Javik

Portable LCD monitor / DVD player recommendations?

Well, I see it is definitely a lot easier to install fixed position cameras if I can carry around a portable video display to plug into the camera and check it right there in the hallway.

This works way better than calling back to the server room over a radio and saying "move it up a little", "left a little", etc.

However, doing this onsite testing with an old CRT monitor is a major pain. Need a cart. Need a long power cord for the cart, etc. I'd be much better off with a portable battery-powered LCD monitor.

I don't really see much for high-resolution portable LCD monitors, but there are plenty of portable DVD players available which just so happen to have A/V inputs on the side.

Any recommendations for particular portable video monitors?

I know the cheapest DVD players and monitors use a super-low resolution LCD so the picture quality isn't much better than about 320x240 (4:3). I'd prefer a better display capable of 640x480 for good image focus and detail, but of course this pushes up the portable LCD price.

My co-worker just picked up an Archos - little pricier, but hi-res screen, and can be a video source as well (test signals, etc.). Also comes with a wrist strap, so you can keep both hands free.

I have a portable DVD/CD player (pretty cheap) w/ a 7" screen. It has a video in/out switch that allows me to pump video into it and see it on the screen. It's only drawback is that the screen is not backlit so in sunlight I have to shade it to keep the picture from washing out.

I have also just gotten an Archos (much smaller & backlit) but haven't tried it out yet for that purpose. I bought the archos for those interminable sessions in the gym & then found out it had a lot of potential.

There are several in the Super Circuits catalog. Most are around $250 for color.

I use the Rapport 337, it's about $550 - $600. It has several features. PTZ, OHM, power meter and video out test pattern back to the monitor to see if the cable good and not a bad camera.

The only bad thing is keeping the batteries charged. I had to make a 12VDC pack to carry in my pocket.

There are several in the Super Circuits catalog. Most are around $250 for color.

I use the Rapport 337, it's about $550 - $600. It has several features. PTZ, OHM, power meter and video out test pattern back to the monitor to see if the cable good and not a bad camera.

The only bad thing is keeping the batteries charged. I had to make a 12VDC pack to carry in my pocket.

Two words: gel cell. Also handy for powering 12V cameras!