kaysadeya

How Many DVR Manufacturers?

Call me slow but I'm starting to get the idea that what appears to be an overwhelming variety of low-cost DVRs on the market are actually "repackaged" units from a handful of manufacturers.

If this is not the case, then the industry would appear ripe for consolidation, likely leaving the majority of DVR owners without any support.

If this is the case, then who are the manufacturers? Who is the largest? Who has the best track for quality and support? How can a customer determine the origin of a unit that has been repackaged by a VAR?

Call me slow but I'm starting to get the idea that what appears to be an overwhelming variety of low-cost DVRs on the market are actually "repackaged" units from a handful of manufacturers.

If this is not the case, then the industry would appear ripe for consolidation, likely leaving the majority of DVR owners without any support.

If this is the case, then who are the manufacturers? Who is the largest? Who has the best track for quality and support? How can a customer determine the origin of a unit that has been repackaged by a VAR?

This is not really a subject that can be answered - "Who is the largest?"

There are many many high selling DVR manufacturers to this day. Some are larger in sales than others, some are larger in profits than others. Price of the DVR themselves can play a big part in this, as well as demographics. There is currently no way to determine who is the largest manufacturer of DVRs.

Basically, if it doesnt say "Made in the [enter your country here]" then it is most likely from Asia. If it is a low end cheap DVR, then it most likely is from Asia.

One place to look at is www.asmag.com, and look under DVRs category.

As for support, the best support would be from a local Distributor that carries the line of DVRs. Unless you can stock alot of the product, buying direct from Asia is not recommended. Distributors of specific DVRs will normally test and use the product for a while before they sell it, if they dont, they should be doing so. Even dealers/integrators should be doing that also.

I cant say I know of one low cost (low end) DVR that is not made in Asia. Even some of the higher end DVRs that are designed in the US (for example) are put together in Asia to lower costs.

And then, some even say "Made in [enter your country here]" while the interior hardware is 100% made in Asia such as a PCI DVR card, but the outer case is produced in the [enter your country here], with their name on it. They just buy the MBoards and DVR cards and put their names on the case. Some dont even do that, they just buy the DVR from Asia at OEM pricing and put their name on it. Some big name CCTV Manufacturers (US based) are also known to do this.

Rory

Edited by Guest

Thanks for visiting my store!!!!!

Just kidding, that unit in specific is manufactured by YOKO-TECH

www.yoko-tech.com

They manufacture these OEM for many american manufacturers, and I have used them in installations plenty of times, whith only one problem, the power supply went bad, which is not bad considering the only problem for more than 100 units that I have sold.

If you want more detailed information, send me an e-mail

hermin@shscomputers.com

Most distributors (and dealers/integrators), such as Herm, would be more than glad to give you the name of the manufacturer.

Its the local manufacturers that re label it with their name on them, that is more likely to be unwilling to give out that information.