cottonloops

Digital Watchdog? I Need Advice

I am in the need of a simple dvr for my deli. I've been offered a Digital Watchdog DW-MAX250 dvr made by Kaltech by a local sales rep. Does any one know anything about this brand? I need a basic 4 channel dvr with 250gb+ h/d and internet monitoring capibilities. This is my first dvr purchase for surveillance and want to spend less than $800. I already have 4 dome cameras w/420 tvl resolution. I'm not expecting the best resolution for recording but am most interested in decent quality for live remote monitoring as well as ease of use. Is this dvr better than the Swann and Q-See brands sold at Costco? Also, is there a big difference in MPEG4 and H.264 compression?

The resolution on that unit will not be very good (352x240 or about a quarter as good as TV resolution) but you said you are not worried about it so its a moot point. It is a real time recorder with 30fps so it won't be choppy. For a little over $525 it will do what you want for monitoring. As far as the Costco stuff, it's probably on par with them.

The resolution on that unit will not be very good (352x240 or about a quarter as good as TV resolution) but you said you are not worried about it so its a moot point. It is a real time recorder with 30fps so it won't be choppy. For a little over $525 it will do what you want for monitoring. As far as the Costco stuff, it's probably on par with them.

352x240 called Video CD res

reg TV is not 4 times better then 320x 240

Your right, I was trying to be over simplified. I was trying to point out that a DVR with CIF resolution will not be as clear as D1 which is also referred to by some sources as TV - an example: http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/cif.cfm.

dont sweat it, ak is just ripping on CCTV equipment, he's an IP camera fan boy.

psst. and that darn bug!

Pretty close though, isn't it? Isn't TV 640 x 480?

3.64 = (640 x 480) / (352 x 240)

Is that not right?

I dont know much about Television but these guys claim:

"the most resolution that will be seen for received TV broadcasts is 330 lines"

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidres.htm

And that could be correct, as I have hooked up many high res CCTV cameras with 800x + effective pixels and their video quality has blown away any TV programs I have watched on the same TVs. Ofcourse they cant match the actual TV Cameras used but thats neither here nor there, just as a CCTV PTZ camera can zoom in hundreds of feet away while a fixed camera cannot and the same object hundreds of feet way will be a blur with the fixed camera.

Edited by Guest

psst. and that darn bug!

I almost broke my laptop screen trying to swat that stupid bug when I first saw it...........Good one AK.........

I was just at Fry's Electronics and the sales dude was trying to sell me a Lorex dvr. Does any one have any experience with this brand? He said that Q-See, Clover, etc are crap and are returned all the time. I'm not looking for anything too high end. Just the best bang for the buck. Would I be better off in terms of picture quality with a H.264 Pentaplex dvr with 320 x 240 resolution or a MPEG4 with 720 x 240. They are both the same price. I'm more interested in picture quality for live Internet monitoring rather than record quality.

I almost broke my laptop screen trying to swat that stupid bug when I first saw it...........Good one AK.........

especially since i actually do have these darn insects crawling on my monitor alot. I went to mash it but it didnt try to run

especially since i actually do have these darn insects crawling on my monitor alot. I went to mash it but it didnt try to run

My is very special

it is IP micro pix Bug

I was just at Fry's Electronics and the sales dude was trying to sell me a Lorex dvr. Does any one have any experience with this brand? He said that Q-See, Clover, etc are crap and are returned all the time. I'm not looking for anything too high end. Just the best bang for the buck. Would I be better off in terms of picture quality with a H.264 Pentaplex dvr with 320 x 240 resolution or a MPEG4 with 720 x 240. They are both the same price. I'm more interested in picture quality for live Internet monitoring rather than record quality.

I would lump Lorex in with the rest of those DVRs actually.

I dont think anyone on the forum is going to recommend either of them .

But will it do the job, it probably will, not sure how well though or whether it will meet your expectations.

Pentaplex is just a fancy name the asian manufacturers came up with to distinguish the difference between their lower end DVRs and the more expensive units.

I wouldnt be happy with 720x240 myself, let alone 320x240.

Look for something that does at least 640x480 regardless of compression type.

My is very special

it is IP micro pix Bug

yeah dem set is get mash too

Rory my "bug" is very usefull

I usually send him inside routers and it's does port forwarding for me

My is very special

it is IP micro pix Bug

yeah dem set is get mash too

Rory my "bug" is very usefull

I usually send him inside routers and it's does port forwarding for me

AK-

You should train more of those bugs to port forward- you'd make a mint renting them out!