dmor

Megapixel Cam... Can it be used with existing DVR Cards ??

If it can be done, am I looking for a network megapixel box cam?

The system would have to be a hybrid system, capable of supporting both types of cameras. And you wouldn't connect it to the card itself, you would connect to the network.

If you want to be a little more specific I can give a better answer.

Thomas, the fact of the matter is that I have a GV-800 setup. I have played with bullet cams and I am not happy with recorded quality. I have been considering boxcams, but after all the hours of reading on the forum all indications that it will not get me much better quality recording.

This is where the megapixel cam comes in. I really don't know the right questions to ask, and don't know where to even start. I know they are expensive, and I know I do not need to stream to remote view. I just want to record good quality video...Maybe a simple guide to setting up a megapixel cam using a home PC would be a great start for me if doable... I have not been able to find such text anywhere.

regards

Thomas, the fact of the matter is that I have a GV-800 setup. I have played with bullet cams and I am not happy with recorded quality. I have been considering boxcams, but after all the hours of reading on the forum all indications that it will not get me much better quality recording.

This is where the megapixel cam comes in. I really don't know the right questions to ask, and don't know where to even start. I know they are expensive, and I know I do not need to stream to remote view. I just want to record good quality video...Maybe a simple guide to setting up a megapixel cam using a home PC would be a great start for me if doable... I have not been able to find such text anywhere.

regards

I believe Geovision has an option to add IP cameras. If I'm not mistaken (and i may be) it will cost you more.

But before you jump into the deep end, lets look at what you're trying to view. What is acceptable image quality for you? At ten yards what do you expect to be able to make out? At thirty yards, what do you expect to be able to see?

I would say face id @ 30 to 40 yards using a relatively a wide angle lens. 4mm and lower.

Yep, I spotted the problem with the system. You're not going to get a facial ID at 90' with wide angle lens.

You might look at the Geovision IP cam thats the only IP cam that you can add without spending more then a whole different setup would cost.

I would say face id @ 30 to 40 yards using a relatively a wide angle lens. 4mm and lower.

Yep, I spotted the problem with the system. You're not going to get a facial ID at 90' with wide angle lens.

Thomas, Do you mean to say that it is not possible to do with megapixel cams?

Thomas, Do you mean to say that it is not possible to do with megapixel cams?

A facial ID? No, it's not currently feasible with current technology and extremely unlikely to be possible with the next generation of camera technology. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I believe your problem here is unrealistic expectations. A facial ID requires the face to take up a fairly large number of pixels and even with larger resolutions you're not scaling up enough to get a facial ID at that distance.

Quite often, megapixel cameras will give you a greater range in which you can get that kind of ID, but 90' with a large FoV is still in the mythical "CSI" tech level.