WMills

Digia DVR, Bellsouth DSL - odd remote view problem

Port forwarding on a Netopia 3346, I can see the initial Digia login page but when user and pass is entered it returns a login failure. GE said that its a DSL problem called time syncing error. I am unfamiliar with this. Is there any changes to router configs that can be made to correct this type of problem?

- DVR can be viewed fine on local network - this confirms its not an incorrect password

- Ports have been triple verified to unsure correct ports are forwarded

- Remote connection works when connected at another site on comcast isp to verify DVR is functioning properly

I am aware that the Netopia routers have the internal webserver using port 80 by default so I have it changed to 8080 since the Digia uses TCP 80.

I will be the first to say i'm no expert on the ins and outs and dos and donts of DSL connections. I've set up about a dozen of these unit on cable in 15 minutes or less. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I seem to always run into a break wall setting up DVRs for remote view with DSL. I have read tons of the help documents but most seem to be overviews of how to port foward and how to find the options in certain brands of routers.

Thanks in advance for any help

Will

Am I reading this wrong, you say that you can connect over the LAN and that a remote connection is made with a different site on the WAN, which means that everything is working. You might want to check your firewall settings on your computer, also if you are trying to connect via WAN at the site, this may not be possible, some systems will not allow you to do this, but if you are on site why would you not just use the LAN setup?

Yes I can connect over LAN but customers needs to view from home. I just used the LAN connection check to verify working equipment and cables. There are no firewall options enabled on either the PC at remote site or hardware firewall in router. But all it will do it load the DIGIA login page.

Yes you can have issues playing with a WAN connection to the LAN you are currently on. Linksys routers are smart enough to see the WAN request (DDNS is always a WAN request) and realize this is in reality local. Most will forward you seemlessly once DNS has resolved the IP address as it's own.

DVR can be viewed fine on local network - this confirms its not an incorrect password

- Ports have been triple verified to unsure correct ports are forwarded

- Remote connection works when connected at another site on comcast isp to verify DVR is functioning properly

According to what you have written here everything is working, the LAN side with viewing of the DVR indicates that all is correct. When connecting from the remote site are you able to log in and view?

The way I understand it your DVR is working correctly since it is viewed locally over the LAN and remotely through a Comcast circuit.

The problem is the DVR isn't viewable from the bosses house and GE says it is a time syncing error. I am not familiar with time syncing errors. Did GE say if that is related to a circuit issue or a hardware issue?

Could you try a different modem at the bosses house? Or call his ISP's tech support? maybe there is a modem setting to address the time syncing error?

Sounds more like you have an issue with your subnet mask or something within your gateway. I would double check all of your settings or possibly post them here if you don't mind.

Maybe post all the settings in the dvr and then post all of your settings in your router.

IP/Gateway/Subnet (dvr)

and then Ipconfig your computer for the ip/gateway/subnet.

I think something does not match.

Sounds more like you have an issue with your subnet mask or something within your gateway. I would double check all of your settings or possibly post them here if you don't mind.

But did you catch the part about it working from a remote Comcast circuit?

I'm not much of a networking guy, but this is what I'm seeing:

1) DVR works locally

2)DVR works remotely from a Comcast circuit

3)DVR does not work remotely from clients home DSL circuit

4)GE says it's a Time Sync Error.

If this were my problem I would be asking GE what a Time Sync Error is. Time sync sounds like a modem or circuit issue more then a routing issue to me.

The information is getting a bit mixed up. Let me lay it out again.

-Can connect and view over LAN

-Can connect to login page over WAN but returns a "Login Fail" error when user and password are entered

-ISP at site is Bellsout DSL using a Netopia 3346

-Remote location is not part of the equation, same error is returned when attempting to connect from multiple locations(my house, my office, customers house all 3 seperate ISPs)

I contacted GE and they stated that is if I could connect to DIGIA II DVR and see the start page but error is returned when attempting to login, that this was most commenly due to a "time sync issue" from DSL.

All firewalls are turned off, the subnet has been verified as correct, all required ports are fowarded to the DVR. One more interesting that to point out is the DIGIA allows max 4 simultanious users to be connected. If I attempt to login 4 times and get the login fail 4 times, on the 5th attempt is also returns a error about maxium number of connected users is reached. So, its sorta like the connection has been made but its just not communicating back and forth.

The only reason I mention Comcast was because I have connected about 8 of these units on Comcast ISP connections and it always goes off without a hitch and my main concern was that I was overlooking something about using DSL.

Thanks again for all your responses so far

Sounds like everything on the dvr side is configured properly, also sounds like the modem and dsl are not configured for the dvr, check with the dsl provider to see if they are blocking ports for the dvr or a firewall is turned on the modem, or it needs to be bridged.

1) DVR works locally

If this were my problem I would be asking GE what a Time Sync Error is. Time sync sounds like a modem or circuit issue more then a routing issue to me.

Yep, I seen that but I still think he's just going to get a run-around from them and will end up having to figure it out on his own. If it's a router I know how to use I can try to set it up for you to see if I can access it from our location.

Otherwise uhm... I wish him good luck?

1) DVR works locally

Yep, I seen that but I still think he's just going to get a run-around from them and will end up having to figure it out on his own. If it's a router I know how to use I can try to set it up for you to see if I can access it from our location.

Otherwise uhm... I wish him good luck?

I did misunderstand. I thought he could connect to the DVR from a remote location. Turns out that the DVR works AT a different location! But yeah, time sync sounds like modem or LEC settings.

WMills, can you put in another modem and router for testing purposes? With the password and username in hand you should be able to set that up in just a few minutes.

I had the same problem which had me stumped for longer than I would like to admit. I could login to the DVR over the lan, but not over the internet. The problem was with the way I set up port forwarding on the router. Port 80 was sent to port 80 and the range of ports from 9091 to 9112 were all sent to 9091. The port that is used for logins is port 9092, so you get as far as that and then it fails. You must send port 9091 to 9091 and then send 9092 to 9092 and 9093 to 9093 one at a time and so on all the way through to 9112. Remember to send 80 to 80, I would not use 8080, set your dvr software to use the standard port 80.

Good Luck

Frank