f05bf1c2

what cable to use on farm?

hi there, i am going to install 6 PTZ camera in my farm sheds so to monitor the cows when calving. the PTZ cameras would be placed between 50 metres to 150 metres away from the house. my question is what would the best way of getting the signal back to the house? The cables are all going underground. As far as i can see i can either use cat5 of RG59 but i dont no which one would be best? i need to use cat5 in the house as i can hide these easily. the signal needs to be sent to three rooms in the house. If anyone can help me then please get in touch, thanks

depending on what size of conduit it really would not make much difference I would probably run multple runs of cat5 direct bury as that will give you some spares and the baluns are not that much whatever you run make sure it is underground rated as even if you have it in conduit the couduit will get moisture in it and you may soon have problems.

Another option for you is to install the DVR in the Shed (if there is somewhere suitable)

Most DVR's have a remote Keyboard option where you can control all the functions of the DVR/Dome.

Then in theory all you need to run back is one CAT5 for picture and keyboard data. Althought I would would run a cat5 and RG59 for picture.

Something to think about !

Another option for you is to install the DVR in the Shed (if there is somewhere suitable)

Most DVR's have a remote Keyboard option where you can control all the functions of the DVR/Dome.

Then in theory all you need to run back is one CAT5 for picture and keyboard data. Althought I would would run a cat5 and RG59 for picture.

I had a look on ebay and all i could find are DVR with an RS485 output but no input, the only input is through the internet. Im guessing you would need an input from the Keyboard controller so the DVR would change to the channel you choose on the keyboard controller. Have you any idea where i could find a DVR like what your talking about and for ok money? I like your idea as it would save alot of hassle.

Question: What about power to the cameras? Can that be done locally or are you going to power them from near the DVR as well?

I usually use a single combination cable that has power + two twisted pair for video and PTZ control. However, I have not seen a direct burial version of this cable so you'd have to use conduit. Perhaps an easier way would be to run two separate cables to the camera--direct burial power (16/2 or 18/2) + direct burial cat5e.

You mentioned that the output had to be piped into 3 separate rooms. Do you need to control the cameras from three separate rooms as well? Whatever you do, don't try to split a single video out (from the DVR or camera) using a simple passive splitter or "T" connector.

-dw

I had a look on ebay and all i could find are DVR with an RS485 output but no input, the only input is through the internet. Im guessing you would need an input from the Keyboard controller so the DVR would change to the channel you choose on the keyboard controller. Have you any idea where i could find a DVR like what your talking about and for ok money? I like your idea as it would save alot of hassle.

This is a good idea.

Virtually all DVR have a connectors for RS-485 PTZ control. The wiring is just 2 conductors (1 twisted pair of 24awg networking wire). This will not be an isssue with your DVR. Man, if you're buying 6 PTZs, you should invest in a decent DVR.

I would quote Dedicated Micros as this is what I use when installing PTZ/Domes. You can put the DVR anywhere and the Keyboard can run on a cat5 upto 1KM away ! The Keyboard is fully functional with joystick, you can select single/quad/multi screen, playback, event log. Only drawback is these do hurt the pocket.

You should get some feed back from other Guys who have used a similar set up with a budget DVR. Tying looking at some of the advertisers on this site.

Question: What about power to the cameras? Can that be done locally or are you going to power them from near the DVR as well?

I usually use a single combination cable that has power + two twisted pair for video and PTZ control. However, I have not seen a direct burial version of this cable so you'd have to use conduit. Perhaps an easier way would be to run two separate cables to the camera--direct burial power (16/2 or 18/2) + direct burial cat5e.

You mentioned that the output had to be piped into 3 separate rooms. Do you need to control the cameras from three separate rooms as well? Whatever you do, don't try to split a single video out (from the DVR or camera) using a simple passive splitter or "T" connector.

-dw

yeah i need a keyboard controler in each room, i was hoping to just wire all three controlers into the one set of wires going down to the shed, do you no wheather this will work? Also what would be the best way of displaying the image on all three monitors?

This is a good idea.

Virtually all DVR have a connectors for RS-485 PTZ control. The wiring is just 2 conductors (1 twisted pair of 24awg networking wire). This will not be an isssue with your DVR. Man, if you're buying 6 PTZs, you should invest in a decent DVR.

i dont need the dvr for recording, all i need it for is to wire all the cameras into and i am hoping to wire the keyboard controller into it also so that when i choose to look at lets say camera 002 then the dvr will change the channel displayed to the camera 002 by the input of the keyboard controller. Is this possible? i seen rs485 output on dvr's but could not see an input

You could take a look at American Dynamics

You could use a Touch Tracker linked by two wires to their Multiplexer (cheaper than a DVR) which is fully functional and will control pictures. But you will have to use their Domes. £££ $$$

http://americandynamics.net/WebApps/getDocument.aspx?filename=8200-0306-01_C_E.pdf

You can only have two Keyboards though.

This is a good idea.

i dont need the dvr for recording, all i need it for is to wire all the cameras into and i am hoping to wire the keyboard controller into it also so that when i choose to look at lets say camera 002 then the dvr will change the channel displayed to the camera 002 by the input of the keyboard controller. Is this possible? i seen rs485 output on dvr's but could not see an input

One morning you find a lost and confused two-headed calf wondering in the pasture. All the cows dis-own it and don't even acknowledge that it is of the same species. Without a DVR recording how are you going to find the real mother?!?!?!?!

BTW, you never answered the question about powering the cameras. This makes a difference in the wiring / cable choice.

This is a good idea.

One morning you find a lost and confused two-headed calf wondering in the pasture. All the cows dis-own it and don't even acknowledge that it is of the same species. Without a DVR recording how are you going to find the real mother?!?!?!?!

BTW, you never answered the question about powering the cameras. This makes a difference in the wiring / cable choice.

the cameras will all have their independent power supply as the shed is already wired for this. the PTZs are to be placed in a shed where they will monitor a series of individual calving pens. i only need the DVR to be able to switch to which ever camera i am controling as i will be monitoring this live.

This is a good idea.

the cameras will all have their independent power supply as the shed is already wired for this. the PTZs are to be placed in a shed where they will monitor a series of individual calving pens. i only need the DVR to be able to switch to which ever camera i am controling as i will be monitoring this live.

Ok, it seems to me that you could place an inexpensive 8ch DVR in each room and use it two select various cameras/views by hitting buttons on the unit as you suggested. Make sure the DVR of choice has looped outputs to connect the output of the first DVR to the input of the 2nd and so on. Most DVRs also allow you to control a PTZ via its IR remote, but a 3-axis (twisting) controller is much more enjoyable to use. Cat5e with passive baluns should work fine for the distances you mentioned. The PTZ control signal would be wired using Cat5e. The control cable would be connected in a series starting with the PTZ controller farthest away at one end, then the next controller and on down the line to the farthest PTZ. If you have no interest in controlling the cameras over the network, then don't even bother connecting the RS-485 wires to the DVR. Otherwise, connect the DVRs like they were additional controllers (ie, in the series). Note, that some PTZ controllers may interfere with the PTZ control of a DVR (that's my experience, yours may differ). Obviously there is the potential that 2 users could be fighting over control for one camera (especially if some exciting is going on like the birth of a two-headed calf ).

This is sort of a complicated project--make sure you draw yourself a nice picture before getting started.

This is a good idea.

In my last response I made the assumption that there might be users in the 3 rooms simultaneously controlling the cameras. If this is not the case and you had either a desktop computer or laptop, the solution could be simplified by having just one DVR in the closest room. You could then use fairly inexpensive video splitter/amplifier to repeat the video to the other two rooms. A remote connection via a laptop/desktop in the other two rooms could be used to control the DVR for selecting cameras.

Here are some other thoughts: I you didn't have computers in the other room you could use IR repeaters instead that you'd point the hand held remote for the DVR at. Also, if you used a professional video monitor in the second room you wouldn't need a splitter because the monitor would have a "video out" connection for the 3rd room where a standard TV could be used.

I'm sure there are about a 100 more possibilities, but this is what comes to mind of the top of my head.

-dw