aledoux

Help with CB-SD21N IR

I have a Nuvico bullet installed and at times the picture becomes blurry sometimes its just a small spot sometimes its the whole picture. Is there something wrong with the camera? All the default settings are being used. Thanks!

nopic.jpg.bd403fb074357c7186f9efc9d97ef246.jpg

My experience is by no means as extensive as most others on this forum, but I have this bullet camera and while it is the best of the 3 bullets that I have it suffers the "blurry sometimes" issue.

I am an experienced photographer and know that even with the best of lenses, there is an f-stop or a range that produces the sharpest images. I expect (not sure) that it is also true of bullet/surveillance cams.

I have not finished testing, but at the beginning I thought that the focus mechanism was creeping to what was an out of focus image. But then watching the image starting early in the morning throughout the day until night time I found out that there were times when the image was actually as much in focus on a subject as it was when I set it but that seemed to only cover 20% of the daylight span. Later I focused the camera just before it switched to B&W where in my assumption is when the lens is wide open.

It seems to be better now, I would say maybe 50% vs. 20%. Next what I want to do is focus in midday light and see what impact that has on the focus and my last would be at a midpoint of available light. I do use a light meter for that. I should also mention that I do have the out of focus spot that happens occasionally but with a different cam.

I have also played with the settings and for my setup and view the default was by far the best for day and night.

I hope someone will chime in on this subject and method. I am all ears and willing to try and learn.

To the OP.

Make sure theres no water getting into it.

Check for condensation when this condition occurs.

Verify the cables and connections are not too close to any high voltage wires or devices.

What type of wiring is being used?

Are the connections terminated properly?

Where are the connections (eg. gangbox, attic)?

Is this happening with any other cameras there?

It looks alot to me like condensation though. (or steam?)

if that is what it is, open it up and let it dry out for a few hours.

Close it up and seal good. Ive had this problem with some bullets right out of the box.

@ dmor

I havent tried that specific camera as it replaced the ones I have used. I wasnt happy with the previous ones, I mean they were ok but they had issues, and one out of 3 came bad in one order (IR Cut switch over was messed up and there was no fix). But with any True Day Night Varifical camera you need to focus it in low light, not pitch dark but also not in the day - if its extremely cloudy as in some countries (not ours LOL) then you could get away with daytime, but I find it best to just take it in a garage during the day time with full sunlight outside, close the door and focus it there, light on, focus, light off, focus (with IR off then on), then verify the focus with light on and also outdoors, while outdoors in the full sunlight you can then adjust the IRIS if it needed. In my case i can just kick open my garage door and spin around pointing the camera outside, so I can knock out a bunch of them quickly. Once the camera is already mounted it all becomes more difficult.

Rory,

Thanks for the reply! The wiring is siamese cable. Currently there are only 2 of these cameras installed and both do have the same symptoms but never both at the same time. They are connected using BNC/12V DC and they all go to 12V power supply and geovision PC. I havent been in the place while they looked fogged up so I havent been able to see if its condensation but one thing I can tell you is the fogginess is gradual. It starts in one spot and then gets bigger with time.

Rory,

Thanks for the reply! The wiring is siamese cable. Currently there are only 2 of these cameras installed and both do have the same symptoms but never both at the same time. They are connected using BNC/12V DC and they all go to 12V power supply and geovision PC. I havent been in the place while they looked fogged up so I havent been able to see if its condensation but one thing I can tell you is the fogginess is gradual. It starts in one spot and then gets bigger with time.

The gradual fogginess is a good sign of condensation.

I would definitely try to get a look at that when it is occuring, even if someone else at the location has to look at it for you just by looking at the camera's glass close up (dont stare into the IRs though, do it when there is plenty of light or power it down).

Also when you say siamese is that RG59 (coax)?

Rory,

I'll have to swing by to see if there is condensation building on the lens. The wires are RG59. FYI the cameras shipped with Silica packs installed inside and I left them in there.

Funny... I guess my reply was before any attachment was available to view.

rory, thanks for the focus guide, I will try it this weekend since my cam is easy to get to. What in your opinion is a good & reliable day&night bullet cam? I am going to start a thread for that since I can't find much on the subject.