megaserve

What to charge for installation?

Hi i was sondering if anyone could help me out in getting an idea of what i should charge to do an install job.

I have been installing dvr/security systems for a while now, but have neem just doing it for friends and family for favours.

I was now asked to do a job for a friend but a paying job.

It would be an 8 camera system, 6 camera's outdoor and 2 indoors.

Its in a commercial wareehouse, so i would have to run cabling to all 8 cameras, connect dvr to router for networking, and connect to existing alarm system for alarm triger,

Is there a basic charge per "run/camera" or should i charge per hour?

Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I'll help much but this is what I do and think.

I think it all depends on what the market will bear in your location. Right now there are a lot of people without work due to economic conditions so I'm seeing more challenge in the estimates I put together. THis is how I figure mine and it is really a start because sometimes I play with it a little thinking about that tight space or how long of a run.

I typically start with $150 per camera installed, $300 for DVR setup including network configuration through whatever router they got, $250 per PTZ camera as I usually got two cable run plus PTZ programming. THen on top of that I got the hardware markup which varies really so I have no science there.

Curious to see how others figure it but this seems to work for me, other may get more per camera and other may get less. I do not charge per foot of cable so the cable is included in my labor charge per camera. Thats why I just use this as a baseline because if I have a long run for the cable I will charge more for that camera than the others.

My estimates include one line item with a description of what is included. I NEVER itemize it on the estimate unless I need to because I've been burned this way in the past.

Some things to consider .....

I think many here are licensed and bonded contractors such as myself. So the customers are paying not only for our experience and knowledge, but also for a confidence in that we will be in business and there if warranty service is required. If a mishap should happen during the installation, they know we have insurance that will cover any kind of repair someone else may need to perform. There is no issue getting around permits / inspections which may need to be documented for insurance discounts provided by our installations.

When I just worked for a company, I did a good amount of "side work" where I came in similar to the position you sound to be in. I knew that I could not offer everything that would be there if I came in as a representative of my employer and hence did not charge near the same rate for labor or mark up of equipment I provided. So do consider that anyone paying for your services may be taking a chance on you expecting a major savings in return.

Just food for thought.

Also, be careful if you connect to an existing alarm system.

If you open the alarm panel up, it may require an engineer reset (and set off the alarm bells probably, or worse they could have a smoke cloak that also activates on tamper, very, very unlikely but you never know without checking...) which may well cost them money.

It may be a monitored alarm, so the police may turn up (in the UK you can lose police response to monitored alarms if you have too many false alarms, I believe in some countries/areas police response is chargeable for false alarms).

It may well be in breach of any contract they have with the alarm company.

It may well (and will appear in the logs that you have been in the alarm) cause their insurance to be invalidated due to unauthorised tampering with the alarm (if the alarm is part of the insurance terms).

Craig makes a good point. Also, you need to check the local laws. In New York you need to be a licensed alarm installer to install cctv equipment. Although locksmiths, computer repair places and other trunk slammers jump into the business, the law still stands.

Sorry to write here, but did you get the PM from me? I am not sure if it works?

JD

Thanks everyone who has posted, i did not expect so much response, you guys are all great. As for working with the alarm, it is not a problem as its a new alarm which i am also installing nd am very comfortable installing/programing alarms as i have been doing so for many years.

(Joindvr..... I did not recieve your pm...

Once again.

Thanks,

I do hope that first response did not come across as discouraging you from doing the work. My intended point was to just put into prospective how much less you should consider charging.

As a conventional electrician years ago, most of my weekends were, like most electricians, spent doing "side jobs" There was an actual standard in regards to what people expected to pay an electrician for these "under the table" projects being $35.00 per hour vs. the $65.00 when out there representing your company. If you just try and slightly beat the prices customers have been provided bids for from licensed contractors, they will consider the factors I had originally mentioned and expect a much greater discount.

The great thing is you have the knowledge base many of the guys here have to offer regarding questions. I sure have learned a great deal reading here.

We bill at an hourly rate but every job differs. We walk, measure, and project each job on site or with plans. The same 4 camera system installed in a small convenient store will not be quoted the same installation as the same 4 camera system in a warehouse. You have to take account for the time you will spend out there, including getting on a ladder, what kind of material you will be anchoring to, how high you will need to get, maybe the use of a lift, etc.

Without even looking at the project details, this could easily be a 16 hour job, 2 guys could possibly knock it out in one day.