squale

Are Geovision cards by far the most popular DVR cards?

Just wondering if Geovision cards are by far the BEST and most POPULAR PC DVR cards available?

I just brought a brand new Geovision DV800-8 card for $350, is this a good deal? it is the one that has the breakout cable on it...

I was toying with going with a standalone DVR system but I see the standalone systems don't have nearly the same amount of features provided in the PC DVR Geovisions systems...

I hope I made the right choice!

Just wondering if Geovision cards are by far the BEST and most POPULAR PC DVR cards available?

I just brought a brand new Geovision DV800-8 card for $350, is this a good deal? it is the one that has the breakout cable on it...

I was toying with going with a standalone DVR system but I see the standalone systems don't have nearly the same amount of features provided in the PC DVR Geovisions systems...

I hope I made the right choice!

i must say, your supplier either ripped you off by seliing you a dodgy geovision card, or you got the best deal, just to confirm a GV800- 8 way for $350 USD, man thats cheap!

check out this link to check if its a fake, did you buy of a reputable supplier?

http://www.geovision.com.tw/002/en/news_updatesonpiracy.htm

yes it's a real card, we verified all of this, he is sending it to me today, it comes with the software cd (version 6.1) it's the new hardware version of the card V3 or whatever it's called, it comes with the breakout dongle, the user's manual and the Watchdog cable.

Is this Geovision card a really good card and the best DVR PC card you can buy?

Still wondering if going standalone dvr would of been better?

here are pics of the card by the way:

http://www.cybassist.com/jkevin/geovision/gv800-8_pic1.jpg

http://www.cybassist.com/jkevin/geovision/gv800-8_pic2.jpg

you tell me if it is a fake?

Squale, if you have the manpower to build PCs, then i say geo is an excellent system. A year ago i wouldn't have touched geovision, i looked at it like a gadget more than a surveillance system, we were reluctant to start building pcs, but it is really an excellent system for features etc, and for the price i think its a really powerful system. We started getting demand for 50fps+ dvrs, and unless you're willing to spend £3000+ for a standalone, i really think this is where geovision can come real handy. Its quite easy to use too, only thing they haven't worked on is one-touch cd-burning. Only problem we had initially was a lack of pc experience, and using the right components, there's a lot of nitty gritty you need to know before you build them, i.e. fans, system reboot etc.

Another thing with them if the free software upgrades, you can offer your customers something literally every month, and make a quick buck out of it too!

yeah from what I can tell from those pics, it looks like a real card, you can sorta make out some of the text on the chips..

CCTVINSTALLER hit it on the head. And you will become very good at PC's and what makes them tick faster, but once you get past the learning curve you be ok. Biggest issue I see is the valunerability of the PC based system compared to the standalone. But if you use a decent firewall and paswords you should be ok. DO NOT use the Server for anything but your Video Server. Some have a thing for loading all sorts of programs on servers and then wonder why they crap out or get a virus? I use the VideoInsight cards and have been impressed with the nice features. Stand alones are for the average, PC based for the technically starved! Match the card to the CPU and keep it cool.

Is that card from a distributor? or like ebay? That's a killer price from what I've seen. I would be interested if anyone knows of any Geo Distributors selling at this price...

I got from a guy on ebay. He brought the card for a client then the client wanted a 16 channel so he sold the card to me.

Anyhow, about the standalone dvr versus a pc dvr, the main purpose of me doing this is so that I can record on motion detection and to view LIVE video from my cameras over the internet while I am at work. I also would like the ability to be emailed or paged to my phone when motion is detected and the camera starts recording. Do standalone systems offer these features, or you have to use a pc dvr system? how does Geovision do with these features?

There is probably a standalone which does this, but you better get ready to pull out the wallet, for features at a price, geo is the best option, for stability and simplicity go standalone

yeah since it's for around the house I think the Geovision should do just fine, right now I have a ****ty webcam sitting in my window, so it doesn't get much worse than that.. lol

and if I decide not to go the Geovision route, well I got a brand new GV-800-8 for $350 so I think I could definately get my money back ya know..

Yes stand alones offer these features and then some. Main feature advantages of PC over stand alones is more audio inputs, motion tracking (only on some of them), and generally faster recording speeds.

Then there are the Enterprise systems which can offer much more, and cost much more. Then there is the Windows XP embedded Stand Alones, which appear to be the most feature rich of PC based / standalone.

hey guys, just checked with the guy I got the brand new GV800-8 card from for $350. He said that the card doesn't come with a box because it's an OEM card and he always gets his cards OEM. But it does have the software, owners manual, breakout cable, and watchdog cable with it. I was just wondering, is the OEM version of this card the SAME EXACT card as the retail version that comes in the nice Geovision cardboard boxes?

I actually didn't know that Geovision sold these GV cards OEM, I thought they were all ONLY retail....?

BTW.. -> I think this guy might have another GV800-8 card for sale, I am checking into it if anybody is interested..