josh1e

Avtech 4ch DVR Bios Help please

Hi,

I hope someone maybe able to help?

I have an Avtech AVC760Z(UK) - 7BC20307 dvr, its 4ch with ethernet interface & remote, I recently found what i thought were the right bios update files & flashed it, it hasnt worked since....

I believe i need a new bios chip, it sits in a hotswappable socket and is not surface mounted / soldered.

has anyone managed to recover from a bad flash, can anyone supply / recommend a dealer for a replacement bios chip or reflash mine? (uk based)

I've put here some details for identification as i believe there are different versions of the board / chip / dvr.

Mainboard = AV760M V04A

psu board = AVTECH 760P V0.4A

Bios chip = 44PIN - SyncMOS SM5964 C40JP 0611C N07001CM

Thanks in advance,

I was curious. Why were you trying to change the firmware???

What problem were you having?

This has been an ongoing problem for a very few select individuals.

I used to post all of the firmware on my website. There would be one per year of this kind of problem, but in this year it has escalated to a point that I would rather pull the firmware, and leave all of the DIY high, and dry.

Everyone is trying to contact AVTech with their individual problems, and they feel that they are not being contacted back. The reason is that the vendor who buys from AVTech is the sole owner of the Techsupport for resale. There are those who do, and there are those who do not.

When your car does not start do you call detroit, and ask to talk to Ford, or Cheverolet? No you contact your local dealer, or a local mechanic.

The mechanics do not work for a manufacture, as they only service the vehicle of their choosing.

Do not take it personally if AVTech does not respond as they cannot take in a million calls / emails a day, and respond to them.

Perhaps they should have a system where the vendors are punished for not providing tech support, and AVTech should raise the wholesale price to take the profit away from the "bad" vendor.

I am always telling others that they need to take it back to who sold it to them. I always find that they bought off of a disreputable sellar, and I hate to be the one that told them "I told you so". If you buy it used, or off of EBAY then one cannot compain too much. I have found that in 90% of the cases people really do not need to update the firmware. If it is working then why update it other than the manual tells you so. Most problems are unrelated to the firmware. Hardware Resets solve most issues, and Factory Default solve the other problems. This leaves the kind of problems that are created due to a custom one up application that an individual is trying, and they do not want to paysome one to create the software that they wish to have, and they try to do some "easy way out" solution that just is not going to work no matter what they are trying to do.

Language firmware would be that exception, but if you buy from a Chinese Source, then you should expect a chinese menu.

I would love to figure out the main cause of this situation. I do not have the funds to hire someone to resolve this issue as I am only a local dealer, and not some multistate conglomerate.

Anyone have an Sync MOS burner? How much would you charge me to burn some SM5964?

How would I dissimemnate these chips? I cannot buy every "bricked" DVR should there be an error in the firmware verses mainboard version.

Add in the new AVC 760 A / AS and things will really get confusing then!

I am interested in a solution! Who can I depend on?

Edited by Guest

Hi Scorpion,

think i hit a sore point?

I am a computer retailer / repairer & we had a request for a DVR from a customer, as he added cameras to the system he upgraded & we took in this one in the upgrade.

The unit is now well out of warranty, and as you say others have, we did contact avtech, although not even a courtesy email referring us to a local supplier / dealer.

I didnt want to complain about lack of service etc, I presumed it was our fault & just hoped someone maybe able to assist / have a workaround.

I originally flashed it because we had choppy video, sometimes it wouldnt respond to keypresses in a timely fashion, it felt sluggish to respond & would sometimes forget what it was doing, having replaced the hard drive for a new "surveillance" drive, I noticed new firmware & thought we would see if it helped.

Thanks,

I did not mean to sound as if I was coming down on you. I apologize.

Your post is a damn good post! Your post is going to create a number 1 google search link. I put the info in there more for others who come across this post.

It just rattles my cage that there are people like you who have a problem that could be solved, but I am just a little business on the block, and I do not have the resources to do so.

For the cost of these machines I doubt that I could get a band of owners to chip in say $100.00 and buy burner, and try to resolve the problem.

What do you think?

Hi Scorpion,

no problem mate, i appreciate the reply / help, I thought by your reply you had been plagued by end users with similar issues

Since posting I have found a friend locally with his own eraser / writer, i've been told that to program the chip he would just need an adaptor & the correct firmware, but i dont know which is the correct firmware to use or which firmware was on it.

I re-programmed it some time ago & co-incedentally i think from nosing through your website, I recognise it as the website i found the updated firmware i tried to flash

I'm thinking maybe I took the wrong firmware from your site originally, or the right firmware & just messed up with the flashing procedure? but i've since changed my own pc & dont have any of the orginal files, backed up original rom or copy of the firmware i tried to use

I'm going to speak to my friend tonight about his programmer & which adaptor it needs to see if its viable, if so & i get any success, i'd be happy to pass on his details for others with the same problem.

kind regards

I would just send you everything I have, and then I would have your burn one of each, and then you can swap it out until it works, and then you can swap it out to see which ones work, and which ones do not.

There is one firmware that does not have a file in it, and another one that does has an extra file in it. The one that you may have is the one missing this file.

There are several sites that has this firmware, and it has been removed from most of them.

I can send you the one with the extra file in it.

You can email me a sales@scorpiontheater, and then I can email them to you.

Ask your guy how much it would cost to burn, and earn a profit, and mail me some of those chips.

I would like to test one with you first, then test one with a guy that also came to this forum with the same problem, and then we can start the ball rolling from there.

What do you think??