cases when we visit relatives for a day where we can use their internet service without having to go through all the port forwarding unlocking business. And that is where I thought that there might be a host as there are many for photos, but one that would be a substitute for the Geo remote viewer that I (even if I have to pay for) could log onto and remotely watch my kids.

I again was not asking for a hack or a trick, nor was I intending on intruding on anything. Just looking for a solution to something I find very limiting & restrictive when it can be of much use and benefit to us.

regards

This might be a little overkill & possibly backwards thinking but...

If you use logmein.com (a vpn type service) that works pretty much everywhere.

Thomas,

Again thanks for the reply. I am by no means trying to hack into a network. I am not that smart. As a mater of fact this is my first surveillance system and it is basically one that I have outdoors to monitor my babies (dogs).

Sometimes after lunch when the weather is not too hot we let them out in a fenced area and they stay there.

Since me and my wife both are not there at such times we thought it would be wonderful to be able to remotely watch them (make sure they are okay).

Last night I got the webcam at home configured where it works on the monitoring PC. The wife's laptop running WiFi of the same router was able to use DmMultiview without any problems.

Today at work, I could not get the connection with Mutiview and I know the necessary ports are blocked here. I have talked to the IT guy and it will be fixed no issues here.

However, I would like to be able to use the laptop, as in cases when we visit relatives for a day where we can use their internet service without having to go through all the port forwarding unlocking business. And that is where I thought that there might be a host as there are many for photos, but one that would be a substitute for the Geo remote viewer that I (even if I have to pay for) could log onto and remotely watch my kids.

I again was not asking for a hack or a trick, nor was I intending on intruding on anything. Just looking for a solution to something I find very limiting & restrictive when it can be of much use and benefit to us.

regards

It sounds like your home end make not be configured correctly. If the Wi-Fi is from the same LAN that your DVR is on, then no port forwarding would be used.

If you can see it from a remote, off site location then it's set up correctly. If so, my earlier statement applies. If you can't see it at any off site location....then your home is configured wrong.

Maybe I need to break down what I have done in an effort to get more specific help. I just have the feeling that I am not even close to having this setup properly.

I have a Vista PC with Geovision GV-800 installed and running 2 cameras. The GV system software comes on and I can monitor, view the log and do the little I have learned so far without any issues.

Now I want to be able to view live video using A web browser so my understanding is that webcam server has to be configured & started then I could use Multiview on my pc or elsewere to log on using my IP address and my login name and pw. So I set it up according to the manual starting on p.243. Now with the main system on I start the webcam server, and then tried to start Multiview and it would not connect untill I oppened/unblocked the 4550 & 5550 ports on my router. Now all this is happening on the Main PC so now Main GV system is on with 2 live cam views, Multiview console is on (smaller though) with same live views. Really cool.

Next to me my wife with her laptop, I install Multiview (stand alone)and she runs the program, types my IP, name and pw and viola... Multiview is working as a stand alone and she can see both cam views live.

Same laptop at my other house where I have a wireless cable modem router, we try to run multiview with no luck. I have not attempted to open or port forward the 4550 & 5550 yet and I know using (canuseeme.org) that both ports are blocked.

What I do not understand is that I have been for some time now enjoying watching other live cams and feeds whether it is at home work relatives location, it did not matter. You go to a site, sometimes you make use of an IP address sometimes not, some places the login is very similar to Multiview, others the cam view is there, but they all worked and unblocking ports have never been an issue or changing anything for that matter. This is what I want to be able to do with my camera views, same simple thing others are doing that I can access anywhere there is a connection.

Could someone point me in the right direction in case I am doing it all wrong or maybe not using the right software. If you think that I am set up incorrectly, then is there a simple guide to doing it the right way. The manual is for the experienced (definitely more than I). I am willing to try things one at a time. Just need some help.

Maybe I need to break down what I have done in an effort to get more specific help. I just have the feeling that I am not even close to having this setup properly.

I have a Vista PC with Geovision GV-800 installed and running 2 cameras. The GV system software comes on and I can monitor, view the log and do the little I have learned so far without any issues.

Now I want to be able to view live video using A web browser so my understanding is that webcam server has to be configured & started then I could use Multiview on my pc or elsewere to log on using my IP address and my login name and pw. So I set it up according to the manual starting on p.243. Now with the main system on I start the webcam server, and then tried to start Multiview and it would not connect untill I oppened/unblocked the 4550 & 5550 ports on my router. Now all this is happening on the Main PC so now Main GV system is on with 2 live cam views, Multiview console is on (smaller though) with same live views. Really cool.

Next to me my wife with her laptop, I install Multiview (stand alone)and she runs the program, types my IP, name and pw and viola... Multiview is working as a stand alone and she can see both cam views live.

Same laptop at my other house where I have a wireless cable modem router, we try to run multiview with no luck. I have not attempted to open or port forward the 4550 & 5550 yet and I know using (canuseeme.org) that both ports are blocked.

What I do not understand is that I have been for some time now enjoying watching other live cams and feeds whether it is at home work relatives location, it did not matter. You go to a site, sometimes you make use of an IP address sometimes not, some places the login is very similar to Multiview, others the cam view is there, but they all worked and unblocking ports have never been an issue or changing anything for that matter. This is what I want to be able to do with my camera views, same simple thing others are doing that I can access anywhere there is a connection.

Could someone point me in the right direction in case I am doing it all wrong or maybe not using the right software. If you think that I am set up incorrectly, then is there a simple guide to doing it the right way. The manual is for the experienced (definitely more than I). I am willing to try things one at a time. Just need some help.

Alright, I think I see the problem. It looks one of two things is happening here. What is the IP address you're using to connect to the DVR? Do you have a static or dynamic IP address for your home?

And you're not quite understanding how port work on most systems. Most firewalls built into routers are designed to block unrequested incoming connections. So random traffic on gets dropped unless someone asked for it like your web browser.

Port forwarding disables this for a specific port and directs the flow of incoming traffic to a server. The all applies to incoming traffic only. Outbound traffic is almost never blocked by a firewall. The assumption for most home and commercial routers is that outbound traffic is expected. And so any reply made to those outbound request is allowed back in.

So you rarely need to configure port forwarding on the client end for any internet application.

Thomas,

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my post. At this point I have to resign to the fact that I do not have much experience in networking, actually it is so little that quite a bit of what you write about goes over my head. Don't get me wrong, I am an expert at many things but this is not one.

Having said that, I have downloaded some basic networking guides that deal with the cctv setup. I think that once I start understanding some of the terminologies and what they mean I could start serving my needs a bit better, but most importantly it should allow me to ask precise question.

If you know of any guides or links to them let me know.

Thomas,

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my post. At this point I have to resign to the fact that I do not have much experience in networking, actually it is so little that quite a bit of what you write about goes over my head. Don't get me wrong, I am an expert at many things but this is not one.

Having said that, I have downloaded some basic networking guides that deal with the cctv setup. I think that once I start understanding some of the terminologies and what they mean I could start serving my needs a bit better, but most importantly it should allow me to ask precise question.

If you know of any guides or links to them let me know.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12156

Did you try using the Geovision DDNS service, its on the CD.

Its a lot of work in the beginning to understand/set up these things, don't give up.

its actually pretty simple

let me try, you could always google term you dont get.

don't worry about port forwarding in the remote location, If i understand ur post you are thinking that you need to do port forwarding in the remote location, and you don't need to.

Port forwarding is done on the server side, your home system, pretty much you just tell your router to allow connection on so and so port number. it could be any port number, you just have to tell the router which because by default it blocks everything for security reasons. Once you'll have that setup properly you'll be able to connect from anywhere, motels and airport too.

Next thing you need to know is the way the network in you home is setup. because you mention 2 computers in the house I assume you do have a router already. When you log into the router (if you don't know how to login to the router search by router model) you can tell if it uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) or Static IPs. This is for the home computers that are connected to the router. Most home grade routers ship out with DHCP enabled to help customers go online fast and easy, because DHCP is dynamically assigning IP address to the PCs and the customers don't need to do setting on each connected computer.

So now that you figured how’s your home network is setup we are ready for the 2 scenarios, and their easiest solution:

1. a.DHCP enabled:

If your network uses DHCP my way of doing it is by keeping all existing PCs with their auto configurations and simply manually assigning IP address to the cameras server. I'll use a high IP address, for example is a client home network with 3 PCs I'll assign the Server with ip address of xxx.xxx.xxx.15 , and in a 120 rooms hotel network I'll assign my Server ip around xxx.xxx.xxx.200, the idea is always to have an IP number which will not be included in the DHCP IPs range, so no other network device *might* get the Server IP Address. but never higher than xxx.xxx.xxx.254

The same IP address you assigning here is the IP address you'll need to use in the next step, port forwarding.

b.Static IP:

check the IP address of the attached device and simply manually assign an IP address for the cameras server.

2. Port forwarding

The easiest way is to google your brand+model of router and RTFM how to do that. basically what you need to do is to tell the router to allow connections, both incoming/outgoing, on this and that ports, ie the default ports you'll need for multiview, to the cameras server IP address.

Once you have port forwarding set go here and test it:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

3. DDNS

since your ISP is probably using DHCP for your connection, meaning the public IP is leased for certain times and then changes, you'll want to use a Dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org . What this service does is basically monitoring your public IP and assigning it with a domain name you could use, such as ilovemydogs.dyndns.org

You'll need to register with such service and remember the user details.

After registering with the service you'll need to use the user name on your network so the DDNS service can monitor your IP and make sure your domain name always reflect your current IP address. Some routers let you put the settings in the settings, and some not. if your router does have that option you can try it there or you can install a small updater application that runs on startup and do the IP address changes automatically.

Either get the application from dyndns.org or use GVs application.

If everything is working right you should be able to connect to your cameras using the domain name you got from the DNS provider (ilovemydogs.dyndns.org) from almost anywhere.

you don't need to assign any IP in Geovision software. you assign an IP address to the PC which runs the software and GV reads it. You'll have one IP for all cameras, the same IP address of the server PC.

Sinbad, As with other posters to my topic, you have provided great guidance for me and I am very grateful for all of you that have helped me out.

Everything is working as it is supposed to. Now I just have to find something else I can do with all this and I am sure I will be back.