CoolDude

VCR Replacement

Looking for recommendations on replacing a VCR with a single channel DVR. I have a 16 channel multiplexer so I feel the recorder would be O'k as a single channel unless you would recommend replacing with a 16 channel DVR. I am trying to keep the cost down so would prefer to go single channel. Any recommendations for a machine in the $1000-$1500 range? Would also need 10 days of recording.

Thanks

I am using a Robot 16 channel and yes, I would need Lan. I am really wary of the noname DVRs I see out there so would prefer a "brand" name. Sanyo, Panasonic, Sony etc.

If your budget is $1000-1500, and you need 16 channels, your choice will probably be a single channel add on - in the name brands anyway. GE Kalatel has the DSR-2000e or the DSR-1000e. Both have LAN that works with any network software designed for GE DVRs, They dont do Multi-site, only the all in one Triplex DVRs do that, the difference between the 1000 and the 2000 is basically the 2000 has a S-Video output, while the 1000 does not, plus the 1000 is smaller, and the 2000 has more hard disk size capability. The 1000 max is 160GB (last i checked).

time lapse mode with a DSR-2000 320GB 8 cameras, 24/7 gas station they get 28 days, on 5pps setting. So it depends. You can normally get much longer and faster recordings if using an all in one DVR/Mux. with motion recording. Other than that you could try and sell your mux to get a couple dollars to add to the cost of a new 16 channel all in one DVR Mux. Mind you they arent cheap in the name brands, 16 channel dealer price runs around $3000-3500 depending on hard drive size. Thge Nuvico is around $2200-2400, low end DVRs run around $1000-1200.

Rory