kaysadeya

Dedicated DVR or PC-based DVR system < $1000 US

Hi, just found this forum tonight, so please forgive me if this question has been asked thousands of times...

I've had several security cameras around my home for years and have used a cheapie Lorex timelapse VCR as a recorder. It's since broken down and, rather than try to repair it, I'm giving serious consideration to some sort of DVR-based recording solution. (I'd love not having to worry about changing tapes every night.)

I currently have 6 cameras, but would like the option to expand. So far, I've fixated on a PC-based 16-channel geovision 650 card, but I'm not sure my old AMD-based Compaq 7000 series PC is up to the task. I suspect I'd have to invest in a new PC with a big-assed HD, which brings the total DVR solution up to around the $1000 price point.

Before I commit to a PC-based geovision solution, I've like to research what my options are for a dedicated DVR in the same price range. If anyone has ideas on this, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

For 4 and 8/9 ch DVRs, I think stand-alone is the way to go in terms of price unless you are looking for a DVR unit with all the bells and whistles such as real-time recording, CD-R, VGA output, multiple HDDs, etc.

If your application is not critical, there are many stand-alone DVRs under $1000 that provide decent frame rate, stability and compression. Good luck.

Thanks, Powertelecomm.

Do you have any recommendations? The choices out there are overwhelming, and the stand-alone DVRs that are most often discussed here are of the industrial variety and out of my price range.

Well, I think you need to decide on the number of channels first. Since you have 6 cameras already, it make sense to go with 8/9-ch DVR. Then set a budget amount. Without a budget you can end up spending anywhere upto $2000 for a full-featured unit.

Then, make a list of "must have" features such as frame rate, HDD size, remote access function, PTZ control, and other requirements. Based on the info, I could recommend you one of ours or another model that best fits your requirements.

He's my budget and list of features I'm looking for...

Budget: ~ $1000

Video Channels: 16 (or 8 with an inexpensive option to expand)

Audio Channel: 1 ok, 2 preferred

FPS: 30 or better

HD: 160 GB or better

Resolution: 720 x 480 or better

Sequencing: I'm not sure of this term, but I need the ability to record full-frames from each video signal in an interleaved manner and play back each signal in a separate video stream.

Split-screen viewing: Ability to view multiple video signals on same screen.

Motion detection: Change speed when motion is detected within pre-specified portion(s) of the frame.

Backup: Ability to download video to VCR or computer.

Video Output: to standard TV sets.

Remote control: Ability to select individual cameras and set split screen view.

Quality: Product with a good reputation and proven track record (burned once on my Lorex VCR). I don't want to have to shop for another unit in 5 years.

Low maintenance: Set-it-and-forget-it

Internet access: nice, but not necessary.

Some of the units on:

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/Video-Recorders/Digital-Video-Recorders/index.asp

look interesting, but I don't know anything about their quality.

I'm fairly familiar with Security Camera World. In fact, they are in the process of evaluating some of our products. We actually have one of their 16-ch models with network option (777 model). This DVR is a low cost "no frills" unit that is stable and from a reputable manufacturer. Personally, I've never tested the first model on the site so I can't really comment either way.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll PM or email you with the price. Since you seem to be in SF, you can actually stop by our SJ office and demo it before buying if you'd like.

WE've had tonnes of problems with that 777 model, mostly PSU problems, very very cheap quality, and its only 18fps, their webserver is a big seller though. I'd use the SCW-16 model instead, for a little more, you get reliability, we've never had major probs with this model, built in ethernet card and comes with a remote control, only thing i dont like is the compression quality. They've also released a new model with CDRW which is quite impressive for the price, and ideal for low end jobs. Hope some of this helps

Can you expand on the problems with the AV Tech 777 unit? We were one of the beta testers for their 777W and so far everything has been good for us. I sold few to our clients and so far the feedback has been great.

If 777 model was really problematic, I can't imagine the manufacturer not fixing those problems and releasing a new version. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

We used quite a few of the AVtech777 without webserver, and had many PSU problems. Personally i think it is a very cheap unit, and although initially i thought it was quite good, after a few installations, we got so many phone calls saying the DVR is busted. Everyone we checked, we found out it had a PSU problem, so had to spend an extra £20 on a 12V PSU. My supplier tells me AVtech have fixed the PSU problem, but i prefer the argus model because not only is it 50fps, you get a remote control, built in web-server, loops, and they use a decent PSU (Lishin electronics), fairly cheap, but they use the same PSUs for many branded laptops. Hope some of this helps

this is the one I just ordered:

http://www.active-tek.com/jun/HtmlPro/product1-2eng.htm

http://www.uriel.net/htm/product/tm4_001.htm

http://www.hananet.com/standalone/aboutstandalone.php

nother version of it ..

http://www.globalsources.com/si/6008813742700/ProductDetail/CCTV-digital/product_id-8848975317/action-GetProduct.htm

for the same price of say the HiSharp, it is loaded with features ....

i still sell the no lan avtech DVR though for dead cheap installs.

Rory

CCTVINSTALLER,

Which unit is the argus model? Is it the SCW-C16 you referred to in your previous post? If so, it appears to be a 30 fps unit, rather than 50 fps.

kaysadeya, i think you're right there, my fault, that model is actually a 30fps. Thanks for correcting me. Our supplier over here advertises the dvr as "50fps", i think they mean "50pps" as in the tech manual, because correct me if im wrong, 2pps is equal to 1fps, it fooled us to when we first bought it too. Regardless, i think it is a lot better than the 777 model, however, it's a lot cheaper here too, i mean its its actually cheaper than the 777 model!